Why did the Show discard Robb's will, only to arrive at the same outcome less credibly?

7 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

King lost the north so lets go sign up with the guy who murdered our family totally better.

Which Northern Lords allied with Boltons apart from Karstarks and Umbers? None of them. Just because they didn't want to commit their men to what they thought was a lost cause (like Lord Manderly clearly stated), which would mean more unnecessary deaths (not like Ramsay was going from House to House murdering everyone so they had to fight back), doesn't mean they were backing the Boltons. They weren't, they were Switzerland. They remained neutral, because they were just too ravaged by the war Robb lost.

17 hours ago, David Selig said:

That Ramsay and the screenwriters are both dumbasses.

The producers point out this is like Hitler in his bunker.  Even though it is clear he is going to lose to his men, Ramsay refused to acknowledge it.  Even when he was getting beat in by Jon and taunted by Sansa he thought he was going to get out of it.  He thought the Starks nobility would get be their downfall but Sansa (and to a lesser extent Jon) are past that.

On 02/07/2016 at 11:26 PM, Ruhail said:

Agreed. Hes a pathetic excuse for a commander. Even Tyrion was better than him during the battle of the blackwater.

How did they thank him? Tywin became the ‘Hand of the King’ and Tyrion was forgotten. But this time Jon Snow acted in a stupid way, nearly killed himself, but became KING IN THE NORTH... Joffrey became lord of the seven kingdoms, put Ned to death, and “won” the war of the five kings from his iron chair… I didn’t complain and I won’t complain because I know what I’m watching… “GAME OF THRONES” 

I don't think that everything we would like to happen will in fact happen. Everything has a purpose in Game Of Thrones. Nothing is useless.

People said that Arya, being that far from westoros, makes her story boring...

People thought that Bran going beyond the wall made his story boring and useless (even more boring than Samwell and Guilly’s) but now he's important...

I know Jon has been very stupid especially in the books... drunk and so on... they tried not to bring that image of him in the show...But let just wait, maybe he won't be king for too long...  and Sansa will become Queen in the North... And what? She knows nothing about the WW... Jon can unite the north against the threat beyond the wall... And that might bring him to meet Khaleesi because she would like to be the one and only sovereign... So he, being the king in the north, is a false victory... Lord Umber said in season one "We should rule ourselves. It was the dragons we bowed to! Now the dragons are gone!" Guess what? They aren't... They are coming back... So he won't be king for too long.

Anyways, In the end he will die (after defeating the WW) along with Arya, Sansa, Bran, Littlefinger, Robin, Daenerys, and ...

Valar morghulis 

14 hours ago, unned said:

As far as I remember Robb was declared KITN by the Lords of the North in both book and show, so what's the difference with the current lords of the North declaring Jon the same way? 

I'm dying to know the answer... pathetic isn't it? Robert Baratheon left a will where he proclaimed Ned Strak the Lord until the heir comes to age... What happened to that will? 

Now it seems like everyone would have appreciated if Jon just sat around doing nothing just like the other nothern lords and became King in the north... 

4 hours ago, Being Daenerys Targaryen said:

I'm dying to know the answer... pathetic isn't it? Robert Baratheon left a will where he proclaimed Ned Strak the Lord until the heir comes to age... What happened to that will? 

Now it seems like everyone would have appreciated if Jon just sat around doing nothing just like the other nothern lords and became King in the north... 

Cersei ripped it up in front of ned as he was arrested, tbh I think what had most people annoyed about robbs will is more to do with the show deviating from the books, another example of this is the obsession some posters have about how characters move around in the show, I think they forget it's not 24 they are watching 

19 hours ago, unned said:

As far as I remember Robb was declared KITN by the Lords of the North in both book and show, so what's the difference with the current lords of the North declaring Jon the same way? 

Trueborn son and undisputed Lord of Winterfell

vs.

Bastard "deserter" from the NW while the trueborn daughter sits right next him

^where's that trueborn son? People think him dead.

And actually even if Bran had been present at Winterfell, imo the Lords would still have chosen Jon.

It's wartime

Jon's mercy (there's nothing to forgive, Lord Glover), his dedication to the North and Stark family, his willingness to put his life on the line for Ned's son, his fighting skills, his reputation (the way people talk about you in the North....), his vast knowledge of the threat north of the Wall, him surviving the onslaught of arrows (when he threw himself at them) and battle itself against all odds plus killing many of the enemy soldiers (how legends are born), the need for a warrior to lead them through the War for the Dawn are what convinced the Northern Lords.

Trueborn daughter would be nothing more than a figurehead under those circumstances. That's not the person they're looking for and need at this moment.

It's not a story about following the rulezzz. It has repeatedly shown where being a stickler for rules and birthright entitlement can get you. Ned being the prime example.

And once again, current KITN is not inherited. Neither Sansa nor Bran have any claim on the title on the grounds of being a Stark (btw Jon is as much a Stark as they are if not more).

