How else can the Targaryen name continue on if not through Jon?

5 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Jon's already been legitimized as a Stark.

And Jon wouldn't accept a Targaryen name over the Stark name.

If the line of kings continues from Jon's line, they will be Starks rather than Targaryens

No one has legitimized Jon. Only a monarch can do that. 

And in the end, Jon won't need "legitimizing" because he's not really a bastard. He also doesn't need Winterfell. 

Besides, all that logistical ruling crap can be figured out AFTER they save humanity. 

1 hour ago, lakin1013 said:

Jon and Dany Stargaryen, with their children, Ned and Edd.  We can all get it on t-shirts.  

I think you mean their children Eyddyrd and Nyddaerd...ys.

6 minutes ago, ShadowKitteh said:

What's interesting though, is how Dany has already spread Democracy to Meeren and The Bay of Dragons..... 

I'm skeptical that this isn't a show-only invention and/or that it won't result in complete failure. Meereen was rising up against Dany while she was personally there with her dragons. In her absence I would expect more of that, in addition to Volantis and the other Slave Cities giving another go at attacking the city. It would be odd if they just decided "Oh she's gone now, let's just leave that tiny occupational force alone and let the slaves rule the city."

4 minutes ago, ShadowKitteh said:

There's no one alive in the books who knows about Robb's will. 

Robb's will is not a thing, and I doubt it ever will be at this point.

Maege Mormont and Galbart Glover are still alive in the books, and regardless of whether or not they have Robb's Will, they would have been part of the group that witnessed it's signing, would they not?

Edit: Greatjon Umber is still alive as well.

On July 7, 2016 at 4:50 PM, nothatso said:

Maege Mormont and Galbart Glover are still alive in the books, and regardless of whether or not they have Robb's Will, they would have been part of the group that witnessed it's signing, would they not?

Edit: Greatjon Umber is still alive as well.

Ah, right. 

It just seems like such a weird plot device to me.... my brain wants to ignore it I guess.

On 05/07/2016 at 2:22 PM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Any monarch can legitimize a bastard within their country, which technically means Jon, as King in the North, can legitimize himself (the way Robb legitimized Jon in the books; and, of course, Dany can do it).

People keep saying this as if it's 100% confirmed. It's not confirmed that Robb legitimised Jon, it's a theory based on the content of the text.

Why does the Targ line actually have to be continued? Sometimes lines are extinguished, it's not beyond the realm of possibility but nobody ever considers it might happen.

I find it really unlikely Jon will identify as a Targaryen rather than a Stark. Dany could have bastards or even adopt children and then legitimise them herself if she were the queen, just like Aegon the Unworthy did. It's not a huge issue.

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

People keep saying this as if it's 100% confirmed. It's not confirmed that Robb legitimised Jon, it's a theory based on the content of the text.

Why does the Targ line actually have to be continued? Sometimes lines are extinguished, it's not beyond the realm of possibility but nobody ever considers it might happen.

I find it really unlikely Jon will identify as a Targaryen rather than a Stark. Dany could have bastards or even adopt children and then legitimise them herself if she were the queen, just like Aegon the Unworthy did. It's not a huge issue.

Maybe Dany will realize she doesn't need to marry to make an alliance since her nephew is part of the major houses in Westeros. They could just work on being family and forming an alliance.  Like you said she can legitimize her bastards or she can name Jon and his children her heirs. 

11 hours ago, King Jon Stark Targaryen said:

Maybe Dany will realize she doesn't need to marry to make an alliance since her nephew is part of the major houses in Westeros. 

She’ll want to keep her family close, even though her bastard brother and rumored lover still has to rule Casterly Rock to pay back his debt to the Second Sons.

This is exactly akin to Aegon the Conqueror’s bastard brother and rumored lover Orys Baratheon.

Stark or not I think it's best we focus on defeating the dead. This conversation is so convoluted and there are so many possible paths it's obvious we can't go further in our speculations. We know the truth about Jon's parentage but unfortunately it seems that knowledge will be of no consequence until whatever is the aftermath of GRRM's endgame should Jon urvive or it might be a part of the endgame itself who can say? All I know is there is an army of friggin dead people literally knocking at the Seven Kingdoms door. Not to mention their magical,nigh impervious to normal weapons, immortal ,and icy overlords. Valar Morghulis.

