SPOILERS: The Tyrell situation

The show indicates that Olenna is still in charge of the Reach as she is making alliances, but they left us no clue who actually would inherit after Loras, as they seem to be indicating there are no more Tyrells, with her comments about having no future.

In the books, Loras has two older brothers, Willas and Garlan, and a ton of cousins, one of which is at the Citadel where Sam just arrived in this episode, so there would be a lot more options if things play out similarly.    

52 minutes ago, Rose Tyler said:

Willas Tyrell is still alive, Olenna was running from the HS not Cercei and Highgarden controls the food for most of the south so they are still powerful.

Not a show character. On the show, the Tyrell line is officially extinct.

@Warsaw Did they state that in the show that the tyrell line is extinct? For all we know we could be introduced to highgarden in season 7 which I think will happen, Highgarden will be taken over by Garlan or Willas as officially Willas and Garlan Tyrell exist in HBO show canon in the family tree but yes they were cut from the show and their status as Alive so if the show adds them then they could take control. Dany will most likely landfall in Dorne and travel up, I assume this due to the Season 7 location in spain for battle scenes, if she lands in dorne then she would travel up through highgarden and possibly marry Willas or Garlan as Ollena would negotiate a strong alliance and thus see Tyrell line grow strong (as their motto state) again, seeing as Dorne doesnt have anyone to marry off to dany. The most plausible thing I believe to happen only if these characters are added though Ollena has never mentioned them before and therefore would be a plot hole to cover up. Idk just theorizing here. 

What do you think?

24 minutes ago, OceanRunner said:

@Warsaw Did they state that in the show that the tyrell line is extinct? For all we know we could be introduced to highgarden in season 7 which I think will happen, Highgarden will be taken over by Garlan or Willas as officially Willas and Garlan Tyrell exist in HBO show canon in the family tree but yes they were cut from the show and their status as Alive so if the show adds them then they could take control. Dany will most likely landfall in Dorne and travel up, I assume this due to the Season 7 location in spain for battle scenes, if she lands in dorne then she would travel up through highgarden and possibly marry Willas or Garlan as Ollena would negotiate a strong alliance and thus see Tyrell line grow strong (as their motto state) again, seeing as Dorne doesnt have anyone to marry off to dany. The most plausible thing I believe to happen only if these characters are added though Ollena has never mentioned them before and therefore would be a plot hole to cover up. Idk just theorizing here. 

What do you think?

They did when Olenna was talking to the Sand Snakes. 

But I thought she had previously offered to marry Sansa to Willas on the show. If they did, they have officially "forgotten" the event. 

1 minute ago, ErasmusF said:

But I thought she had previously offered to marry Sansa to Willas on the show. If they did, they have officially "forgotten" the event. 

I think they were to marry her to Loras? I cant remember but having them apart from the HBO official family tree in the viewer guide means they are a possible cast for future seasons I mean

Spoiler

they did just blow up half the cast, so plenty of room to fill in 

3 minutes ago, OceanRunner said:

I think they were to marry her to Loras? I cant remember but having them apart from the HBO official family tree in the viewer guide means they are a possible cast for future seasons I mean

Hide contents

they did just blow up half the cast, so plenty of room to fill in 

They could take the easy way out and retcon that he was in the Sept of Baelor when Cersei blew it up. That's what I'd do. He was lingering at the back because he's shy and he has a bad leg.

47 minutes ago, Alan of Rosby said:

They could take the easy way out and retcon that he was in the Sept of Baelor when Cersei blew it up. That's what I'd do. He was lingering at the back because he's shy and he has a bad leg.

Who, Willas? I would assume Ollena wouldnt have Garlan and or Willas if apart of show be anywhere near kings landing especially around the time she was leaving...Loras was trapped, Mace was dumb and master of coin with obligations and Margeary was playng the Game she stayed for family....Ollena left and if Garlan and Willas were there they would have been more apparent as their siblings are going through this conflict unless Ollena forced them to stay home for saftey, thats how I'd write it, she keeps quiet on her other grandchildren to protect her line idk...

27 minutes ago, ErasmusF said:

Yeah in the show Loras took over Willas's storyline (and kept his own). He was supposed to marry Sansa and then Cersei was supposed to marry Loras after Sansa married Tyrion. No brothers are ever mentioned and one of the reasons Olenna was so freaked out by Loras's imprisonment is because he was the "future of the house" aka the last male heir. There are no more Tyrells, as it were, but it seems Olenna is in charge of Highgarden at the moment (and I mean who would even try to take it from her, woman is scary (in the best way)). 

Loras was the only male in show, hence Tywin threatening to basically end the name by 'requesting' Loras join the KG. I remember the season one family tree had I think one sibling at least though.

Tyrell was one of my favorite houses but goes to show what the game of thrones has become, not so much getting the thrones now but wiping out houses to get it/power in general = Martell/Bolton/Tyrell/Baratheon (If Gendry is a bastard and not a twist), the Starks namesake is gone unless Bran fathers a child, Targs on brink if they all die, If Tyrion doesnt father or dies and the twins die then Lannister will be gone too...all these once great houses will be gone to leave smaller ones to take its place...very interesting, I like this about GRRM, no one or house is safe.

22 minutes ago, OceanRunner said:

Who, Willas? I would assume Ollena wouldnt have Garlan and or Willas if apart of show be anywhere near highgarden especially around the time she was leaving...Loras was trapped, Mace was dumb and master of coin with obligations and Margeary was playng the Game she stayed for family....Ollena left and if Garlan and Willas were there they would have been more apparent as their siblings are going through this conflict unless Ollena forced them to stay home for saftey, thats how I'd write it, she keeps quiet on her other grandchildren to protect her line idk...

She did say her line was gone though, so if Willas is a canonical character in the show than he must be dead.

21 hours ago, Alan of Rosby said:

The Tyrells are all dead. Is there a cadet branch of House Tyrell that inherits Highgarden and her army? Olenna Tyrell is in exile so she might as well be dead as far as inheritance goes.

Yes! Margaery mentioned her cousin Allana Tyrell back in season 3. The people who write this show don't care about continuity, though, so don't expect her to make any appearance. Apparently the powers that be in Highgarden are happy to be ruled by a Redwyne matriarch now in place of a true Tyrell.

Good question!

The idea of Olenna (and Luthor) only having 2 grandchildren in the context of a powerful House in a Middle Ages context is almost ludicrous. Certainly dangerous. If Mace didn't have any brothers you would have to see if Luthor had brothers with a line of male descendants.

Archived