Which major player will die next?

On 7/21/2016 at 9:01 AM, Sophie of House Stark said:

I think Theon has more to do for now. It's more likely that Yara and Euron will die, leaving an entirely incapable, mentally traumatised Theon to rationalise how he can possibly be Lord of the Iron Islands.

Well if him having no dick and not being able to procreate is the problem, just have that sea captain's daughter he banged on that ship on his way to Pyke back in S2 come forward with a bastard son of his when he takes back the Iron Islands, problem solved :)

Pretty sure in the books Theon was positive he got that women pregnant anyways.

I think Cersei and Jaime will die together during the s7. Though their relationship arestrained now, they can't do without each other.  It was pointed out several times:

Jaime and I are more than brother and sister, we shared a womb, came into this world together, we belong together.

I really want the LF to be exposed and die, but I'm not sure it will happen. GOT isn't known for making our wishes come true.

So the question was about 'major' players only so I'll stick to it (no theon etc).

Major players dying in S7:

Cersei of course..I guess nobody expects her to survive at this point, even if the show adn the books might differ, they wouldn't go separate ways about a character as important as her 

Littlefinger (maybe Sansa will be the reason of his demise, if he is the Giant she will slay, as he likely is)

Diying either in S7 or S8:

Jamie he's going to die when Cersei does (killing her and then killing himself maybe) or some time later (if he aligns himself with Tyrion, maybe he'll die a redeeming death as a valiant knight, making us be sad about a character that at the beginning we all despised). His death and Cersei's might even have, as a side result, Tyrion inheriting Casterly Rock (he is a kinslayer, true.. but he is / will likely be on the winning side of the war and he's Hand of the queen - even if the new ruler were Sansa or Jon, I think they would keep him - and almost every other Lannister is gone). It would be somehow romantic if Brienne took Jamie's place in the kingsguard (there's no one more knightly than her except for Ser Garlan Tyrell) and became the new ruler's Lord commander of Kingsguard. The only chance for Jamie to survive would be if GRRM decided to give his story with Brienne a chance, maybe make them fly away to Tarth or somewhere (he never wanted to be the Lannister heir in any case) or if Jamie aligned himself with Tyrion and resumed his role as lord commander of the kingsguard. Both are kinda unlikely. The first would be too fairytale-like for GRRM's tastes, the second a bit lame (his character would be going backwards if he did resume that role..and why should he be willing to stay to court, when Cersei is not there anymore?). I think his chances of survival are not more than 10-20%.

Dying in S8:

Arya might either die or warg into Nymeria in the end (S8), because of the famous Jon - Arya AGOT line

"You'll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers" 

=> you'll be killing people (sewing as 'using your needle ') throughout winter. When summer comes, they will find your frozen body (not 'you', but 'your body' = either a dead corpse or she warged into Nymeria forever) with the sword Needle still in your hand.

Sitting on the fence about Daenerys and Jon: I'm not sure both will survive, actually I think one of them dies. 

I think Tyrion's chances of dying are higher than most people think, especially if Davos lives and Jon becomes King (King Jhaenerys had a lowborn as Hand.. what is Davos' purpose in the story right now? just to kill Melisandre if they meet again? I don't think so... if he lives, there are high chances he might become Hand). Tyrion dying would be a huge 'shock' so I wouldn't put it past GRRM if he wanted people to keep talking about it, fans to discuss over Tyrion's good/evil nature and death for years, as it happened with S.Snape's death.  I would give it not more than 30% tho.

Like many posters, I believe Jaime will murder Cersei, and probably in season 7, finale.  He will be in a position where he is the only one physically and emotionally close enough to stop her.  However, this act of killing his twin sister, his lover, and his partner in life will 'break' him and he may kill himself as well.  From Storm of Swords, a dream of Jaime about Cersei....

This is your place, Brother. This is your darkness." Her torch was the only light in the cavern. Her torch was the only light in the world. She turned to go.  His darkness will extinguish her torch and her madness. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's not clear from the show what Dorne and the Tyrells are contributing to Dany's force. We are to assume that they are all in for Dany, no?

