If Jon Snow comes back, can he have children?

I see a lot of discussion about Dany being unable to have children, but what about Jon? If he truly dies and then is resurrected in TWOW will he be able to continue hold his own child. Which is something he thinks about while he was living with the Willings. Just curious what you guys think?

Edit: Assuming he is relieved of his Night's Watch vows. 

I have thought about this before. I tend to think Jon and Val will end up together (too many reasons to list here at this moment), and that they could end up adopting either Sam or Mance's baby as their own. (Maybe both depending on Sam's fate and each baby's fate). Val would want to keep her sister's baby if the opportunity presents itself.

With either of these babies, it would give Jon a chance to raise a son as Ned raised Jon as his own.

I want to say yes, he can still physically have children. If everything else works fine, I see no reason for him to be sterile unless the attack itself somehow rendered him so. I think the only reason Dany can no longer carry a child to term is either because Mirri did something to her, or her first birth was so traumatic it irreparably damaged her.

44 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I have thought about this before. I tend to think Jon and Val will end up together (too many reasons to list here at this moment), and that they could end up adopting either Sam or Mance's baby as their own. (Maybe both depending on Sam's fate and each baby's fate). Val would want to keep her sister's baby if the opportunity presents itself.

With either of these babies, it would give Jon a chance to raise a son as Ned raised Jon as his own.

Great idea !

12 minutes ago, Jaime4Brienne said:

To slightly go off topic--vampires are undead and usually can't father children. So you if you follow that logic then Jon also being undead couldn't father any children. 

He's not going to be undead he will be resurrected/reborn thus alive.

6 minutes ago, HowlandReed'sWorth said:

So Beric or LadyStone heart could have kids? I mean she was dead a while, but got the kiss from Beric. Their minds are clearly damaged from coming back, did Beric need to eat? Or Stoneheart? Or sleep for that matter? 

Beric when he was first resurrected could but after he died a few more times no. Cat  no she was dead to long.

52 minutes ago, HowlandReed'sWorth said:

So Beric or LadyStone heart could have kids? I mean she was dead a while, but got the kiss from Beric. Their minds are clearly damaged from coming back, did Beric need to eat? Or Stoneheart? Or sleep for that matter? 

Yeah, in the case of Cat I would think that her corpse had rotted/been damaged to the point of no longer being fertile. I think Beric is a different case because he was brought back so many times and may have suffered additional trauma that would have rendered him incompetent even if he had healed through traditional means. Assuming that Jon is resurrected in a timely manner and suffers no further injury or deaths, he can probably have kids.

Though maybe he can't. Maybe GRRM will write it in such a way that Jon is sterile upon resurrection, depending on the manner of said resurrection.

If Jon comes back as an undead character, then he probably won't eat or drink or sleep, so it is safe to assume that he won't reproduce either because the undead are not truly alive.

However, I don't think Jon will be just another undead character (for a number of reasons which I don't want to list here). I think the story needs him truly alive, which means there is no reason why he wouldn't function in every way as any other human being. Now, there may still be a price, but why would it be losing his ability to have children rather than losing his ability to sing beautifully :P for example, or a permanent pain in his chest or something completely different? 

Seriously, because Jon and all other characters are so sure that Jon will never have a child of his own (because of his vow), I almost suspect that he will. In fact, though I'm very much not a Jon-Dany shipper, I think the best argument in favour of their ultimate union is how they both are sure that they will never have children of their own, and yet they both behave as surrogate parents (Dany regards the freed slaves and the dragons as her "children"; while Jon gives away Alys Karstark at her wedding replacing her father and he is also permanently occupied with having to feed people, which is another parental duty). It would be quite a twist if they had a child together (at least if it wasn't for all the reasons why I don't like the idea).

Also consider how Robb and Jon were compared and contrasted in the early books. Here are Mormont's words:

“They will garb your brother Robb in silks, satins, and velvets of a hundred different colors, while you live and die in black ringmail. He will wed some beautiful princess and father sons on her. You’ll have no wife, nor will you ever hold a child of your own blood in your arms. Robb will rule, you will serve. Men will call you a crow. Him they’ll call Your Grace. Singers will praise every little thing he does, while your greatest deeds all go unsung."

These predictions regarding Robb have spectacularly failed to come true. This may suggest (for the sake of symmetry) that they will prove to be wrong about Jon, too.

Cat has also prayed to the Seven that Robb will survive the war and will be able to hold his child in his arms. It won't happen. No one prays for Jon in a similar way, but everyone takes it for granted that he will never have his own children. Even though we know that he longs to have a home and a family and a child of his own, we are emphatically told that Jon himself is convinced that he won't steal the princess from the tower and that he will never have his own home or family. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those things happened after all. 

We don't know, but I would say no. I believe dany is sterile because of the blood magic. It comes at a price, like Lord Varys said above. And I don't think the price is fertility, just life in general. Jon probably won't be able to do any normal human things, like eating.

And I think jon will be resurrected with blood magic, like beric. He will be different than before.. not alive and not dead. Just there.

Just my opinion. Like I said, we really have no idea.

Archived