Netflix is rebooting 'Lost in Space'

AncalagonTheBlack

Netflix has given a 10-episode straight-to-series order to Lost in Space, a remake of sci-fi master Irwin Allen’s 1965 cult TV classic, from Legendary TV. The streaming service landed the project for development in November in a competitive situation, with multiple bidders. It is eyed for a 2018 premiere.

The new Lost in Space takes its cues from the original series, centering on the Robinson family, who is forced to come together in a time of crisis. Stranded light years from their intended destination, they find themselves battling a strange new alien environment and also their own personal demons. It was written by feature scribes Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless (Dracula Untold), who executive produce with Zack Estrin (The River), who has come aboard as showrunner, Kevin Burns and Jon Jashni of Synthesis Entertainment, as well as Neil Marshall and Marc Helwig of Legendary TV-based Applebox. Marshall will serve as producing director and direct several episodes of the series.

Estrin will serve as executive producer alongside writers Sazama and Sharpless, with Synthesis Entertainment’s Kevin Burns (The Curse of Oak Island, Ancient Aliens) and Jon Jashni (Godzilla, Pacific Rim); and Applebox’s Emmy®-nominated director Neil Marshall (Game of Thrones, The Descent) and Marc Helwig.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/lost-in-space-remake-picked-up-series-netflix-1201780931/

I'll watch. I have fond memories of watching the original series as a kid. I've probably not watched an episode of it in 30 years though. I'm sure it doesn't hold up well at all, but I'd be interested to watch one or two of the originals. I wonder if Netflix will get the rights to them in the leadup to this?

• 1 year later...
On 02/07/2016 at 1:21 AM, Pony Queen Jace said:

Not sure 'writers of Dracula Untold' is something I'd promote, but I'll give it a go.

Yeah, sometimes it's best to say nothing if the alternative is mentioning something underwhelming.

I'll check the show out for two reasons 1) nostalgia for the original show and the 90s film and 2) Toby Stephens- he was phenomenal in "black sails" and just curious to see what he could do elsewhere. A bit like how I'll watch anything with Ian mcshane in.

4 hours ago, Ran said:

If I watch this, it's for Parker Posey. Disappointed that she hasn't been featured yet in the trailers and teasers.

She's in the above trailer. 

For me, it's Toby Stephens that I'm watching this for. And the visuals look pretty good.

• 1 month later...

I'm really trying to switch my brain off. I only watched the first episode. The characters show promise, and I like the creative look of the robot, plus the special effects are pretty good. But sometimes they're trying to show sciency stuff, other times physics can go to hell. :P

I think I was 7 or 8 years old when the original came out. And yes I was a fan. " Danger! Danger! Will Robinson!"  At the time I could never figure out why Will never learned to listen to Robot. And why everyone always listened to Dr. Smith.

Watched the first episode last night. Not convinced yet, but I'll give it a few more episodes before I make final judgement.

I'm in two minds about flashbacks. I usually find them annoying, because I want to see the story move forward. And Some flashbacks in Episode 1 seemed entirely unnecessary. In some shows, not this one so far, I find them to compliment the story quite well. Done right, and inserted at the right time is a key difference I suppose. The one flashback that was good, and important is the robot one.

I was totally expecting it and didn't think I'd react at all, but I did squee a little bit when the robot said "Danger Will Robinson".

On 3/8/2018 at 5:43 AM, Ran said:

If I watch this, it's for Parker Posey. 

I expected her to be great in the role but IMO her character was the biggest disappointment of the series...

Spoiler

Her characters had ZERO redeeming qualities. Jonathan Price's Dr. Smith was hilarious as an evil, pompous coward. Gary Oldman followed well in that tradition in the movie. Posey's Dr. Smith is a cold-blooded, humorless, manipulative murderer. She stole her sister's identity and left her to die, threw one guy out an airlock when he realized she was not her sister, nearly got John Robinson and Don West killed in a ship explosion, and finally sent the Robot to kill Maureen and the kids after her plans failed. How the Robinsons and West can do anything other than throw her out an airlock is beyond me. I blame the writers for this, not Parker Posey. Her character was just one of many issues.

Archived