So Dany has:

The Tyrell Army

The Dorne Army

The Dothraki Army

The Unsullied Army

The Second Sons Mercenaries

3 Dragons + a decent navy

What does this number total in terms of fighting strength? We are led to believe that anyone with the backing from the Tyrells has access to seemingly infinite amounts of wealth, resources, and good relationships with the Iron Bank.

Barring a Spanish Armada like disaster then this is an unstoppable fighting force until it reaches the Army of the Dead. The best shot at stopping Dany is on the sea where her manpower doesn't count for as much while all her fighting forces are still aboard ships. Yet, having the backing of the Tyrells and Dorne pretty much guarantees safe landing on Westeros somewhere in the sea of Dorne where the Reach (the Tyrells) and Dorne (The Martels) have control of the land? No? From that point, landing in friendly territory, they could head north in any number of ways. The entire coalition could move on King’s Landing by land or half the force could attack by land while the other half attacks by sea.

I don’t understand how HBO is attempting to sell Cersei, even with Euron as a credible threat to this overwhelming force? Not even Cersei combined with Euron and the North could successfully mount a counter to this force? I don’t see how anyone except the Army of the Dead can be viewed as believable threats to Dany.   

Now, there's only 2 seasons left. One would think that Season 7 is Dany vs Cersei/Euron. And that Season 8 would need to be dedicated almost completely to Dany vs The Army of the Dead if it’s going to have any dramatic impact whatsoever.

With fewer episodes, I don’t think HBO can afford to deal with the subtle dramatic plot points of Cersei’s relationship with Jaime and Brienne; Rhaegar and Lyanna; whatever is happening with the Hound, Arya, the Red Woman, Gendry, and the Brotherhood without Banners; conflict between Jon Snow and Sansa Stark; Jorah and his grayscale; whatever happens in Meereen while Dany is gone; Sam and his reading; Bran and his visions and his hard on for Meera; Littlefinger and Varys and discovering what they both want.

With 2 seasons left I don’t think there’s a lot of room for plenty of surprises or character/plot development. I don’t think there’s room/time for another setback for Dany. At some point, we need to see the preparation of Westeros against the White Walkers and the White Walkers doing major damage. One would think that all this drama is destined to be the focus of the final season. So I don't see how every episode, with only 7 or 8 in a season now, doesn't contain a major death or wrapping up of a plot in Season 7. 

Unless of course, like with many HBO shows, the final season or two completely suck. Let’s hope the writers don’t destroy the story for the sake of shock like they did with Season 5.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 11:30 PM, RedViperHD said:

It's not clear from the show what Dorne and the Tyrells are contributing to Dany's force. We are to assume that they are all in for Dany, no?

So Dany has:

The Tyrell Army

The Dorne Army

The Dothraki Army

The Unsullied Army

The Second Sons Mercenaries

3 Dragons + a decent navy

What does this number total in terms of fighting strength? We are led to believe that anyone with the backing from the Tyrells has access to seemingly infinite amounts of wealth, resources, and good relationships with the Iron Bank.

Barring a Spanish Armada like disaster then this is an unstoppable fighting force until it reaches the Army of the Dead. The best shot at stopping Dany is on the sea where her manpower doesn't count for as much while all her fighting forces are still aboard ships. Yet, having the backing of the Tyrells and Dorne pretty much guarantees safe landing on Westeros somewhere in the sea of Dorne where the Reach (the Tyrells) and Dorne (The Martels) have control of the land? No? From that point, landing in friendly territory, they could head north in any number of ways. The entire coalition could move on King’s Landing by land or half the force could attack by land while the other half attacks by sea.

I don’t understand how HBO is attempting to sell Cersei, even with Euron as a credible threat to this overwhelming force? Not even Cersei combined with Euron and the North could successfully mount a counter to this force? I don’t see how anyone except the Army of the Dead can be viewed as believable threats to Dany.   

