Netflix is rebooting 'Lost in Space'

AncalagonTheBlack

So far I'm liking Dr. Smith. Only 4 episodes in. It's a show that's less intensive on the need to binge watch than other Netflix shows. I may have even watched fewer episodes, if not for the shitty weather. But I am enjoying it. It's a fun show. 

Penny is super annoying, and right now my least favorite character. I also like that there are more people around, than just the Robinsons and Smith.

4 episodes in and I'm finding this really entertaining. Unlike a lot of Netflix shows it gets straight into the story and so far the story isn't feeling stretched. It can hopefully maintain this.

Looks great too. Netflix is definitely doing a good job with the looks of their sci fi shows. I also like how the robot has a physical presence and isn't solely CGI.

The updates to the story and characters are working for me so far eg the Dr and the robot as well as it not just being the Robinson family

I'm 2 episodes in and so far it's pretty bad. I'm not sure what the problem is precisely, but I've narrowed it down to the writing, directing, and acting. Actually, on the acting front, it's mainly this Penny character that I'm not buying. 

I'm sure others may have brought this up but I'm avoiding spoilers until I'm finished. I can't be the only one who is really distracted by the possibility that the Robot is actually a Vorlon from Babylon 5, right???

That an the short title sequence could have tried to be a little less "lost". Although saying that the show has a lot in common with "lost". Group of people stranded on a mysterious island/planet and flashbacks to certain characters lives before being stranded every episode. It's a good format.

That said I'm going to be watching this show in constant fear that the final episode will be "they are our ancient ancestors and the mystery planet was our Earth all along" bullshit that another show (not "lost") pulled. By episode 5 there's at least promising evidence that they aren't on Earth. I was hoping the Oreos would allow me to rest easy but you can never rule out time travel!

3 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm sure others may have brought this up but I'm avoiding spoilers until I'm finished. I can't be the only one who is really distracted by the possibility that the Robot is actually a Vorlon from Babylon 5, right???

Never crossed my mind. Thanks for that.

3 minutes ago, red snow said:

That an the short title sequence could have tried to be a little less "lost". Although saying that the show has a lot in common with "lost". Group of people stranded on a mysterious island/planet and flashbacks to certain characters lives before being stranded every episode. It's a good format.

That said I'm going to be watching this show in constant fear that the final episode will be "they are our ancient ancestors and the mystery planet was our Earth all along" bullshit that another show (not "lost") pulled. By episode 5 there's at least promising evidence that they aren't on Earth. I was hoping the Oreos would allow me to rest easy but you can never rule out time travel!

Only 4 episodes in, but I got that feeling about the planet, too. It looks alien enough to assume it's a different planet, but it could easily be a pre-historic Earth. 

My bigger question is how wonderful really is Alpha Centauri that they are all so desperate to get back there, when they basically hit the jackpot with this planet. I think that promo video about Alpha Centauri is BS.

I'm two episodes in and I'm finding it entertaining. I have no issue with the teenage angst given a family with an absent father was shot off course and is trying to survive on a foreign planet no one has a clue where it is.

58 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Never crossed my mind. Thanks for that.

Only 4 episodes in, but I got that feeling about the planet, too. It looks alien enough to assume it's a different planet, but it could easily be a pre-historic Earth. 

My bigger question is how wonderful really is Alpha Centauri that they are all so desperate to get back there, when they basically hit the jackpot with this planet. I think that promo video about Alpha Centauri is BS.

West said it wasn't all it was cracked up to be and if Mother Robinson was

talking about the sun being wacky in a way that might mean they can't stay on this planet

A part of me worries that we're also watching a show about some borderline Aryan race in terms of leaving everyone but the intelligent behind on earth.  if the recent alien films and "interstellar" had this kind of criteria for leaving Earth we'd have seen a lot less stupidity in those films. But I guess there's plenty of time for people in this show to start acting utterly irrationally too. So far I quite like the fact that even the kids are useful.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I am also on Episode 4 and I thought that the planet might not be as alien as they think it is. As for promo video of Alpha Centauri, it reminded me of "The Island", wasn't it? The one with clones for organ harvesting? It got that vibe.

Overall, I find this rather entertaining. It has its moments, especially with Will and Robot.

The junk science to totally getting to me, and I'm finding it difficult to give a pass. In one scene they are trillions of light years from the Milky Way. As far as we know the known universe is at most 13-14 billion light years distant from Earth in any given direction, so to be trillions of light years from the Milky Way they'd have to be in a different universe entirely (ignoring whether it's even possible to measure distance between universes). And then in a following scene "hey we will soon be able to rejoin the other crews and start making our way back." Uh, what? Being knocked a few trillion light years off course isn't like accidentally taking the wrong exit off the freeway.

