Who will control the Riverlands?

Rory Snow

Walder Frey and a couple sons are dead. Who knows how many Freys Arya took out but prob'ly not many, opting rather for the  cutting off the head of the snake approach. But their leadership is gone, they are generally stupid and hated by all, so the Frey's hold on the Riverlands would seem tenuous at best.

Edmure is in a cell in The Twins, the rest of the Tully vassals are presumed scattered, so the Tullys seem in no position to capitalize.

The Lannisters have Kings Landing and Casterly Rock and nothing else. They are geographically surrounded by enemies and could desperately use the help of the Riverlands, but committing forces to hold them would leave Kings Landing virtually undefended.

The North & the Vale are allied, if they took the Riverlands they would have a stranglehold on all northern territories, but getting thru the Twins, even poorly defended is difficult and time consuming.

Dany is the wild card, but as yet, nobody seems to be accounting for her.

So... the question becomes, who makes the big move and takes control of the Riverlands?

Depends on who gets there first between Dany and Jon. The Riverlands and the Stormlands are the two regions which are both pretty much up for grabs since both are leader less, and both wont be declaring for the Lannisters. I would guess Jon will get the former while Dany gets the latter.

Technically who ever is the next in line of House Frey would still have control over the Riverlands for now.  At least in the books, and it appeared in a limited way in the series, Lord Walder had plenty of heirs wandering around The Twins.

I'm guessing Arya would have broken Edmure out of his cell, but who knows for sure.  The River Lords don't seem to be willing to fight against the Lannisters, so as long as Cersei leaves House Frey in charge of the Riverlands it would be them.  I don't think Edmure right now would be willing, or able, to get the River Lords to go to war again.  Once Dany shows up that will all change.

6 minutes ago, Mister Stoneheart said:

If Euron was smart he'd launch an attack as his homeland is not too far away--but who knows what tv Euron is up to.

It's doubtful Euron understands the political climate or the opportunity in the Riverlands, plus his sights are set higher, he wants Dany.

The Freys already mentioned that Jason Mallister was in open rebellion, and it seems they never resolved that, or at least the show just forgot about it. Assuming that they didn't forget about it, I'd imagine that the riverlords would begin asserting their own autonomy since the Freys will be severely weakened from infighting.

Also, it would be in Jon's best interest to stabilize the region, considering the location of the Riverlands being in between the North and Vale. 

16 minutes ago, Twenty of House Goodmen said:

The Freys already mentioned that Jason Mallister was in open rebellion, and then it seems they never resolved that, or at least the show just forgot about it. Assuming that they didn't forget about it, I'd imagine that the riverlords would begin asserting their own autonomy since the Freys will be severely weakened from infighting.

That would make a lot of sense. All of the other alliances are a bit too occupied to devote the time and manpower to deal with the Riverlands but Jason Mallister is in perfect position to stage an uprising. If Mallister got things started, the North could lend late aid (ala the Vale) and seal the deal and thus add the Riverlands to the North/Vale partnership.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to think the black fish was still alive since we didn't see his death however i think that i will be disappointed....

I don't think that it has much importance as it once did. Dany is coming over and it's up for grabs to everyone. 

8 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I thought the show was the same as the books in that LF was lord of Harrenhall and lord paramount of the Riverlands.

This. Littlefinger is Lord of Harrenhal and I'm sure that even though there is little sense in what the show does that this is the same as the books for some future reason. Maybe LF will finally take up residence. Doubt it though.

7 minutes ago, Karmarni said:

This. Littlefinger is Lord of Harrenhal and I'm sure that even though there is little sense in what the show does that this is the same as the books for some future reason. Maybe LF will finally take up residence. Doubt it though.

Well the Frey's still have the most men in the Riverlands I think. And not sure how they feel about Littlefinger being Lord Paramount. I'd say the Freys are in control unless Littlefinger gets an army down there to actually take his seat (which is improbable, but not impossible if he retains the Vale army).

However, who are the Freys in the show? Unless the show casts a major protagonist from their House for S07, then I suspect Littlefinger and Sweetrobin's Vale knights may rejoin or revise their book storyline and return (having not left in the books) to the area.

11 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I thought the show was the same as the books in that LF was lord of Harrenhall and lord paramount of the Riverlands.

If that's true in the show, it's an appointment that Baelish received thru the Lannisters and it may not be a title they let him keep now that he sided with the Starks

Petyr Baelish is the lord of Harrenhal but the show haven't confirmed anyone's rule over the Riverlands openly. However it was hinted he owns that position also by Tyrion, Tywin, Baelish himself and especially Roose by calling him "one of the greatest lords of the realm" . Probably he is also the lord of Riverlands in name at least. Now that Freys are gone he may establish his position there. I think he and Sansa will gather the remaining Tully forces there and unite the three kingdoms of the Vale, the North and the Riverlands.

HBO's official site interestingly lists Littlefinger under House Tully as one of the two living members, other being Edmure. I believe after his marriage to Lysa, he also got some kind of a de jure claim on the lands owned by Tullies in case anything happens to Edmure.

So, everything points to Petyr Baelish but I don't think he'll care about the title. He'll only be interested in those remaining Tully forces.

14 hours ago, permaximum said:

Petyr Baelish is the lord of Harrenhal but the show haven't confirmed anyone's rule over the Riverlands openly. However it was hinted he owns that position also by Tyrion, Tywin, Baelish himself and especially Roose by calling him "one of the greatest lords of the realm" . Probably he is also the lord of Riverlands in name at least. Now that Freys are gone he may establish his position there. I think he and Sansa will gather the remaining Tully forces there and unite the three kingdoms of the Vale, the North and the Riverlands.

HBO's official site interestingly lists Littlefinger under House Tully as one of the two living members, other being Edmure. I believe after his marriage to Lysa, he also got some kind of a de jure claim on the lands owned by Tullies in case anything happens to Edmure.

So, everything points to Petyr Baelish but I don't think he'll care about the title. He'll only be interested in those remaining Tully forces.

SO glad someone stated this, as I feel most people forgot about him getting Harrenhal back in season 2(?). But to me it seems like the Freys got control over all the Riverlands as the Maillisters and Blackwoods are rebellion against them and not Baelish. I'm going to guess with the news of Walders death, the Lannister army back in King's Landing, and with Dany's mega armada on the way, the loyal Riverlords will take this chance to all come out at once. ( Might even try to free Edmure and Co, if Arya doesn't help her Nuncle, but this is wishful thinking. )

Archived