Quarterfinals : Poland/Portugal, Wales/Belgium, Germany/Italy, France/Iceland

Yeah, the goal was a fluke but Sanches looks a boss player.

We should bring our own wonderteen on at some point, because while Grosicki seems threatening, he's very crude and the assist was about the last actual thing he created, whereas Blaszczykowski, much as I love him, hasn't done much, so one of them could come off for the little cabbage.

5 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Ronaldo has a reputation for diving, but that was definitely a penalty. I don't know how they missed it.

Depends a bit on the ref, the line he's chosen (hard vs soft tackles allowed), the occasion, the closeness to a shoulder vs shoulder, and Ronaldo's reputation.

It should be a pen, but too many of the other factors led the ref to let it go.

8 minutes ago, AndrewJ said:

You forgot the most important factor resulting in no penalty being awarded. 

Incomptetence. 

Well ... no.

None of the things listed (with the possible exception of hard line vs soft line, but that does not apply here) are written down in the rules. They do, however, form a basis for refs in trying to keep the game under control. However, relying on them - and getting it wrong - is generally listed as incompetence. So, reading between the lines, you would find "incompetence" if you so wished.

As it happens, I haven't watched the match thinking "well, this ref should have been sent home long time ago". He generally has the game well in hand. So I find it hard to call him incompetent. And, by extension, I don't think it is fair to chalk that decision up to incompetence. It was wrong. That happens. 

I think I missed all the good bits. This is pretty boring.

On the plus side the commentator mentioned the Bergkamp goal against Argentina from France 98 so I decided to watch that on youtube, it's still awesome.

Just now, 3StadtMueller said:

Fuck fuck fuck. Kuba :(

Such a shame for him, he's been an absolute legend for the team throughout his career. Hope that's not his last pop at an international tournament, but he'll be 32 after an injury-hit career at the next WC, if we qualify.

Archived