Frey Pie love, Arya and why

I loved the Frey Pie scene in the show. I was glad it was Arya that did it.  I like Wyman Manderly, but this was justice needed to be served up by a Stark  of Winterfell. Not the Tully looking Starks of this generation but the Starkest looking Stark, the one with the most of their Uncle Brandon and Aunt Lyanna's wolf blood pumping their veins.

This was Winter Justice. With all due respect and appreciation to the Manderlys, this was 'Family Bidness" and needed to be resolved as such. The scene was perfect, I just wish it had been longer. They could have taken out several minutes of Dany's boring scenes and fleshed out the Frey Pie scene a little more to make it even more satisfying. There have been several feel good moments in this season, from Sansa and Jon reunion to "Oh, look its my long lost Uncle Benjen." but this was may be the best. I've been waiting for it since I almost threw my copy of SOS through the wall when I read the Red Wedding. I really liked Robb, Smalljon, Dacy and Greywind. Its been over a decade since SOS came out and still no book satisfaction for the event. Yes Lady Stoneheart has done a few small things but to me its been hollow. 

The episode served up Winter Justice, to the oathbreakers, to the violators of guest right, to the traitors , from a Stark of Winterfell that grew up with the tale of the Rat Cook being whispered in their ear from Old Nan. IMO it was one time the Show was better than the books.

28 minutes ago, Cragen said:

Scene would be better if Arya ask him did he heard story about Rat Cook.

Yes! then if he didn't remember she tells him the story . After she says something like, "I'm not surprised you've never heard the story. You southerners have short memories, you forget so easily, but ( wait for it...wait for it...) The North Remembers!"

It was good seeing Walder Frey meeting his end, but do you really think the scene was perfect? I would've liked to see him eat the pie at least. Arya told him before he even took a bite.

The logistics of Arya making the pie also require a lot of handwaving. I would've preferred it if they had included the BwB somehow. I also expected revenge on a larger-scale, like Arya poisoning the food/wine and killing a lot of Freys. As it stands, it's an entertaining scene but one you really shouldn't think too much about.

1 hour ago, Survivor92 said:

It was good seeing Walder Frey meeting his end, but do you really think the scene was perfect? I would've liked to see him eat the pie at least. Arya told him before he even took a bite.

The logistics of Arya making the pie also require a lot of handwaving. I would've preferred it if they had included the BwB somehow. I also expected revenge on a larger-scale, like Arya poisoning the food/wine and killing a lot of Freys. As it stands, it's an entertaining scene but one you really shouldn't think too much about.

I think he had just finished eating a slice of the pie before she revealed to him what it was made of. She may have poisoned the rest of the freys at the feast, we don't see any others around at the end.

I guess the scene was perfect in my thoughts because justice was served, D&D didn't cut out the Frey Pies, and it was Arya Stark that did it to Old Walder.

By the way, just some tinfoil extra, my wife was watching it with me and at the end she said "Arya is looking up at someone, Frey is looking up away from Arya, I bet its Lady Stoneheart, she's the Stark  walder sees looking down at him and smiling."

Possible or was my "Oh my sweet summer child" comment deserved?

I agree with the OP's sentiment that they did not need to show every conversation Dany had in Mereen, nor did they need to show so much of Dorne last season. Arya's storyline needed more imo, and the Frey pie scene did too.  I just feel like at a minimum we should have seen Arya arrive in Westeros and come across a group of people heading to the Twins, the girl who's face she takes among them.  Preferably Arya could have overheard her being a bitch.

I would like to see what happens now. Arya should release her uncle edmure and he would comander the tullys and freys, since  his marry To a frey. then he will able to help Jon, if he needs. Arya  will came back to winterfell, maybe finds Sandor cleagane in the way. 

The entire scene was literally out too lunch and entirely predictable because as soon as you saw her you knew who she was. How did she get into the Twins using that disguise, quite obviously a foreigner to them and most of Westeros? After the contradiction of their role at never losing. But she looked Braavosi having a tanned complexion and wearing make-up. She would be immediately noticed by the inbreds there, never mind the bakery involving that process. The Frey's are her first stop for revenge even though they aren't among her prayers?

The tediousness of its copy paste was Tenorman must die, was there a pube in the chilli, perhaps it was a fingernail?

19 hours ago, Kenton Stark said:

By the way, just some tinfoil extra, my wife was watching it with me and at the end she said "Arya is looking up at someone, Frey is looking up away from Arya, I bet its Lady Stoneheart, she's the Stark  walder sees looking down at him and smiling."

Possible or was my "Oh my sweet summer child" comment deserved?

It'd be interesting if there was someone else there, but I think Stoneheart Truthers will generally enjoy their lives much more if they accept that the show is not going there. The writers have said multiple times that they don't even discuss doing that storyline, and they've clearly filled in the LSH bits with different characters, like with The Hound meeting up with the BwB and Arya killing the Freys. Sweet, sweet summer child indeed. Enjoy LSH in the books, don't look for her in the show. 

I enjoyed it insofar as I enjoyed the gross Walder Frey finally getting his commuppance, but I found it all rather predictable. I'm glad it was Arya to avenge The Red Wedding, but the scene raised too many unanswerable questions — GoT needs to be less sloppy in places.

Though, in defense of Arya: are we to take it as fact that she chopped the Walder brothers into bits and pieces? Why expend all that time and effort when it would have been much more practical (and just as effective) to remove a few fingers and toes and bake them in a pie? I think it's more likely that she did what she needed to do and then dumped the bodies. Though, again, too many questions are raised and no one can really answer them.

• 2 months later...

I did find it odd that Lord Walder was alone. Then again if you pay attention the Freys only have control of the Riverlands in name only. In a scene in the season Lothar and Black Walder are telling Lord Frey that some of the Houses are in open rebellion. Then at the "siege" of Riverrun the Frey's are alone, they have no banner houses with them. I believe that was foreshadowing that they will not have control of the Riverlands for long. So I suppose him eating by himself in an empty hall was symbolic of the fall of his house.

I think the scene was very well done. I especially liked the fact that it did show how age affects someone. He could have called for help, or attempted to escape, but he could not do both. That was just brilliant.

Archived