Valyrian steel coming back?

Okay so hear me out on this bad boy.

We know that Valyrian steel is gunna be a hot ticket item when the WW finally get past the wall. But there are hardly enough blades to man the walls on a small keep so in order for the humans of westeros to stand a chance they either need to start finding obsidian and mining it or they need to get some valyrian steel.

We also know that valyrian steel hasnt been made since the fall of Valyria.

The reasons why is can't be made are important. Correct me if I am wrong, but the general consensus is that the magic that went into the process died with Valyria?

So in order to create the steel there must be magic, The dragons brought magic back into westeros when they hatched didnt they? The warlocks, the alchemists guild, the priests and priestess' of the red god all have seen their powers surge with the return of dragons (aka Valyria)

Since we know that the people of westeros have the technology to work the metal, as proven by the lannisters breaking down Ice, is it a stretch to say that with some research the people of westeros could revive the ancient art of making valyrian steel?

My theory is that Sam discovers this while studying to be a maester and relays the info to Jon, thus proving pivotal in the proper armament of the living in their fight vs the dead.

Generally, there was magic woven into the metal, which hasn't been seen since the downfall. As one of it's pivotal secrets, I can't see the Valyrians letting that kind of knowledge out.

Even if the magic is back now that the dragons are back, the knowledge has been lost, and I can't see it being at Oldtown.

Intuitively, I always thought Valyrian Steel was forged using dragon breath (fire) instead of a normal furnace. But that might not be the case. Anyway, since magic is coming back, there's a high chance for it to work again if the knowledge is not completely lost. Maybe Sam will get some info about that at oldtown.

Properties of Valyrian steel are "folding iorn many times to balance and remove impurities, and the use of spells, giving unnatural strength to the resulting steel).(TWOIAF)

Now the smiths in Qohor are said to know the spells to "rework" Valyrian steel and is a closely guarded secret. I surmise that I few different spells go into the "making" of the Valyrian steel including the blood of the heart, aka blood sacrifice.

Master Pol's wrote a treatise on Qohorik metalworking and was thrice publicly wiped and cast out of the city because he inquired to much as to the making of the prized and far famed steel. He also lost a hand to an aligation he stole a Valyrian blade. Master Pol's final dismissal came from the fact that he(to his knowledge) secretly learned of blood sacrifices-the killing of slaves and even infants in the production of the precious steel. 

Now this is Qohorikian Valyrian steel. Who knows if they know the spells to make the flames hot enough or if they know the magic number of folds. Although they have been doing it for so long they probably have it as close to the real thing as anyone is going to get.

Now this is known: Qohorik smiths attempted (most likely)many, many times, efforts to produce a steel equal to that of old Valyria. I think Sam will stumble onto this at the citadel while reading Pol's book, write to the Nights Watch, and rhey will somehow aquire suites of amour and swords to fight the Night King during the long night. That would be cool!

On 7/4/2016 at 9:46 AM, ThePrinceThatKnewNothing said:

Didn't Stannis send some men to begin mining on Dragonstonefor obsidian. If I'm correct he said there were mines beneath with lots of obsidian.  But I agree with your point about the dragons being reborn having something to do with Valyrian steel coming back

Yes to the first part but doubtful on the second. When the NW informs Stannis and his men of the ability of obsidian to kill white walkers, he does send guys back to Dragonstone to mine for it and bring it to the Wall. Nothing further came of this mention, but we havent had all that much text since then...so at some point you would assume a cache of obsidian will be arriving at the Wall. Who knows who will be there to receive it, and whether or not they will have any idea why it was ordered or how to use it.

The second part is a false correlation. The return of the dragons is either the reason for or a response to the general return of magic in the world, same goes with the direwolves, warlock magic, fire magic, and resurrections. And oh yea, the white walkers. But Valyian steel has always been around, its just that it was only seen as a superior weapon material and not necessarily magical. Signs are pointing towards the real value of VS being its ability to fight the winter, which would make more sense as to how certain houses esteem their swords above all else (hard to imagine a house keeping one really nice weapon when they could exchange it for gold, horses, oxen, building materials, etc.). Also makes sense why Jeor would be willing to throw away his family fortune (the mormonts could totally use it), when confronted with an undead winter being. It could be that the ability work the VS steel was what returned, but we dont have much context around that at all.

