Gilly’s Baby and the Passage of Time.

sifth

36 minutes ago, sifth said:

Most kids start walking at the age of one and talking at the age of two.

I'm aware of that.

36 minutes ago, sifth said:

Trust me I've gone through this 4 times.

I'm a dad too, and while I was blessed with developmentally normal (dare I say, exceptional) kids, my cousin has a son that the doctors told her would NEVER walk or talk simply because his brain was deprived of oxygen for a period of time during birth. Even with all our modern technology, that sort of thing still happens. You want to tell me it isn't possible that a kid born in a barn then carried through the snow for weeks (Months? How long on foot from the Fist to the Wall?) with a mother fed on little but salted pork and dried root vegetables is going to somehow have a better shot? Now my cousin got lucky: her son IS walking, and he IS talking, but he wasn't walking by one and he wasn't talking by two.

48 minutes ago, sifth said:

Also I don't see how Little Sam being the product of incest has somehow delayed his growth, when this is very clearly just a plot hole and shows how little D&D care about how the concept of time works in this series.

There are plenty of problems with the timeline, but this really isn't one of them. I'm willing to bet kids in the middle ages matured more slowly than modern kids even in the best of conditions, and little Sam got the short end of the stick genetically and environmentally. I'd like to see them address it in the narrative: maybe Sam wants to let one of the Maesters take a look at him to see why he can't walk or talk at age 3, imply the incest is to blame, and Gilly refuses because mah baybay. There you go "plothole" filled.

There are far worse problems in this show, mostly revolving around travel time, you know, stuff actually relevant to the plot. Making a big deal about trivial stuff like forgetting to age up Gilly's baby with the slower timeline of the show is like complaining about not getting a cherry on top of your shit sundae.

13 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

I'm aware of that.

I'm a dad too, and while I was blessed with developmentally normal (dare I say, exceptional) kids, my cousin has a son that the doctors told her would NEVER walk or talk simply because his brain was deprived of oxygen for a period of time during birth. Even with all our modern technology, that sort of thing still happens. You want to tell me it isn't possible that a kid born in a barn then carried through the snow for weeks (Months? How long on foot from the Fist to the Wall?) with a mother fed on little but salted pork and dried root vegetables is going to somehow have a better shot? Now my cousin got lucky: her son IS walking, and he IS talking, but he wasn't walking by one and he wasn't talking by two.

There are plenty of problems with the timeline, but this really isn't one of them. I'm willing to bet kids in the middle ages matured more slowly than modern kids even in the best of conditions, and little Sam got the short end of the stick genetically and environmentally. I'd like to see them address it in the narrative: maybe Sam wants to let one of the Maesters take a look at him to see why he can't walk or talk at age 3, imply the incest is to blame, and Gilly refuses because mah baybay. There you go "plothole" filled.

There are far worse problems in this show, mostly revolving around travel time, you know, stuff actually relevant to the plot. Making a big deal about trivial stuff like forgetting to age up Gilly's baby with the slower timeline of the show is like complaining about not getting a cherry on top of your shit sundae.

Just let me try to get this clear? Your defense of this obvious plot hole, as small as it might be, is that Little Sam has some form of autism or something similar; which is apparently delaying his age, along with his development. If you think D&D are that good of writers to add something like that into the plot, you have more faith in the show than me. The kid is clearly growing slow and mostly because D&D have over looked this plotline.

8 minutes ago, sifth said:

Your defense of this obvious plot hole, as small as it might be, is that Little Sam has some form of autism or something similar.

Where did I ever say "autism"? Malnutrition alone, even without the incest, is enough to stunt growth and inhibit brain development.

Someone explained the passage of time in the show better than i can so heres what that guy had to say from another site:

I always thought it was pretty obvious that time isn't passing linearly on the show. The locations and arcs within are so far apart and largely separate that even within a single episode, different scenes can be happening at the same time, or a long time apart. Seems to be the easiest explanation for when characters seem to move around quickly, and the (PROBABLY SPOILERS IN THE LINK) story editor seems to confirm as much.

Huge plot hole....  when watching a fantasy show about dragons and ice zombies, we have to suspend *some* disbelief. However, preferably the rate of normal human growth wouldn't be one of them.

Gilly was pregnant in season 1, but the baby wasn't born until Season 3, episode 3 "Walk of Shame."  So, the baby gestated for a pretty long period of time, too.

1 hour ago, Florina Laufeyson said:

Someone explained the passage of time in the show better than i can so heres what that guy had to say from another site:

I dont think you and divorce the storylines to the extend you'd need to justify the plot holes. For example, in this past episode, before Sam and Gilly entered Oldtown, the white ravens were being released to signal the start of winter. The next scene shows the white raven flying to Winterfell. At a minimum, those two storylines are in sync. So, in less time than it took Sam to get to Oldtown, Jon died, was resurrected, executed the mutineers, rallied the northern houses by traveling over the north, fought the Battle of the Bastards, and won the battle.

10 minutes ago, Baelor_the_Blessed said:

Huge plot hole....  when watching a fantasy show about dragons and ice zombies, we have to suspend *some* disbelief. However, preferably the rate of normal human growth wouldn't be one of them.

Gilly was pregnant in season 1, but the baby wasn't born until Season 3, episode 3 "Walk of Shame."  So, the baby gestated for a pretty long period of time, too.

Pretty sure we learn she's pregnant in season 2. Also we were still following the books back during seasons 2 and 3, so time flowed more slowly/normally. The speed up starts around season 5, when characters start teleporting left and right.

4 minutes ago, sifth said:

Pretty sure we learn she's pregnant in season 2. Also we were still following the books back during seasons 2 and 3, so time flowed more slowly/normally. The speed up starts around season 5, when characters start teleporting left and right.

I stand corrected. It was the first episode of Season 2, titled "The North Remembers." Still, a fairly long gestational period given all that happens between those two points.

2 minutes ago, Baelor_the_Blessed said:

I stand corrected. It was the first episode of Season 2, titled "The North Remembers." Still, a fairly long gestational period given all that happens between those two points.

Well for the Nights Watch story it really isn't. They leave Craster's Keep, set up camp at the Fist of the First Men, get attacked by Others and return to Craster's Keep, just in time for the birth of Little Sam. All of this could easily have happened in a few months. I miss time working normally in this series, lol 

Archived