How can Jon be King when Bran is still alive?

We all know Sansa knows that Bran is possibly still alive. We also probably know that Jon saw Summer and Shaggy kill some wildlings when he ran from them, and I think, if memory serves me right, that Sam even mentioned seeing them alive. So how can Jon be named king in the North? He would have to tell his Northern lords and make them aware of this. Then they would have to hold out until Bran returns or some such thing???

It's essentially right of conquest at this point.  Also, no one really knows if Bran is alive at this point anyway...the last time someone saw Bran was Sam and that was in season 3.

Honestly, at this point, they probably assume Bran is dead. Last they heard, Bran and Rickon were not killed by Theon, but they don't know where they went or what happened to them. Fastforward to now, and Sansa and Jon sees Rickon die. They didn't get to talk to him, so there's no way they'd know that Bran and Rickon split up (unless Sam told Jon that... but if he did, then Jon would know that he's north of the Wall, where the White Walkers are, so there's a pretty damn good chance he's already dead). 

They have no proof that Bran is still alive. They have no idea. Nobody does. Declaring Jon Snow KITN over Bran or whoever makes full sense. 

Jon knows that Bran is alive, Sam told Jon that, you can assume that Bran will die at the end, if you look closely the story, you will see that many events made that moment or to make it look like a destiny(or I can say the author made some events to get the result of Jon = KitN)

• Rickon get killed
  • Bran is a cripple and he can't produce a heir and propably will die
  • Arya is the cold assassin on her path to hell and probably will die
  • Robb's will (or the northern lords in the show) to push Sansa the rightful heir aside and make Jon the KitN, and now they are making Sansa looks like a traitor and probably will die fighting for her right

Valar Dohaeris = all men must serve, all characters must serve Jon and Danny

all the true starks are so irrelevant in the story

21 hours ago, of man and wolf said:

We all know Sansa knows that Bran is possibly still alive. We also probably know that Jon saw Summer and Shaggy kill some wildlings when he ran from them, and I think, if memory serves me right, that Sam even mentioned seeing them alive. So how can Jon be named king in the North? He would have to tell his Northern lords and make them aware of this. Then they would have to hold out until Bran returns or some such thing???

And who would them force to hold out? If they want to follow Jon, they follow Jon.

The whole claim situation isn't a law of nature and there is no god who would smash the heads of the lords, if they dont want Bran as their leader. A claim means little, if no one cares.

This is why I like the idea that the Lord of Winterfell and King in the North are two separate titles. Sansa is lady of Winterfell by birthright unless Bran returns but King in the North is chosen by the Lords and Ladies of the North. I hope they make this clear on the show.  I wish they were going to show the two Stark children working together seamlessly but that's not where they are heading. 

I think once Bran gets back to Winterfell he will also talk about the threat coming from beyond the well. Bran will probably encourage them to continue to follow Jon as King. He will probably give up an lordship over Winderfell to Sansa. 

At this point I've come to the conclusion that the rules don't really matter when it comes to Jon. Or at least that's how the show is portraying it. I mean, if they did apply his head would be on a spike somewhere because he never once explained the whole "I died and came back to life" to the people who needed to hear it the most. I really do hope he gives up the title to Sansa. I mean, he made it clear he didn't want to be the leader of anything or anyone. He never did. I just want him to take his army and kill some white walkers xD

28 minutes ago, captaindargo said:

This is why I like the idea that the Lord of Winterfell and King in the North are two separate titles. Sansa is lady of Winterfell by birthright unless Bran returns but King in the North is chosen by the Lords and Ladies of the North. I hope they make this clear on the show. 

Actually in HBO official website, the separates the title: http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season-6/episode-10/houses/4/house-stark

look at Sana is listed as Lady of Wintefell, Jon is listed as King in the North. And they're not married at all. So Sansa's title as Lady of Wintefell standa on its own right. It's her birthright no one stole it away from her. 

