Semi Finals :Wales/Portugal, France/Germany, and Finals: France/Portugal

54 minutes ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

You're pretty much describing Spain in 2012 and we all know how that turned out.

Actually no, he didn't. Spain was able to produce a fluid passing style of game, with play that consisted of 10 or more connected passes. You may like that, or you may not. But Portugal is just horrible to watch. They can rarely play five useful passes. That's so not the same thing.

12 hours ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

You're pretty much describing Spain in 2012 and we all know how that turned out.

Spain in 2012 were not so great to watch either. The great Barcelona style in 2011 was at its best, then it declined.

People tend to forget but the games against Portugal and France were really boring to watch.

They won 4-0 in the final becouse they played 11 against 9 since Italy got 4 injuries (1 that allowed the first goal, 2 of 2 substitutes after 5 minutes they were in). I've never seen so much bad luck in a single game. In the stage phase the same match without handicap ended in a draw 1-1!

7 hours ago, Lucailduca said:

Spain in 2012 were not so great to watch either. The great Barcelona style in 2011 was at its best, then it declined.

People tend to forget but the games against Portugal and France were really boring to watch.

They won 4-0 in the final becouse they played 11 against 9 since Italy got 4 injuries (1 that allowed the first goal, 2 of 2 substitutes after 5 minutes they were in). I've never seen so much bad luck in a single game. In the stage phase the same match without handicap ended in a draw 1-1!

Right, Spain was extremely boring, but not ineffective, it got them the win. This isn't about who is the most entertaining team or who can pass the ball around the most or score the most amazing goals or whatever, that has very little to do with the actual effectiveness of the game. Portugal's style has been pretty effective so far, even though they were boring to watch, so calling them "awful" just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

14 hours ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

Right, Spain was extremely boring, but not ineffective, it got them the win. This isn't about who is the most entertaining team or who can pass the ball around the most or score the most amazing goals or whatever, that has very little to do with the actual effectiveness of the game. Portugal's style has been pretty effective so far, even though they were boring to watch, so calling them "awful" just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Portugal can only be called effective if the effect they were hoping to make is to bore everyone to death.

Calling them effective after their first (and only) win in regular time came in the semi-finals is just silly.

As I said, whoever wins the tournament is a worthy champion, but let's not pretend the champion will be fondly remembered. Years down the line, when we think of this tournament we'll think of pleasant surprises that were Iceland and Wales, and not much more.

Archived