Did GRRM confirm that Jon's father is Rhaegar?

Juliet Burke

I have a question. HBO published a lineage tree confirming that Rhaegar is Jon's father. But did GRRM confirm R+L=J officially? He have been hiding it for 20 years, so his word is very important.

And what about Benioff and Weiss? Did they confirm that is was Rhaegar? Miguel Sapochnik and Isaac Hempstead-Wright refused to tell the fans Jon's father name. Why?

22 hours ago, Juliet Burke said:

I have a question. HBO published a lineage tree confirming that Rhaegar is Jon's father. But did GRRM confirm R+L=J officially? He have been hiding it for 20 years, so his word is very important.

And what about Benioff and Weiss? Did they confirm that is was Rhaegar? Miguel Sapochnik and Isaac Hempstead-Wright refused to tell the fans Jon's father name. Why?

Excellent question!

GRRM has not chimed in, that I know of. I think we'll have to wait for Winds of Winter to see if GRRM's story matches D&D's re: the TOJ. 

So far no one has verbally confirmed Rhaegar as the father aside from the infographic, so take that as you will. They took care to include mentions of Rhaegar in their "previously on" for the episode, so it would be quite shocking if they tried to argue that Rhaegar is not the father (in the show narrative), but I think they left it ambiguous exactly so we'd spend the next 8 months chatting about it, lol. 

23 hours ago, Juliet Burke said:

In part because it was too much to shove at viewers at once, especially considering the answer, an in part because they wanted to let people argue think about it for the next year.  Careful readers know the answer, though, for they have read Jon’s thoughts and Martin’s ironies:

But he had not left the Wall for that; he had left because he was after all his father's son, and Robb's brother. The gift of a sword, even a sword as fine as Longclaw, did not make him a Mormont. Nor was he Aemon Targaryen. Three times the old man had chosen, and three times he had chosen honor, but that was him. Even now, Jon could not decide whether the maester had stayed because he was weak and craven, or because he was strong and true. Yet he understood what the old man had meant, about the pain of choosing; he understood that all too well. (Jon IX, A Game of Thrones)

Every morning they had trained together, since they were big enough to walk; Snow and Stark, spinning and slashing about the wards of Winterfell, shouting and laughing, sometimes crying when there was no one else to see. They were not little boys when they fought, but knights and mighty heroes. "I'm Prince Aemon the Dragonknight," Jon would call out, and Robb would shout back, "Well, I'm Florian the Fool." (Jon XII, A Storm of Swords)

36 minutes ago, Rumy Stark said:

Excellent question!

GRRM has not chimed in, that I know of. I think we'll have to wait for Winds of Winter to see if GRRM's story matches D&D's re: the TOJ. 

So far no one has verbally confirmed Rhaegar as the father aside from the infographic, so take that as you will. They took care to include mentions of Rhaegar in their "previously on" for the episode, so it would be quite shocking if they tried to argue that Rhaegar is not the father (in the show narrative), but I think they left it ambiguous exactly so we'd spend the next 8 months chatting about it, lol. 

What do you think does HBO's Making Game of Thrones blog have reliable information from show-runners about Jon's father to create the infographic? Or maybe it was only based on the information from episode 6.10 "Winds of Winter"?

23 hours ago, Juliet Burke said:

But back in 2005, screenwriters David Benioff and D.B. Weiss were a pair of untested showrunners who’d fallen in love with George R.R. Martin’s epic series. They pitched themselves to the novelist over a lengthy lunch at Hollywood’s Palm that stretched out into dinner. When they passed his pop quiz — correctly answering “Who is Jon Snow’s mother?”— they won the right to convert the novels into a TV series.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/game-of-thrones-ending-season-5-producers-interview-1201469516/

Now, if they got Lyanna right, there's not many options for the father... 

