Quarterfinals : Poland/Portugal, Wales/Belgium, Germany/Italy, France/Iceland

2 hours ago, Notone said:

At the moment they hope to get either Khedira (very unlikely) or Schweinsteiger (a bit more likely) back in time for the next match. Yes, Can would look like the most natural fit to play Khedira/Schweinsteiger role. But I would not rule out, that they move Can to the right back and play Kimmich in the Khedira/Schweinsteiger role. Which would still be a bit weird, since Can has never convinced in that role, and Kimmich has managed to play that part rather well. 

I am curious who will fill in for Gomez upfront. Probably 0 goal Müller, with Draxler making his way into the starting XI. 

I would have thought Weigl would have been a more natural replacement than Can, who is a little more defensively minded than JW or Khedira.

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The fullbacks are a little, Koscielny isn't and I haven't noticed Rami being particularly ponderous either. In any case in this match it wasn't pace that really did them in, most of their problems came from balls in the air and being outmuscled once Iceland managed to get past Matuidi and Pogba.

It's not a flawless defence, I just don't think Germany are the team that are going to really stick it up them.

Rami has almost been too solid so far. Given how error prone he can be, it would have been better if he got it out his system against Romania or Albania.

10 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

I would have thought Weigl would have been a more natural replacement than Can, who is a little more defensively minded than JW or Khedira.

I am honestly surprised Löw hasn't subbed in some of the 'new generation' players (Weigl, Sané, Can) in the easier games this tournament, instead of ageing stars like Schweinsteiger. These players are the future of German football, and could easily have gained some tournament experience. Now Löw may be forced to give one of them a Euro debut in the semis.

16 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Khedira is the defensive (or muscle) part in the CM/DCM tandem with Kroos being the playmaker. So I would think that Can with his physicality is the better suited for the Khedira role ti plug holes and win the ball. I think with Weigl the balance in the game would shift a bit too much towards the offense, I don't trust Kroos enough with the defensive duties.

Archived