Now, there's only 2 seasons left. One would think that Season 7 is Dany vs Cersei/Euron. And that Season 8 would need to be dedicated almost completely to Dany vs The Army of the Dead if it’s going to have any dramatic impact whatsoever.

With fewer episodes, I don’t think HBO can afford to deal with the subtle dramatic plot points of Cersei’s relationship with Jaime and Brienne; Rhaegar and Lyanna; whatever is happening with the Hound, Arya, the Red Woman, Gendry, and the Brotherhood without Banners; conflict between Jon Snow and Sansa Stark; Jorah and his grayscale; whatever happens in Meereen while Dany is gone; Sam and his reading; Bran and his visions and his hard on for Meera; Littlefinger and Varys and discovering what they both want.

With 2 seasons left I don’t think there’s a lot of room for plenty of surprises or character/plot development. I don’t think there’s room/time for another setback for Dany. At some point, we need to see the preparation of Westeros against the White Walkers and the White Walkers doing major damage. One would think that all this drama is destined to be the focus of the final season. So I don't see how every episode, with only 7 or 8 in a season now, doesn't contain a major death or wrapping up of a plot in Season 7. 

Unless of course, like with many HBO shows, the final season or two completely suck. Let’s hope the writers don’t destroy the story for the sake of shock like they did with Season 5.

I could see a plot twist with LF once again setting his sights on KL and coming to Cersei's aid. Without another major player on Cerise's side, and Dorne and the Reach allied with Dany, The war will be over before it ever gets started in Westeros. Perhaps we will see the Lanisters, the Vale, The Greyjoys and the Frey's vs Dany and co.

The Kl forces still lose, and with the invading force at the gates Cersei goes full mad king and burns the whole city to the ground, herself included. Funny thing though, for some reason I don't think Jamie will be in KL at the time. I actually think he picks back up on his redemption arc, leaves KL in the beginning of S7, and ends up in the North.

In some incredible twist of fate, I do see Jamie eventually dying (possibly Brienne too), saving Brann's life in S8.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 1:46 PM, Gaz0680 said:

Let's look at this logically.

I don't think any single character is definitely going to be alive at the end, so at end of season 8 any or all could die. 

however, there are some I think MUST be alive at the start of the "War for Dawn" (humans v White walkers/wights) or their whole character arc won't make sense or have any real purpose.

As most believe the battle with WW won't really begin until season 8 (or last Ep of Sseason 7), I think we can make some fairly safe assumptions for who will survive season 7.

Definitely safe: Bran, Jon, Dany - these 3 all have a huge role to play in the war for dawn, especially Bran. His whole character arc throughout the series has been specifically around his importance in the coming battle against the others and developing his abilities to where they need to be.

Almost certainly safe: Tyrion, Arya, Sansa - Whilst I think there's a very small chance one of them may die in S7 (definitely not more than 1), I think it likely all 3 will survive. Tyrion is quite likely to be one of the three dragon riders in war for dawn and Arya's arc seems very unfinished, like there's a fair way to go yet. Also she will have a part to play in the battle - Arya is a warrior. Sansa is not a warrior, but I think she'll b very heavily involved in the game of thrones in S7 and will survive.

Probably safe: Varys, Queen of Thorns, Jaqen Hagar - Jaqen because I think the true motivations behind the Faceless Men won't be revealed until end of S7/early S8. Varys and Lady Ole na I'm suspecting to be winners next season in their political moves around the iron throne. They are the two best players left, along with LF.

In extreme risk: Cersei, Littlefinger - should be fairly obvious why in both cases. I don't expect either of them to be alive at end of S7. Everyone already wants Cersei dead and Littlefinger's plotting is surely going to be foiled by Sansa, Varys, Olenna (or combination of the 3) and he will be killed whilst trying some last minute desperate move.

At risk: everyone else.

Sorry but I don't see too much plot armour left for Sansa, after Cersei and Littlefinger she appears a prime candidate to die as she has not obvious role in the war of the dawn.

Jon, Dany and Bran only three with serious plot armour through the next season and by the end, at least two of them will probably die - Dany almost certainly I feel.

Archived