35 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

In part because it was too much to shove at viewers at once, especially considering the answer, an in part because they wanted to let people argue think about it for the next year.  Careful readers know the answer, though, for they have read Jon’s thoughts and Martin’s ironies:

But he had not left the Wall for that; he had left because he was after all his father's son, and Robb's brother. The gift of a sword, even a sword as fine as Longclaw, did not make him a Mormont. Nor was he Aemon Targaryen. Three times the old man had chosen, and three times he had chosen honor, but that was him. Even now, Jon could not decide whether the maester had stayed because he was weak and craven, or because he was strong and true. Yet he understood what the old man had meant, about the pain of choosing; he understood that all too well. (Jon IX, A Game of Thrones)

Every morning they had trained together, since they were big enough to walk; Snow and Stark, spinning and slashing about the wards of Winterfell, shouting and laughing, sometimes crying when there was no one else to see. They were not little boys when they fought, but knights and mighty heroes. "I'm Prince Aemon the Dragonknight," Jon would call out, and Robb would shout back, "Well, I'm Florian the Fool." (Jon XII, A Storm of Swords)

Nice catch! Some people believe Lyanna said his name is Aemon, but I'm not sure yet... If it's really his name... LOL, GRRM and his hints.

3 minutes ago, Leticia Stark said:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/game-of-thrones-ending-season-5-producers-interview-1201469516/

I have been knowing about this fact for a few years. And it is was obvious that Lyanna is mother. My question is about the father. Did they confirm that it is Rhaegar or do we have to wait for 10 month?

5 minutes ago, Juliet Burke said:

I have been knowing about this fact for a few years. And it is was obvious that Lyanna is mother. My question is about the father. Did they confirm that it is Rhaegar or do we have to wait for 10 month?

HBO confirmed, If you believe it or not, is up to you. About GRRM confirming, we may have to wait for the book, but really, there are good theories about Lyanna with other men? The TV show killed any chance of Robert being the father.

2 hours ago, Leticia Stark said:

Yes, it is very interesting for me if HBO's blog had the information from show creators, because this infographic says that Lyanna was abducted by Rhaegar. Maybe it is really based on the information that was revealed in the show.

I'm quite sure GRRM never confirmed it. And IMO his answer would still be "keep reading". HBO may "confirm" it in 10 months (or 2 years), if TWoW is not out before and has the reveal. But it will still be HBO's version. Whatever, it is as good as confirmed, both for books and show.

I think that D&D and HBO were in disbelief that there were people with doubts about the identity of the father. If Lyanna Stark is Jon's mother then there is one and only one who could be the father: Rhaegar Targaryen. Why:

1-Can't be Robert, Brandon, Ned, Benjen because Lyanna had almost two years under Rhaegar custody.

2-Can't be Aerys because there's no evidence that Lyanna was at any moment in KL

3-Can't be any of the KG, it sure be treason to screw with the Prince's woman and nothing in the books suggest that Prince Rhaegar is the kind o man who would rape and share Lyanna with his guards even if some of them are his closer friends.

Some people are triyng to find a fifth leg on a cat.

15 hours ago, Lord Freddy Blackfyre said:

I think that D&D and HBO were in disbelief that there were people with doubts about the identity of the father. If Lyanna Stark is Jon's mother then there is one and only one who could be the father: Rhaegar Targaryen. Why:

1-Can't be Robert, Brandon, Ned, Benjen because Lyanna had almost two years under Rhaegar custody.

2-Can't be Aerys because there's no evidence that Lyanna was at any moment in KL

3-Can't be any of the KG, it sure be treason to screw with the Prince's woman and nothing in the books suggest that Prince Rhaegar is the kind o man who would rape and share Lyanna with his guards even if some of them are his closer friends.

Some people are triyng to find a fifth leg on a cat.

But why did Miguel Sapochnik refused to say who is father, that is Rhaegar?

20 hours ago, Debra Morgan said:

because this infographic says that Lyanna was abducted by Rhaegar.

I imagine, if the abduction was consensual, as most of us think, it would be a small matter to changed abducted to eloped, or married. 

Archived