To get totally screwed up on your mission you only need to be knocked into the next galaxy, which is only millions of light years away. Hell, [Star Trek] Voyager only got knocked into the Delta Quadrant of the Milky way and was faced with at least 70 years of flying at Warp 10 to get back to the Alpha Quadrant, and that's just 10s of thousands of light years.

And there are other junk science things that are annoying and logically inconsistent within the framework of the story.

I've done 3 episodes and I don't really like any of the characters, it's not flash when Dr Smith is a considerably better character than any of the other main cast. I'll give it one more episode, but I'll probably be out after that.

I am about 6 episodes in and I like it. Funny thing is I can't stand Dr. Smith and most here think she is the best character....? She is too good at manipulating people for my taste. I like that the robot isn't just good, that makes it a much better show. Visuals are very good, so far decent acting including the kid playing Will, and the girl playing Judy. As to the teen angst, well it is a PG show aimed to get kids and adults so yeah.

27 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I am about 6 episodes in and I like it. Funny thing is I can't stand Dr. Smith and most here think she is the best character....? She is too good at manipulating people for my taste. I like that the robot isn't just good, that makes it a much better show. Visuals are very good, so far decent acting including the kid playing Will, and the girl playing Judy. As to the teen angst, well it is a PG show aimed to get kids and adults so yeah.

While I don't dislike "Smith" she isn't in my top 5 characters so far. I think her role within the show works in the sense she seems to be pathologically destructive but I agree it's too easy how she is fooling everyone. Especially with characters who know she is lying and has screwed them over. Fooling Will is plausible, the others not so much. Although I guess everyone is more distracted with the obvious problems at hand.

Maybe the character is more likeable if you've seen the actor in other roles? I'm sure this is clouding my judgment of the Robinson parents.

Spoliers for up to episode 7

First time I've been annoyed by stupidity in the show.

given how they didn't want to waste a drop of fuel they spent an awful lot of time just watching it gush out the side of the tank. The two caring for the crushed guy is understandable - the others not so much. Especially the one who was adamanant on saving the fuel!. I also couldn't work out why the two cars were going the same speed. Unless 35 mph is their top speed (doesn't appear to be the case from other episodes including the one in the tar pit this episode) then surely the one with the tank of fuel would be slower?

Other than that I'm still enjoying this and finding it quite hard not to watch a few minutes of the next episode which can turn into the whole episode.

The end of the 6th episode had me feeling for some of the characters

which is saying something when one is a CGI robot that can't talk and the other is a child actor. I heard complaints of the kid and robot from reviews but I think both of them are doing a good job

34 minutes ago, red snow said:

Hide contents

which is saying something when one is a CGI robot that can't talk and the other is a child actor. I heard complaints of the kid and robot from reviews but I think both of them are doing a good job

Really? Haven't gotten to the reviews yet, but I find the pair to be the most interesting pairing, especially...

Spoiler

in the last three episodes when the Robot is not under Will's control

28 minutes ago, Risto said:

Really? Haven't gotten to the reviews yet, but I find the pair to be the most interesting pairing, especially...

Reveal hidden contents

They were comic-related newsite reviews but they picked them out as being problematic - particularly because their stories weren't that interesting until late in the season. I wonder whether the reviewers actually watched the show or were just trying to get the review out quickly.

I only just finished episode two so I haven't read most of the thread. But I just wanted to say that I liked Dr. Smith until

I realized she abandoned the chicken to die and be eaten.  The guy carrying him has gotten some great lines, but I'm basically rooting for the chicken at this point. I'm kinda hoping it's like rose and bernard on Lost and season two will end with them meeting another group of survivors who have a rooster 

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

I only just finished episode two so I haven't read most of the thread. But I just wanted to say that I liked Dr. Smith until

Hide contents

I realized she abandoned the chicken to die and be eaten.  The guy carrying him has gotten some great lines, but I'm basically rooting for the chicken at this point. I'm kinda hoping it's like rose and bernard on Lost and season two will end with them meeting another group of survivors who have a rooster 

Yeah, they decided to go full on Han Solo with this version of Don West but that type of character is always fun when executed well (even when it is obvious who it's being based on).

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:08 PM, red snow said:

Other than that I'm still enjoying this and finding it quite hard not to watch a few minutes of the next episode which can turn into the whole episode.

Reveal hidden contents

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:44 PM, Risto said:

Reveal hidden contents

I agree with both of you, their relationship and the robot is what's carrying it for me.

Archived