• 1 month later...

the secret of making the blade was lost, magic actually never truly went away from the world otherwise greenseers or wargs wouldnt be born (if you consider them magical beings)

"power resided where man believes it resides" when ppl believe that the magic is gone that became common believe

but then dragons came back and suddenly magic came back?with that logic if magic wasnt there dragons shouldnt have came back

yet they came and that means the magic was there for them to use it and come back to the world....

i personally believe in genetic abilities in humans and not magic.... i dont think there is magic in asoiaf...

I forget whose youtube video I was watching, but the person mentioned the idea of how Valyrian swords were made could have just been the same use of blood as how Azor Ahai used it. The tempering of the sword in blood. This could potentially tie into the Doom. If part of forging the swords involved magic it is possible that you had both light and dark magic spells being used. Enough black magic or wrong use of magic overall could have been the catalyst in the Doom.  So with having red priest and priestess in Essos, it could me they have the magic to create the swords after a blacksmith, Gendry forges them.

11 minutes ago, AdesteFideles said:

Has it ever been stated if any of the swords fused together to make the Iron Throne were made of Valyrian steel?

If there are some in there and they could be separated, that's a lot of swords to use against the others.

The Iron Throne is pretty damned big, there must be at least one in there.

Only by statistics.

Yes, Aegon had a policy of melting the swords of his defeated foes into Iron Throne. But if he spotted Valyrian blades among his loot, like Gardener or Durrandon or Hoare ancestral Valyrian sword, would he have melted them in all the same, or kept these swords as too valuable to expend on Iron Throne?

8 minutes ago, Jaak said:

would he have melted them in all the same, or kept these swords as too valuable to expend on Iron Throne?

The Targaryens are only mentioned as having the two swords so they didn't keep any the came across, but there's also no mention of them returning any defeated foe's swords, or giving away Valyrian steel swords they claimed to loyal supporters.

My thinking was this: would Aegon have reinforced his supremacy over Westeros by including VS swords in the Iron Throne?

This is just a whimsical thought, I have no idea either way, really.

On 8/19/2016 at 10:17 AM, AdesteFideles said:

Has it ever been stated if any of the swords fused together to make the Iron Throne were made of Valyrian steel?

If there are some in there and they could be separated, that's a lot of swords to use against the others.

The Iron Throne is pretty damned big, there must be at least one in there.

None of the swords that compile the Iron Throne were made of Valyrian Steel.    There have only been 15 VS swords in Westeros and all (except Oathkeeper and Widows Wail) have been seen during the 150 or so years between Aegon's conquering and the reign of Aegon 4.  However, along your line of thinking I've read that because the swords comprising the IT were melted and fashioned with dragon fire and contained the blood of fallen warriors there may be a precedent for this amalgamation to actually contain enough of the properties of VS to be reforged by a Qohori who could speak the spells.    It's a stretch, but it's also a fantasy story so I'm good with it.   

I realize it's contentious to claim there have only been 15 VS swords in Westeros for all this time.    Great care is taken to stress those swords' importance throughout all 6 books and 2 short stories.   There is no evidence that there were ever any other Valyrian Steel Swords in Westeros though there are many throughout the world.    

Valyrian Steel is thought by the readers (and maybe Jon & Sam) to be Dragon Steel, just as obsidian is dragon glass.  Valyrian Steel is thought to be able to kill Others while dragon glass (and/or fire) is all that's needed to kill wights.   In that we don't know how many Others there are, 12 Valyrian Steel swords may be all that would be required.   I think that the best preparation for the coming winter is in the quick preparation of all that obsidian.   

Archived