What did Varys hear in the flames?

Daario N'Varys

When Varys tells the story of his castration he mentions a voice answering the wizard from the flames.

I've been researching theories about Bran (or Bloodraven etc before him) being the truth behind the whispers that are heard in the winds, beneath the weirwoods, by the mad king, from the flames...perhaps somebody is whispering to Patchface? I like the idea that the 'gods' are in fact something more tangible and explainable than great omnipotent, all-seeing deities (good old scientific greensight makes much more sense right? ;)) Perhaps Bran is, in reality, the old gods, the seven (although they don't seem to actually do much or help anyone), R'hllor and the drowned god all at once and forever?

Edit: Does the Many Faced god tell the members of the house of black and white who must die? Maybe this is stretching it a bit...Valar Morghulis and all that...

Anyway, I seem to have immediately diverted from my initial thought...What do people speculate Varys may have heard from the flames on that fateful day?

At this point am I allowed to mention

Spoiler

the red priestess who speaks to Varys and Tyrion in season 6? She seems to know what the voice said...is that even relevant?

47 minutes ago, Daario N'Varys said:

When Varys tells the story of his castration he mentions a voice answering the wizard from the flames.

I've been researching theories about Bran (or Bloodraven etc before him) being the truth behind the whispers that are heard in the winds, beneath the weirwoods, by the mad king, from the flames...perhaps somebody is whispering to Patchface? I like the idea that the 'gods' are in fact something more tangible and explainable than great omnipotent, all-seeing deities (good old scientific greensight makes much more sense right? ;)) Perhaps Bran is, in reality, the old gods, the seven (although they don't seem to actually do much or help anyone), R'hllor and the drowned god all at once and forever?

Edit: Does the Many Faced god tell the members of the house of black and white who must die? Maybe this is stretching it a bit...Valar Morghulis and all that...

Anyway, I seem to have immediately diverted from my initial thought...What do people speculate Varys may have heard from the flames on that fateful day?

At this point am I allowed to mention

Reveal hidden contents

the red priestess who speaks to Varys and Tyrion in season 6? She seems to know what the voice said...is that even relevant?

As far as I know you are never allowed to mention the TV show in the books forum. There is a pinned topic that makes this clear.

As far as what Varys heard in the flames, I don't think it is as important as how it motivates him. I think the voice let Varys know there was true evil out there and he is trying to work against that evil.

1 hour ago, bent branch said:

As far as I know you are never allowed to mention the TV show in the books forum. There is a pinned topic that makes this clear.

As far as what Varys heard in the flames, I don't think it is as important as how it motivates him. I think the voice let Varys know there was true evil out there and he is trying to work against that evil.

Yup. There is a pinned topic. 

As far as what Varys hears, it is not Bloodraven because, as much as I love that old pile o'mulch, he is not everywhere pulling strings as many seem to lean towards. We are only halfway through the books and we just don't have enough info to answer all questions just yet. 

However, I'm sure that when we finally read the words that tell the secret, it will be haunting and delicious. 

42 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Yup. There is a pinned topic. 

As far as what Varys hears, it is not Bloodraven because, as much as I love that old pile o'mulch, he is not everywhere pulling strings as many seem to lean towards. We are only halfway through the books and we just don't have enough info to answer all questions just yet. 

However, I'm sure that when we finally read the words that tell the secret, it will be haunting and delicious. 

Nice. 

Im thinking that the voice Varys heard said one name: Daenerys Targaryen. Varys understands that Dany will fulfill some important prophecy and that the world ends if she not furfills the prophecy . So Varys is working towards that prophecy because he's afraid . I think (F)Aegon is Ilyrios endgame not Varys' i think Varys is working towards something else. 

12 hours ago, bent branch said:

As far as this rule is concerned, seeing the TV show has taken over the timeline of the books, surely mention or reference of it is inevitable in some discussions.

I am not sure what Varys heard but I am unsure what his actions would have been as a result of it. Would you believe or follow a voice from a fire after what happened to him? I wouldn't.

10 hours ago, Raven_Osiris said:

As far as this rule is concerned, seeing the TV show has taken over the timeline of the books, surely mention or reference of it is inevitable in some discussions.

I am not sure what Varys heard but I am unsure what his actions would have been as a result of it. Would you believe or follow a voice from a fire after what happened to him? I wouldn't.

Hey, you don't have to convince me. It's the mods you need to worry about.

1 hour ago, Puppy Stark said:

I'll bet it's something like, "we're not home right now. Please leave a message after the bip. BIIIIIP"

"Hello?"
"This is United States calling, are we reaching...
[interrupted by phone being put down]
"See he keeps hanging up, and it's a man answering."

On 6/30/2016 at 0:55 PM, Raven_Osiris said:

Surely forum posters are capable of respecting the community forum rules, and if they disagree with those rules they are capable of discussing site policy with the mods in the help section rather than flouting the rules in the discussion threads. GoT the TV Show is one of the biggest pop culture phenomenons going, so the entire rest of the internet is fair game for GoT spoilers. These sub-forums are the one safe haven for those of us who are fans primarily of ASoIaF the book series. Please respect that; I'm certain that the book fans who are trying to avoid show spoilers now displayed the same restraint to Show-only viewers in the first few seasons when we were the ones with the spoilers.

On 30/06/2016 at 0:49 AM, bent branch said:

Duly noted. That was why I had hidden the contents but it was written late at night and my wits had abandoned me. A thousand apologies, it will not happen again.

Archived