20 hours ago, Darksky said:

Which Northern Lords allied with Boltons apart from Karstarks and Umbers? None of them. Just because they didn't want to commit their men to what they thought was a lost cause (like Lord Manderly clearly stated), which would mean more unnecessary deaths (not like Ramsay was going from House to House murdering everyone so they had to fight back), doesn't mean they were backing the Boltons. They weren't, they were Switzerland. They remained neutral, because they were just too ravaged by the war Robb lost.

Then they're even more thick for joining now since Jon was such a useless excuse for a leader only good at being saved by other people after getting his army slaughtered.

I don't think we even know for sure in the books if the will is still even around, so really I think its not all that important.  On top of that at this point the realm is at war.  The North only knows of Jon being the last of Ned's sons, whether bastard or not and they are loyal to the Starks. They also adored Eddard.  With that being said what Jon did or who he is doesn't matter to them.  He is a stark and just won back his home. With all that at has happened I don't think people really care at this point.

4 hours ago, messem said:

Trueborn son and undisputed Lord of Winterfell

vs.

Bastard "deserter" from the NW while the trueborn daughter sits right next him

Does it make any difference? Joffrey was a shit BASTARD!! Couldn't hold a Sword properly (only to cut Tyrion's book)... He was a useless King... Who complained? C'mon! 

Im wondering if Sansa is at Winterfell in the book when Jon is proclaimed KitN... Maybe that's the reason why they didn't give her much credit... 

Throughout the show from season 1 to season 5, people were prayer deep inside them that westorosi will finally look at Jon as a Stark... Now that, it is the only thing that northern Lord remember, they forget that, and they claim that he's a Bastard... I DON'T UNDERSTAND ... REALLY...

what I think is annoying is that they finally gave him their attention only when it is revealed to us that Jon is NOT Ned's son... Even though they didn't in fact refer him as being Ned's son. Lady Mormont said "Ned's stark blood w...through his veins... He is my King from this day until his last day..." 

40 minutes ago, Being Daenerys Targaryen said:

Does it make any difference? Joffrey was a shit BASTARD!! Couldn't hold a Sword properly (only to cut Tyrion's book)... He was a useless King... Who complained? C'mon! 

Officially Joffrey was Robert's son! And, Stannis complained. 

At least it should make a difference. We are speaking of a feudalistic society. If bastards suddenly can inherit and overtake the inheritance than the bad pousseys could rule Dorne. Nobody wants that.

And what did Jon inherit? Surely not Winterfell. It belongs to Sansa atm. Once again, he was MADE King (like Robb), he didn't inherit the title (neither did Robb). It's not like the Lords went 'oh btw you are King Robb's heir, you are our King now'. Bran or Sansa wouldn't have inherited it.

People are basing their issue of this plot development on false supposition.  

There is Lady/Lord of Winterfell (Head of House Stark) and there is King in the North. The show and HBO have made the distinction clear. In GOT, those are two seperate titles.

Lord Manderly said 'I didn't think we would find another King in my lifetime', which basically means it's not automatically passed down to the next living Stark (a male or in absence of a male, older female).

For the majority of the only show viewers the coronation of Jon made sense, yes he was stupid, he had no power when he talked to the lords of the north, but he was brave, he did something to avenge his family and to retake Winterfell and viewers wanted to see Jon as a Stark -as a winner at least- and this way was the only way without spoiling his coronation as soon as Lady Mormont appeared. The North Lords now regret not helping Jon, specially after little Lyana was brave and went to war.
Remember the show has to make its own story, it needs to gain rating -you know, to have money to eat- and it needs to be finished in 13 episodes so this is the way they had and it worked.

Again I don't like how the North story is developing, however I got excited and cheered up for Jon when I saw episode 10, at the end of the day it was emotive and I liked it because of that

43 minutes ago, messem said:

At least it should make a difference. We are speaking of a feudalistic society. If bastards suddenly can inherit and overtake the inheritance than the bad pousseys could rule Dorne. Nobody wants that.

However everybody in KL knew who was Joffrey's father and they accepted him anyway, because of fear or whatever but they knew Jeoffrey was a bastard. So maybe the North Lords can omit this bastard thing too, in this context I think it works.

2 hours ago, messem said:

officially through the will, Robert said that Ned Stark was the lord until the heir comes to age...

Plus, Jon didn't inherit the north... It was given to him... Just like he recieved the sword from Lord Mormont. Do you want to complain about the sword aswell? It belongs to the Mormonts but he decided to give it to Jon Snow... Where is the problem?

2 hours ago, Osric said:

For the majority of the only show viewers the coronation of Jon made sense, yes he was stupid, he had no power when he talked to the lords of the north, but he was brave, he did something to avenge his family and to retake Winterfell and viewers wanted to see Jon as a Stark -as a winner at least- and this way was the only way without spoiling his coronation as soon as Lady Mormont appeared. The North Lords now regret not helping Jon, specially after little Lyana was brave and went to war.
Remember the show has to make its own story, it needs to gain rating -you know, to have money to eat- and it needs to be finished in 13 episodes so this is the way they had and it worked.

Again I don't like how the North story is developing, however I got excited and cheered up for Jon when I saw episode 10, at the end of the day it was emotive and I liked it because of that

preach please preach...

Archived