How do the faces work?

AryaSansa

I always thought it was by magic.  But seeing Arya pull off her face seems like they carry a bunch of faces around like masks.

It just doesn't seem very convincing that the faces can be folded away then reused any time.  Don't the faces decompose or get wrinkled?  They might not be a good fit either.

How is it done in the books?

I think its a combination of wearing the face and a magical glamour that's attached to it. No way it could simply be a face worn over another, the bone structure would never line up right and you would have seams around the eye holes and such. Basically without the magic it would look like that guy in Spartacus that had his arena victims face worn like a mask.

We know that there's magic involved in the Many Faced God; we've seen it last season. 

My guess is that some of that magic / supernatural element is linked to the masks as well. 

Clearly they are more than just highly detailed halloween costumes. 

There was also the issue of the voice as well - the crone that attacked Arya had a different voice to the Waif, and Arya's voice was different when she was disguised as the maid. 

There is magic involved in wearing the faces.  If I remember right from the books there is some minor surgery involved in acquiring a new face.  You can't just rip them off like Scooby Doo.

I'm guessing that's one of the reasons that the show never really got into the serious mechanics of how the faces work so that they can do whatever they want.  Notice how the different face made Arya much more buxom than she is normally.

In the books I think they try to use faces that match their body type, whereas here it seems a new face will change your whole self.

Archived