KitN is a title conferred to Jon not inherited by him. So Jon is now king but he need not (and probably is not) Lord of Winterfell same as Robert was due the title Lord of Storm's End but when he became king that title passed to his younger brother, Stannis. So Jon is KitN and Sansa is Lady of Winterfell. There is no conflict. When/if Bran returns he will supplant Sansa, not Jon.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even worse than the fact that the heir is sitting right next to him and both know Bran is still alive is the fact that the North elected someone who charged into a blatant trap, didn't utter a single order of command during the entire battle sequence and nearly got the whole of his squad murdered by Boltons. Nevermind the fact that the person claiming to have been the only "Stark" supporter only joined their cause because a non northerner mentioned ice zombies.

Such a wasted moment.

it was ridiculous  Sansa won the war and taken back winterfell , moron Jon snow nearly killed everyone for his mistake, and he becomes king in the north instead of sansa ridiculous 

make mistake and fuck up = become king

7 minutes ago, Minuteman said:

KitN is a title conferred to Jon not inherited by him. So Jon is now king but he need not (and probably is not) Lord of Winterfell same as Robert was due the title Lord of Storm's End but when he became king that title passed to his younger brother, Stannis. So Jon is KitN and Sansa is Lady of Winterfell. There is no conflict. When/if Bran returns he will supplant Sansa, not Jon.

Yes, the issue is that most people here seem to believe or try to believe that King in the North is a title you can inherit. It is not. Ned wasn't King in the North. Robb didn't inherit the title from Ned. He only inherited the time Lord of Winterfell. People elected Robb to be King in the North but after his death they have no king. They technically said "I didn't believe I would see any King again". It's a failed rebellion so the title was invalid. Only Lord/Lady of Wintefell is valid. currently Sansa is listed as Lord of Winterfell, that means she is accepted as the heir. If Bran comes back safely, he will be Lord of Winterfell. Even if there were no Jon, neither Sansa or Bran would claim to be Queen or King in the north by their birthright. They chose Jon as King simply because they want a fighter as their leader. 

6 minutes ago, blckp said:

it was ridiculous  Sansa won the war and taken back winterfell , moron Jon snow nearly killed everyone for his mistake, and he becomes king in the north instead of sansa ridiculous 

Couldn't agree more. He didn't earn what he got. It kind of peeves me really. But I would be the first to admit that everything to do with Jon in the last two episodes was fan service. I'm not a huge fan of his part in the last episode but I understand why other people like it. They aren't like me and don't get thrown off when people break their own rules and stuff like that. I really wanted to like Jon becoming king in the North. But they did it all wrong and they gave him credit to things that didn't belong to him. Plus, that is still Bran's throne he's usurping when it come right down to it and SANSA was the one that avenged the red wedding. Not Jon. Jon almost got all his bros killed like you said xD

7 minutes ago, Librus said:

Couldn't agree more. He didn't earn what he got. It kind of peeves me really. But I would be the first to admit that everything to do with Jon in the last two episodes was fan service. I'm not a huge fan of his part in the last episode but I understand why other people like it. They aren't like me and don't get thrown off when people break their own rules and stuff like that. I really wanted to like Jon becoming king in the North. But they did it all wrong and they gave him credit to things that didn't belong to him. Plus, that is still Bran's throne he's usurping when it come right down to it and SANSA was the one that avenged the red wedding. Not Jon. Jon almost got all his bros killed like you said xD

King in the north isn't a title you inherit. When Robb was killed, most Northern lords stopped their campaign for independence from the south and they cowardly suffered the Boltons, thus there was no kingdom in the north during that time. There is no kingship to inherit. Robb didn't inherit the kingship from Ned either. He was voted. The only valid title that last through all the wars and battes is Lord/Lady of Winterfell. Why is it so hard for people to understand that... Sansa is currently called Lady of Wintefell which means she still gets her birthright. 

Archived