Quarterfinals : Poland/Portugal, Wales/Belgium, Germany/Italy, France/Iceland

Umm...I don't think Belgium should have won tonight. They only managed one shot on target in the second half and, for the most part, Wales looked comfortable. I'd say Wales were the better side and well worth their victory.

Yes. Wales were deserved victors. Similar to the England vs Iceland game in many ways. One side did not have the same number of stars, but were united, well managed and tactically disciplined.

11 minutes ago, Les Diables Rouges said:

Umm...I don't think Belgium should have won tonight. They only managed one shot on target in the second half and, for the most part, Wales looked comfortable. I'd say Wales were the better side and well worth their victory.

Wales played out of their minds tonight, and they did deserve the victory, because they won convincingly and handily. There is still no question that Belgium is by far the more talented side. That is why they went as 7/2 underdogs in the betting line. 

There is no doubt about it in my mind. Wales was David tonight, and they just slew a giant. 

Fantastic performance from Wales. :) That Robson-Kanu goal is one to watch again and again, but all three Wales goals were quality.

Belgium, well, I said to my son at half-time that bringing Fellaini on would make or break Wilmots as a manager and we can all see how that turned out. He can have no complaints if he's sacked. The ref wasn't great but he gave a lot of calls against Wales as well as calls for them, so it was the same for both teams.

Ramsey will be a loss for Wales but so will Davies and they both knew the risk going into the game. It's a shame but there it is.

3 minutes ago, HowdyGareth Bale said:

Wales played out of their minds tonight, and they did deserve the victory, because they won convincingly and handily. There is still no question that Belgium is by far the more talented side. That is why they went as 7/2 underdogs in the betting line. 

There is no doubt about it in my mind. Wales was David tonight, and they just slew a giant. 

Maybe I misunderstood your statement of "Belgium should have won". I agree they are the more talented team but on the balance of play, Wales were the better side tonight.

6 minutes ago, Les Diables Rouges said:

Maybe I misunderstood your statement of "Belgium should have won". I agree they are the more talented team but on the balance of play, Wales were the better side tonight.

I think we are in agreement all the way around here.

10 minutes ago, Emre Mor-mont said:

Fantastic performance from Wales. :) That Robson-Kanu goal is one to watch again and again, but all three Wales goals were quality.

Belgium, well, I said to my son at half-time that bringing Fellaini on would make or break Wilmots as a manager and we can all see how that turned out. He can have no complaints if he's sacked. The ref wasn't great but he gave a lot of calls against Wales as well as calls for them, so it was the same for both teams.

Ramsey will be a loss for Wales but so will Davies and they both knew the risk going into the game. It's a shame but there it is.

I actually think that Davies will be a bigger loss between the two. I really like how Jonny Williams has been playing when he sees the field, and with Gareth Bale, there will always be the offensive threat. Davies has been like glue for that back line.

The Northern Irish will never forgive the Welsh! The Belgians were the deserving team! 

(Out of 'character': I hope Wales smacks Portugal in the semis. A UK team in the final would be pretty cool.)

What a game. What a performance. What a result. Fantastic.

I have a lot more good feeling towards Wales now than I've had for the last week. Absolutely no reason they shouldn't beat a poor Portugal side.

What a great game.  Well done by Wales.  A lot of their players performed at or near their very best tonight, except Bale (OK, but hardly scintillating) and Ledley (still rusty and unfit).  Ramsey was great, showing that Wenger misplayed him last season.  Wee Joe Allen marches on.  I'd love them to beat Portugal, a real team beating an egomaniac and his entourage. 

Belgium remind me of a team of pick-up players -- eager to run toward goal when they get the ball, but no shape or coordination on either side of the ball.  It seems like Dembele would do a lot more for that team than Fellaini.  

Germany's MotM vs Slovakia Draxler dropped for Höwedes, so that they can play a 3-5-2 to mirror Italy. Löw evidently worried at how easily Conte nullified Spain's passing pattern.

So, I guess the consensus is that this match doesn't really matter because either Italy or Germany will surely be soundly defeated by the mighty Iceland once they vanquish the French from the tournament tomorrow. 

6 minutes ago, Raja said:

No. That is a very facile reading of Ramsey and Arsenal. 

We can debate that in the football thread, but neither disciplined DM nor wide right right in the 4-2-3-1 get the best from him. Wenger may think his other players suit that formation and leave no room for Ramsey as an 8.5, so Wenger has opted to get less than available from Ramsey in order to fit in Sanchez and Ozil as withdrawn forwards and playmakers. 

This is why I offered that Liverpool would be happy to take him off your hands.  

1 minute ago, Immobile Buffon said:

We can debate that in the football thread, but neither disciplined DM nor wide right right in the 4-2-3-1 get the best from him. Wenger may think his other players suit that formation and leave no room for Ramsey as an 8.5, so Wenger has opted to get less than available from Ramsey in order to fit in Sanchez and Ozil as withdrawn forwards and playmakers. 

This is why I offered that Liverpool would be happy to take him off your hands.  

Ozil is the undisputed no 10 in our team. As good as Ramsey is, he's nowhere near Ozil's level. Ramsey's last season was also interrupted with injury, but he still managed to score some important goals for us. You might not be a fan of Ramsey on the wing, but that has worked really well for us before. So you either change your system completely, which won't happen given that the team is built around Ozil.

Furthermore, if you've been paying attention to Arsenal, which I don't think you have, you'll realize that Ramsey's best season for us was when he played beside Arteta in the 4-2-3-1 - that's when he got all those goals and was a real star of the team. He's a box to box player - AW has said that *many* times - but he needs the right partner for that - he had Flamini as a partner last season, which is not good enough, after which he got injured. With Xhaka, we've found someone who can distribute the ball as well as Arteta did and also provide protection to the back four, freeing Ramsey up to be that box to box player that he is - with the right partner, he can excel in that 2 man pivot. There's very little 'misplaying' there, imo. Again, I don't actually think Ramsey gets the credit he is due when he is out wide. 

Archived