Can Bran cross the Wall?

Shachath

So now that R + L = J is confirmed, we may automatically presume that Bran's next move is heading to the Castle Black (and then to Winterfell) to reunite with Jon and to tell him about his parents. But given the mark that the Night's King has given to him, can he really do that? Is Bran not smart enough to realize him going south of the Wall may cause things to go really... well, south? I know that at one point or another the Others will come to the Seven Kingdoms, but by the looks of it Bran is really close to the Wall. Is the show ready to introduce the invasion so early on? Or maybe he will just be just sitting around in the North and communicate with Jon by his warging/greenseeing powers? Or with Sansa, perhaps? She was shown to come to the goswood to meditate, maybe just to set up possible connection with Bran by the red tree. Or will Jon meet Bran north of the Wall? 

I was wondering about this myself.  Benjen made a point of saying "The wall is magic and won't let dead things past".  Seems to me Bran or Meera should make the connection that the 3ER's cave worked the same way and security went straight to hell after Bran's solo trip.

I suppose the question is whether the mark was a permanent thing or not.  I had always thought that some other book related things that have been omitted from the show were going to be involved in bringing the wall down, but now was thinking Bran would be the cause on the show.

In the books the cave of the 3ER worked the same.  If we all recall Cold Hands (Benjen's counterpart in the books) couldn't go into the cave since he was dead.  However I don't think the show is going to play on this.  I felt as if what Benjen said was supposed to reassure the viewer.  I mean Benjen is no genius but you'd think he'd know if a marked Bran would break the wall's spell.  Unless of course you subscribe to the theory he works for the Night's King and is manipulating Bran.

9 minutes ago, Bazil said:

In the books the cave of the 3ER worked the same.  If we all recall Cold Hands (Benjen's counterpart in the books) couldn't go into the cave since he was dead.  However I don't think the show is going to play on this.  I felt as if what Benjen said was supposed to reassure the viewer.  I mean Benjen is no genius but you'd think he'd know if a marked Bran would break the wall's spell.  Unless of course you subscribe to the theory he works for the Night's King and is manipulating Bran.

But do we have any reason to believe Benjen knows Bran was marked?

1 minute ago, Rumy Stark said:

I don't think it was ever directly stated, but Meera did tell him that the 3ER was dead, and he replied with "and now he lives again" referring to Bran.  So if he knew the 3ER had been killed, and they left the cave, I'm guessing he would have asked or known why Meera and Bran left the safety of the cave.

So it is possible that by sending Bran south of the wall he is unknowingly allowing the WW to cross it as well, I would think he knows what is going on and the magic in the wall is different or stronger or something that will still keep the WW from crossing it.  But do admit that is just my guess, don't think anything was stated clearly enough to say one way or the other.

6 minutes ago, Rumy Stark said:

I have a feeling that Benjen is almost an extension of Bran at this point.  If Benjen knew it he couldn't keep it from Bran.  Since Bran is essentially the living incarnation of the old gods at this point.

10 hours ago, Shachath said:

So now that R + L = J is confirmed, we may automatically presume that Bran's next move is heading to the Castle Black (and then to Winterfell) to reunite with Jon and to tell him about his parents. But given the mark that the Night's King has given to him, can he really do that? Is Bran not smart enough to realize him going south of the Wall may cause things to go really... well, south? I know that at one point or another the Others will come to the Seven Kingdoms, but by the looks of it Bran is really close to the Wall. Is the show ready to introduce the invasion so early on? Or maybe he will just be just sitting around in the North and communicate with Jon by his warging/greenseeing powers? Or with Sansa, perhaps? She was shown to come to the goswood to meditate, maybe just to set up possible connection with Bran by the red tree. Or will Jon meet Bran north of the Wall? 

Good question.

Here's another:

Can JON cross the wall, now that he is undead?!?!?

It may not even really matter....

Bran is the only known living person who can do the 3 Eye Raven job, and sooner or later the Knight's King is going to drive him beyond the wall, if he doesn't just do it voluntarily.

The show hasn't quite delved into the role of the 3ER for the world at large, but it's possible that Bran staying alive for that job is simply more important than the wall staying up, even if it means the Knight's King gets to invade.

I'd also add, the nearest weirwood tree that's ever been shown on the show was @ Winterfell itself.... since the wall by Castle Black doesn't have one... Bran may have to come home simply to be safe while he uses the weirnet.

It appears that the wall stops only the dead from crossing; however now that Bran is marked by the NK, it would be pretty stupid to cross the the Wall, but hey, it seems to me it will happen, otherwise no one will be able to help him, unless he stays in the Wall itself, but there is no weirwood to be connected on. Tough problems for Bran.

On 6/28/2016 at 11:24 PM, Cron said:

Good question.

Here's another:

Can JON cross the wall, now that he is undead?!?!?

Jon is not undead. He was resurrected and lives again. He isn't pale and cold, eats, shits, etc. Benjen, wights, and unGregor are undead because they're dead, but still conscious/animated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2016 at 3:17 AM, Sigrid said:

I suppose the question is whether the mark was a permanent thing or not. 

I didn't even think Bran crossing the wall could be a problem because I supposed the mark would eventually fade away otherwise, tough choice... Anyway, according to Benjen the Night King will find his way "one way or another" so there must several way he may pass.

Major Security Alert!!!!!! All men to the coasts!!!! We all knew this day was coming....the White Walkers learned how to make boats. Game over.

Seriously though what the hell the WW can't be that dumb. Ice boats or something come on! I've always thought it was some sort of WW and old gods mythological clash with the Drowned God Mythology that prevented them from going sea born.

Archived