Lightbringer

Watched the marathon of season 6 before episode 10 aired and after watching the episode

were Sam reunites with his family, I thought it was a bit odd when Sam stole the valyrian sword

named Heartsbane. I'm not totally familiar with the prophecy of  Azor Ahai, but the name Heartsbane

does sound prophetic. Could Sam (full of grief) plunge Heartsbane into the heart of Gilly (who he loves)

to create an awesome sword that is capable of destroying the Nightsking

Sam Tarly savior of mankind?

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2016 at 1:11 PM, Crustbucket said:

Watched the marathon of season 6 before episode 10 aired and after watching the episode

were Sam reunites with his family, I thought it was a bit odd when Sam stole the valyrian sword

named Heartsbane. I'm not totally familiar with the prophecy of  Azor Ahai, but the name Heartsbane

does sound prophetic. Could Sam (full of grief) plunge Heartsbane into the heart of Gilly (who he loves)

to create an awesome sword that is capable of destroying the Nightsking

Sam Tarly savior of mankind?

You know, as a book reader, though I read them a long time ago, I keep asking questions like this too.

Was this to show that Sam is not a coward anymore? Having a Valyrian sword at the Citadel seems strange. Maybe he will need it later?

I am sure it is not lightbringer, but if I am not mistaken Valyrian swords have some magical powers against white walkers?

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow Nothing said:

You know, as a book reader, though I read them a long time ago, I keep asking questions like this too.

Was this to show that Sam is not a coward anymore? Having a Valyrian sword at the Citadel seems strange. Maybe he will need it later?

I am sure it is not lightbringer, but if I am not mistaken Valyrian swords have some magical powers against white walkers?

Valyrian steel can shatter a WW just like Dragonglass, confirmed in Hardhome. 

I think Sam will save the world, by connecting all the dots of Jon's identity from some books that are tucked away at the Citadel, then Bran will somehow confirm by....... somehow communicating with Sam perhaps? No idea.

Fun to think about.... 

I think this will be another figurative event/thing that people confuse for it literally. 

However, I too thought it was quite weird that there was focus on Sam stealing a sword. Perhaps he plans to give it to Dany  since her house does not have one.

1 hour ago, xjlxking said:

I think this will be another figurative event/thing that people confuse for it literally. 

However, I too thought it was quite weird that there was focus on Sam stealing a sword. Perhaps he plans to give it to Dany  since her house does not have one.

Or, he's Sam The Slayer. He'll need it when he heads back up North to tell Jon who he is perhaps?

Besides, Dany doesn't need a sword. She is one. :D

1 hour ago, Jon Snow Nothing said:

They [Sam and Jon] talked about needing Valyrian swords back in Season 5 and joked about "borrowing" them from the Lords of Westeros or something similar. Pretty sure it'll just make it's way to the wall for the Battle for the Dawn.

Samwise Gamgee is the real hero of Lord of the Rings.  He supports Frodo when Frodo fails.  I think this Sam's role is very similar for Jon.  I think he'll find out something about white walkers (and possibly Jon and the Song of Ice and Fire) and give Jon what he needs to save the day.  Perhaps Heartsbane is part of this (or his father finds out Sam's part in the world's salvation, sheds a tear, asks for forgiveness, recognizes his son as a man, and tells Sam to keep the family ancesteral sword, to give to his own son one day - I very much doubt this last part in the books, but perhaps in the show?)

Archived