How else can the Targaryen name continue on if not through Jon?

8 minutes ago, Drago said:

Thanks for the history lesson but you need not state the obvious. The Targs downfall was not that they lost their dragons but rather they made some very bad choices and isn't it ironic now after all these years that the dragons might play a role in saving everyone after the Maesters tried to wipe them out.

I'm just trying to explain my logic.

10 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

She can't have children yet, at least not until the requirements of her prophecy are fulfilled.  

Nitpick - the prophecy (or whatever it is) is for when Khal Drogo would return. 'When your womb quickens again and you bear a living child' was included in the list of seemingly impossible events.

On ‎6‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 4:53 AM, xjlxking said:

Jon will continue the Targ line. With that said, he is the main character and yes...

the entire series/novel is about his. All hints that point to the hero are literal for Dany but figurative for Jon. Dany was thrown into the story as a Mary Sue with obvious clues to her being a "hero" but Jon has figurative and metaphorical clues and he is the real hero

Agreed. the further the show progresses the more important Jon becomes and the more Dany's claim diminishes.

I think what will end up happening is that Jon will reluctantly become King and Dany will be his Hand essentially giving her power until Jon's Children are of age. I can't see them marrying. It could go a number of different ways but in the end I think both of them will be there in some capacity.

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

Nitpick - the prophecy (or whatever it is) is for when Khal Drogo would return. 'When your womb quickens again and you bear a living child' was included in the list of seemingly impossible events.

Oh damn. You're totally right.  I had that whole thing tied to her having a kid again. Derp

7 hours ago, Drago said:

Agreed. the further the show progresses the more important Jon becomes and the more Dany's claim diminishes.

I think what will end up happening is that Jon will reluctantly become King and Dany will be his Hand essentially giving her power until Jon's Children are of age. I can't see them marrying. It could go a number of different ways but in the end I think both of them will be there in some capacity.

They can marry but no way will that occur because of their popularity. This is why I think Dany will eventually die

As for Jon, I have no idea if he will rule the throne. Just rewatching the episodes and you can tell that they made sure to put emphasis on Robb not being as honorable as his dad but Jon being Neds son. In that regard, I think he will sit on the throne much like Ned did being the hand... Hating every min of it

I sometimes wonder what Dany's actual longterm plan is. She has spent years gathering the army and the resources to take the Iron Throne that I wonder what she intends to do once she sits on it. Does she have an endgame? Has she done all this to just allow the Targaryen name to die with her? It seems a lot of effort and little reward if you know (or, rather, presume) you are the last Targaryen.

On July 3, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Travis said:

The reason I ask is that by all accounts that we know of, Dany cannot produce any heirs. To me, it seems that the only way to make that work would be to legitimize Jon as a Targaryan and marry him to make him King of Westeros. When she dies in battle, he will then be free to remarry and continue the bloodline through another wife. What do you all think?

Jon's already been legitimized as a Stark.

And Jon wouldn't accept a Targaryen name over the Stark name.

If the line of kings continues from Jon's line, they will be Starks rather than Targaryens

17 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

If the line of kings continues from Jon's line, they will be Starks rather than Targaryens

Jon was a snow but someone he is legitimized as a stark. His kids could call themselves Targs as well especially if they get the "silver hair"

22 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

I heard someone mention on this board, that since Martin is following War of Roses with major points, at the end Houses of Lancaster and Yorks merged with Henry VII who named his dynasty as Tudor. So perhaps neither Stark nor Targaryen but a new name

I don't think we can say Jon has been legitimized as a Stark. Maybe he will be in the future. But a young Lady and a few northern Lords saying, "We don't care if you're a bastard. You're a Stark to us" makes it neither true nor legal in any way. One, they may be able to name him King in the North (they have that right), but they cannot legitimately call him a Stark. Two, it just simply isn't true (being a Stark), and we know that now as viewers. I think this is going to cause quite a bit of conflict within us viewers, as well as among the remaining characters as it becomes known to them. Will he end up, when it's all said and done, being a Stark or Targaryen in his own eyes and/or the eyes of the people? Or will the truth be fully known by the people in the end?

25 minutes ago, Masha said:

I heard someone mention on this board, that since Martin is following War of Roses with major points, at the end Houses of Lancaster and Yorks merged with Henry VII who named his dynasty as Tudor. So perhaps neither Stark nor Targaryen but a new name

Snow, perhaps?

6 minutes ago, Sophie of House Stark said:

Snow, perhaps?

Nope, they won't go with a Bastard name for the dynasty. They might use it as a root of a larger name though

2 hours ago, Travis said:

I don't think we can say Jon has been legitimized as a Stark. Maybe he will be in the future. But a young Lady and a few northern Lords saying, "We don't care if you're a bastard. You're a Stark to us" makes it neither true nor legal in any way. One, they may be able to name him King in the North (they have that right), but they cannot legitimately call him a Stark. Two, it just simply isn't true (being a Stark), and we know that now as viewers. I think this is going to cause quite a bit of conflict within us viewers, as well as among the remaining characters as it becomes known to them. Will he end up, when it's all said and done, being a Stark or Targaryen in his own eyes and/or the eyes of the people? Or will the truth be fully known by the people in the end?

He's been legitimized as a Stark in the books.

I think the same has been done in the show. A legitimized bastard is still a bastard btw

Also it's unlikely that anyone will believe he's a Targaryen 

7 hours ago, Sophie of House Stark said:

I sometimes wonder what Dany's actual longterm plan is. She has spent years gathering the army and the resources to take the Iron Throne that I wonder what she intends to do once she sits on it. Does she have an endgame? Has she done all this to just allow the Targaryen name to die with her? It seems a lot of effort and little reward if you know (or, rather, presume) you are the last Targaryen.

I've wondered that as well. I honestly don't think she's given it much thought. I think she wants it due to her belief she's next in line. Simple as that. As if it's her "destiny", and what she's "owed." Which is how I'm sure most people born into a royal lineage would feel.

Where it actually IS Jon's, and he's likely going to wish he'd stayed dead.

Someone else posted that it would be awesome if it's Dany's dragons who recognize Jon's legitimacy. I've no idea what they'd do, although I'd love to see them all try to be Lap Kittehs and start those Drogon purring noises.... like when Drogon always to tries to lay his massive, barn-sized head in her lap. 

What's interesting though, is how Dany has already spread Democracy to Meeren and The Bay of Dragons..... 

Archived