Why did the Show discard Robb's will, only to arrive at the same outcome less credibly?

36 minutes ago, Bastiat1 said:

I don't see how Jon gets declared KITN in the books given that Stannis is still alive and will go on to defeat the Boltons himself 

Stannis, you know.  No.    

One of the best thing D/D did was end him and his quest for the throne.  Could have even ended at Blackwater.  

I hated how he never listened to Davos warnings as well.  A fitting end with Brienne doing the chopping.  

2 hours ago, Bastiat1 said:

I don't see how Jon gets declared KITN in the books given that Stannis is still alive and will go on to defeat the Boltons himself 

I don't think he's dead in the show... I know that Ramsey mentionned something like they found his body... And Roose was asking about the person who killed him...

The show convinced us that Brienne killed him... "A man who pronounced the sentence should execute ... "

So maybe Ramsey was lying... Or he's in fact dead but the show runners want us to keep thinking about that... Like they did with Shaggydog... They killed him offscreen. People kept saying that it wasn't shaggydog's head... it was too small to be his... The great north conspiracy... And so on... But then, we finally come to the conclusion that it was Rickon's direwolf...  I really don't know... 

The hound... It was clear that he wasn't dead... I knew that... But people assumed that he was dead... But then, 'Baby I'm Back'...

2 hours ago, Bastiat1 said:

If Stannis is dead in the show, he will die in the book too. He might last longer than the show but he won't last long. 

On 7/6/2016 at 0:16 AM, Bastiat1 said:

The books have Robb's Will - which we all (or almost all) believe legitimized Jon and explicitly named Jon his heir in the absence of Robb having children (and quite possibly also named Jon as a Regent for Robb's children). Jon rejected Stannis's offer of Winterfell, because Jon believes Winterfell belongs to one of his siblings and doesn't want to steal it from them. Robb going and making Jon his heir is an entirely different situation, and one that Jon is extremely unlikely to turn down.

Stannis, if he's around and aware of Robb's will, might make a deal with Jon to not contest Jon being King in the North, if Jon marries/is betrothed to Shireen. That has the effect of letting it happen but then making it all go away again in such a way that nobody looses face and firmly welds the North back into the Seven Kingdoms under Stannis's Iron Throne.

Of course, Stannis might end up dead for real before the Will comes into play for Jon. Or distracted elsewhere, too busy to get involved.

Here is something interesting to think about when it comes to the situation in Winds of Winter.  Jon actually was the one who is actually in charge during the entire episode up North.  Jon is the one who Davos seeks out for judgment about Melisandre.  Jon is the one speaking at the council.  Heck, Jon is the one who is ordering the servants to prepare chambers.  I am not sure what Sansa is doing.  All the council did was confere on Jon formal titles associated with the actual authority he was already exercising.

The point is it seems like Jon is the one who is doing the actual ruling, so it makes sense that the lords would choose him over her.  Sansa may have been relying too much on her birthright.  Of course, we don't know how she feels; perhaps she is okay with it because it thwarts Littlefinger's ambitions.

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2016 at 7:57 PM, bent branch said:

Why did they basically throw out books 4 and 5 and substitute it with a bunch of blathering nonsense? They still took two years to tell the story they did and it is full of blithering nonsense. Why they didn't find a way to use the storylines in the books is beyond me. I have been quite annoyed at how they have handled the northern storyline over the past two years. Ending up declaring Jon KitN just doesn't make any sense from the path they took.

1)  They married Sansa to Ramsay in order to placate the northern lords who were still loyal to the Starks. Turns out, the northern lords didn't care about the Starks and cared even less about Sansa. This means the only part of the Winterfell storyline they kept from the books is Ramsay raping his wife. Although I do understand Sansa's motive for marrying Ramsay better after this season. Seriously, if he hadn't been so terrible to her she might have actually be loyal to him.

2)  Most of the northern lords didn't give a shit about Jon, Sansa, Rickon or Winterfell returning to the Starks. So when Jon's army was almost wiped out they had LF ride in with the Vale army to rescue them. Making Ramsay the hero of last season and LF the hero of this season is something that disgusts me so much I don't even want to get start...

3)  Anyhow, after LF rescues Jon the northern lords decide they must have Jon as their king. Why? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Because of this it was very hard to connect to the scene emotionally. Having their characters do 180 motivationally from episode to episode lowers the quality of the show.

In the books LF and Sansa are still in the Vale. Stannis rallies the North by getting the Ironborn out of the North. Jon has an army of 25K+ combat ready freefolk and scores of giants.

I get it it is the show so they need to pander to Team Sansa. Whose military advice was basically nothing, and she with held vital information that could have helped the war effort. Somehow this makes her the savior of the North?

I am sure the books will be better.

5 hours ago, Slaysman said:

In the books LF and Sansa are still in the Vale. Stannis rallies the North by getting the Ironborn out of the North. Jon has an army of 25K+ combat ready freefolk and scores of giants.

I get it it is the show so they need to pander to Team Sansa. Whose military advice was basically nothing, and she with held vital information that could have helped the war effort. Somehow this makes her the savior of the North?

I am sure the books will be better.

The show really forces   situations and "makes"  things happen. This situation is so contrived.  I am sure they discarded the will because that would have involved new characters that they didn't want to deal with. In retrospect, they should have bothered to introduce the caretakers of the will and  Howland Reed instead of investing in the Sand Snakes. It would have been much better from a story telling perspective (as they like to say).

Archived