What was the point? [Spoilers]

What was the point of having:

Spoiler

Walder Frey's sons cooked into a pie if Arya didn't let him eat it?  Would have made for a much more compelling revenge story if he had unknowingly cannibalized his sons, a la Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus.

Yeah I thought he had eaten a slice too, and another was being cut when the big reveal of the ingredients came. It would have been more impressive I think if he had bit down on something hard and when he pulled it out of his mouth, it was a finger with the Frey family ring on it.

I wish they wouldn't have done the whole Frey Pie period to be honest.  It brought up way too many questions.  

- How did Arya already make it to the Riverlands so quickly?  
- How did she acquire that serving face?  Did she steal it from B&W?  Kill an innocent girl?
- How did she break into the castle, kill the two Frey boys and Sweeney-Todd them in the kitchens without *anyone* seeing her?
- Why was Walder all alone in his mess hall, still eating?  No guards?  Servers?  Everyone just left?

I can understand the desire to put this scene in the show somewhere, but they opened up another doorway of plot holes that just didn't make much sense.  Of course, I should have come to expect this by now from the Show...do something for a "shock" value, but completely ignore how it was even possible or how it makes sense.

45 minutes ago, SevasTra82 said:

I wish they wouldn't have done the whole Frey Pie period to be honest.  It brought up way too many questions.  

- How did Arya already make it to the Riverlands so quickly?  
- How did she acquire that serving face?  Did she steal it from B&W?  Kill an innocent girl?
- How did she break into the castle, kill the two Frey boys and Sweeney-Todd them in the kitchens without *anyone* seeing her?
- Why was Walder all alone in his mess hall, still eating?  No guards?  Servers?  Everyone just left?

I can understand the desire to put this scene in the show somewhere, but they opened up another doorway of plot holes that just didn't make much sense.  Of course, I should have come to expect this by now from the Show...do something for a "shock" value, but completely ignore how it was even possible or how it makes sense.

Too many questions.... I just sat back and enjoyed it, and just thought, "Arya has skills"

10 hours ago, Charlie Hustle said:

Too many questions.... I just sat back and enjoyed it, and just thought, "Arya has skills"

I agree.  I've finally gotten to the point where I can still enjoy those kind of scenes without worrying about all the explanation that logically should be there.

I kind of liked that they threw in the Frey Pie, as it was something that was enjoyable in the books in a twisted way.

Arya made it from Braavos to not only the coast of Westeros, but the Middle of Westeros, learned to do the face changing trick (maybe she stole the face before she put the Waif's up, who knows?), killed two Freys and managed to bake them (Arya isn't known for cooking, let's change that to "Learned to bake")  into a pie for a celebration feast all within a couple days? I highly doubt Walder would put on a special event for long enough to have made any of this possible.

But who knows, I mean Jamie did have time to teleport to King's Landing after too. Maybe they all picked up spare Valyrian Teleporters from Littlefinger this Season.

1 hour ago, Tchzaelous said:

Arya made it from Braavos to not only the coast of Westeros, but the Middle of Westeros, learned to do the face changing trick (maybe she stole the face before she put the Waif's up, who knows?), killed two Freys and managed to bake them (Arya isn't known for cooking, let's change that to "Learned to bake")  into a pie for a celebration feast all within a couple days? I highly doubt Walder would put on a special event for long enough to have made any of this possible.

But who knows, I mean Jamie did have time to teleport to King's Landing after too. Maybe they all picked up spare Valyrian Teleporters from Littlefinger this Season.

So you would have preferred that a big message on a black fade-in screen each time saying things like “Three months later” instead?  

That would have been utterly lame. They aren't stupid enough to do that, and you know that everyone would hate it.

So you need to learn that the stories are not strictly linear without jumps nor aligned with each other in time.

I can't understand why some people are spitting man about this trivial and in this case essential device.

I also wish they hadn't done it.  It's one thing to kill an enemy,  but it's another to make him a cannibal. How did Arya even think of that? It takes a different type of darkness to do something that unnatural.

In the books, there was a better lead up to the Frey pies, so the payoff was more satisfying IMO.

I would have been happier with Arya simply killing a few key Freys and taunting Walder with that fact.

About Arya spawning in the Twins... just look at a world map. Braavos is not that far away from the Twins. Varys traveled from Meereen to Dorne in a single episode. Arya's voyage was way shorter.

My guess is that she killed a serving girl and got access to the kitchens. No way she arrived in the Twins, got a job there and spend time knowing her way around.

Here is the map, help yourself.

https://podcastwinterfell.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/asoif_world_map.jpg

If the had made some references in this episode  to the fact that they desecrated Robb Stark's body :angry2: or that they deliberately stabbed his unborn child multiple times :angry2:, I think that would have found the pies to make more sense within the context of the show.

As many problems as I've had with Arya's storyline this season, Frey pies is at the bottom of the list.  I am however concerned that since she can change her face and seemingly teleport, that she's going to be used as a killer of convenience whenever D&D need someone dead like Brienne did with Stannis.  

21 minutes ago, twilight said:

True fans remember what they did ;)

The question is as well how much Arya knows about all that. Appearantly the whole planet tells this story, but usually it's bullshit, as we all have seen.

Arya does know. In the show she came across that group of men who bragged about what they did. However, I wish they'd made it part of the play that she watched  in Braavos, so they could remind viewers who don't spend their free time on this forum! ;)

"What was the point?" you ask?

Dramatic effect.  The End.

TRULY deadly efficient and dangerous assassin would have slipped in, crossed all three off before they even knew they were in danger, and then slipped out SOON via an escape route set up in advance.

All the "pie" stuff did was dramatically increase the possibility that Arya would be discovered, failed, captured, whatever (although, of course, those things didn't happen, cuz Arya's plot armor seems to rival Jon's).

Why didn't Walder yell when he realized he was in danger?  If Arya was truly deadly efficient and stealthy, Walder would have been preoccupied with his favorite pie while Arya casually walked behind him and garotted him before he ever even realized he was in danger.

Archived