Bakker: The Great Ordeal SPOILER THREAD

Werthead

1 minute ago, lokisnow said:

I still think the inoculation theory of sranc eating holds, kellhus fed proyas human meat in the great ordeal, so it has already begun with him.

bakker said he wants the final novel, like this one, to explore TRANSGRESSION!!! Presumably  that means kellhus transgressing against serwa and Mimara like he transgressed against proyas,  I imagine the cannibalsim, like the sranc eating, becomes about transgression as well.

Wait wait wait when did Proyas eat human meat?  I must have missed this.  it would explain my confusion with the post I just replied to.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfTinyKittens said:

Where are you getting that Kellhus wants them to eat people?  Is it just that the food source has been destroyed?  Because presumably there are more Sranc to eat on the far side of the Sursa.

I think it's implied in their final conversation.......

Something must be eaten … Do you understand me?”“I-I think …”“You, Proyas! You alone! You must make decisions that no Believer could.

Slaves brought them their repast: small medallions of sizzling Sranc meat, seasoned with blueberries and wild scallions rooted from the seashore. The meat was improbably tender and sweet.

That ain't sranc meat

1 hour ago, WrathOfTinyKittens said:
On 7/17/2016 at 7:39 AM, Ser Bryar Ashford said:

Totally agree.  It's basically spelled out in tJE.

Also, Kellhus being Kellhus, there's no way he didn't try M's womb considering E's womb is the only one to successfully contain his seed.

I just don't see the evidence for this.  Mimara has been gone for some months by the time she reaches Akka.  Based on the speed with which the child grows after Akka discovers she's pregnant, unless the baby gestates at an exponential pace I don't think it's possible for her to have been pregnant prior to Hunoreal.

Mimara tells Akka in tJE that Kellhus' kids have strange and extra long gestation periods.

42 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Slaves brought them their repast: small medallions of sizzling Sranc meat, seasoned with blueberries and wild scallions rooted from the seashore. The meat was improbably tender and sweet.

That ain't sranc meat

Ye, seems like a callback to the Hundred Pillars being those Zaudunyani that gave Kellhus their water in the desert.  Same concept.  Kellhus doesn't want Sranc-madness.

7 minutes ago, Ser Bryar Ashford said:

What's the evidence that we know for certain the rate of development?

Because she is clearly and visibly pregnant by the time they arrive in Sauglish and by the time they leave the Demua mountains she is described as burdened by her womb - in other words, her pregnancy is advanced enough that it is impacting her mobility.  Yet she wasn't showing at all when she arrived at the tower in Hunoreal, despite being away from Momemn for some months and likely away from Kellhus even longer, considering that he was, at that moment, conquering Sakarpus.  

1 minute ago, Hello World said:

Wait, the Scylvendi that finds Akka and co. hiding and Mimara says he's one of the Few, isn't he the same one that turns out to be the Skin-spy?

I don't think so... the one of the Few says he's going to bring them to Maurax (ahem), King-of-Tribes, who turns out to be the Cniaur's, uh, consort?

4 minutes ago, WrathOfTinyKittens said:

That raises an interesting question: what was even the point of the fake King-of-Tribes?  Why would Cnaiur hide?  Is it just insanity?  He has no reason to fear sorcery.  

That seemed reasonable. He doesn't want to hide otherwise, but he definitely wants to hide his existence from Kellhus, because he knows that Kellhus would kill him (or at least suspect it). I don't know why Kellhus wouldn't know that things were afoot given behaviors of the Scylvendi and I doubt such a weak ruse would fool him, but I think that's the rationale. It's not sorcery he fears. 

1 hour ago, WrathOfTinyKittens said:

Because she is clearly and visibly pregnant by the time they arrive in Sauglish and by the time they leave the Demua mountains she is described as burdened by her womb - in other words, her pregnancy is advanced enough that it is impacting her mobility.  Yet she wasn't showing at all when she arrived at the tower in Hunoreal, despite being away from Momemn for some months and likely away from Kellhus even longer, considering that he was, at that moment, conquering Sakarpus.  

Seems pretty subjective.  She started showing sometime during their adventure when their attire was different and their attention was elsewhere...We're basically just relying on details Akka notices while plumbing the depths of Cil Aujus.

If K didn't try to get her pregnant there better be a really good reason why.  Biologically, she had a chance to carry his children to term.

39 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Maybe only one of the twins is his because TIME LOOP BULLSHIT.

Heh. Ya know, given the whale mother shenanigans it's entirely possible that she has a womb like a moth or something. Who knows!

Was thinking a smidgen about the significance of the twins and the only thing I can think is that it has to do with the watcher/watched stuff we saw with Kel and Sam. The syllogism goes something like this:

• TJE is active in pregnant women because they have connection with zero-God via child - connection is there to supply a soul
  • Unborn child is dead because they never get souled (just like problem with no-God) and instead the connection stays open
  • Unborn child and another child means connection stays open AND soul comes in to other child - or possibly more than one
  • Because connection stays open, other child becomes the literal avatar of God - it has all the soul

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Huh, the chorae is going to negate the sorcery on the collar and allow Serwa to use sorcery. I think that is what the "light" is that comes from running the chorae on Chipmunk. The chorae negating the sorcery, just like when a chorae hits a sorcerer. 

Huh. You think the chorale permanently negates the imbued sorcery, or the effect only last for to duration of contact? 

2 minutes ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

Huh. You think the chorale permanently negates the imbued sorcery, or the effect only last for to duration of contact? 

I'm thinking only during contact, but I could be wrong.

ETA: you know because it keeps happening every time the Boy runs the chorae along it.

Archived