Jon may continue the Targaryen line, but isn't likely to continue the Targaryen name.  Having said that, he isn't likely to continue the Stark name, either.  And this assumes that he lives through the ultimate battle, and settles down to marry and have children.  Arya and/or Sansa may marry and reproduce, and their progeny may inherit Winterfell, but they won't be Starks.  And Bran is not likely to have issue.  So this is likely the last generation of Starks, too.  All of the "Lannister" children are dead, and it isn't likely that Cercei and Jamie will have more (remember, Maggie the Frog told Cercei she'd have three).  I suppose Tyrion is capable of producing an heir, but isn't likely to, and that's assuming that he is - in fact - a Lannister. Joffrey had all of Robert Baratheon's bastards slaughtered, and both of Robert's brothers as well as his only niece have since been killed.  So the Baratheon name has already lapsed into obscurity as has the Tyrell name and the Martell name.  I think the irony is that by the end of the series ALL of the great names of Westeros will only continue in legend.

4 hours ago, abbracadabbra said:

Jon may continue the Targaryen line, but isn't likely to continue the Targaryen name.  Having said that, he isn't likely to continue the Stark name, either.  And this assumes that he lives through the ultimate battle, and settles down to marry and have children.  Arya and/or Sansa may marry and reproduce, and their progeny may inherit Winterfell, but they won't be Starks.  And Bran is not likely to have issue.  So this is likely the last generation of Starks, too.  All of the "Lannister" children are dead, and it isn't likely that Cercei and Jamie will have more (remember, Maggie the Frog told Cercei she'd have three).  I suppose Tyrion is capable of producing an heir, but isn't likely to, and that's assuming that he is - in fact - a Lannister. Joffrey had all of Robert Baratheon's bastards slaughtered, and both of Robert's brothers as well as his only niece have since been killed.  So the Baratheon name has already lapsed into obscurity as has the Tyrell name and the Martell name.  I think the irony is that by the end of the series ALL of the great names of Westeros will only continue in legend.

I thought the same thing but apparently the Houses can continue through the female line or even by bastards. So technically Dany can continue the line with any husband the children would just take the Targaryen name. There is even a real life example: The House of Windsor in the UK.

There hasn't been any foreshadowing about Jon's body not functioning normally because he's "undead" (although he's not undead in a classical sense; he's just a returned human). So I don't think he'll have any problems with procreation. At the same time its been heavily implied that Dany's infertile. So Targ's best chance right now is Jon. But - There's no one who can legitimize him. Anyone ruler of Westeros legitimizing Jon is basically forfeiting the Iron Throne .

3 hours ago, King Jon Stark Targaryen said:

I thought the same thing but apparently the Houses can continue through the female line or even by bastards. So technically Dany can continue the line with any husband the children would just take the Targaryen name. There is even a real life example: The House of Windsor in the UK.

All Dany would need to do is adopt someone and give them her Targaryen name and make them her heir. BINGO the name continues. It worked for Julius Caesar and Octavian.

26 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

All Dany would need to do is adopt someone and give them her Targaryen name and make them her heir. BINGO the name continues. It worked for Julius Caesar and Octavian.

I don't know if you mean that as a joke or not, but Dany lives (or is trying to live) in a feudal monarchy with different laws and traditions wherein offices of rulership are hereditary. Julius Caesar lived in a republic and held non-hereditary political positions (e.g. senator, consul, dictator) and adopted his niece's son as the heir to his name and fortune, but not really anything else. Octavian used his great-uncle's name and wealth to accrue political and military support, but he didn't actually inherit a political office. Even after Octavian turned Rome into a full-fledged autocracy, ancient imperial Rome (pre-split) was not a traditional hereditary monarchy like Westeros. The rules weren't the same.

3 hours ago, OrcusOfUndeath said:

There hasn't been any foreshadowing about Jon's body not functioning normally because he's "undead" (although he's not undead in a classical sense; he's just a returned human). So I don't think he'll have any problems with procreation. At the same time its been heavily implied that Dany's infertile. So Targ's best chance right now is Jon. But - There's no one who can legitimize him. Anyone ruler of Westeros legitimizing Jon is basically forfeiting the Iron Throne .

Jon doesn't need legitimizing because he already is. Kings Guard would never fight to the death over a bastard. 

Why can't we move on the the more important question: How does he and everyone else, find out?

I think Dany will have a child with someone (Jon or someone else), but dies in childbirth (and therefore reunites with Drogo). The child will be raised by Jon, to become the Targ King.

Jon - I'm not sure. I want him to marry Arya, take the Stark name ("I'm not making the rules. Girls get the arms but not the swords. Bastards get the swords but not the arms." - and after that, he gives a sword to Arya. So Arya should give him the arms), and have Stark kids, so the Stark line would continue through them. And remain KitN. Sansa can rule the Vale, after Sweetrobin dies.

Dany mentioned not being able to have children this season, which means that if she believes that then she's been having unprotected sex with Daario for years now and still hasn't become pregnant. Yeah, she's barren alright. Changing that all of the sudden wouldn't just seem like cop out, but it also completely undermines the themes in her arc such as considering the dragons her only children and thinking of herself as the ex'slaves' Mhysa.

Archived