Wait. so why was Jon called the "White Wolf"?

jontargaryan

I think everyone would know Jon has a white direwolf. That strikes me as the sort of cool nugget of information everyone would know about the Starks. My problem is it seemed to come from nowhere. They should have at least showed us Ghost, so we'd make the mental connection. Of course we get it, but it seemed forced without Ghost being right there at Jon's feet.

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 1:07 PM, Kytheros said:

<>

But seriously, they really should have had Ghost in that scene. The only plausible explanation for not having Ghost around is budgetary ... and that's just frigging stupid. Cut some dragons. Cut some of the battle sequences. Cut the wights climbing on the damned walls and ceiling to chase after Bran and company.

A thousand times this.  He should have been sitting by Jon during this scene - at a minimum.  Better, he should have been in the Battle - they CGI'd loads of horses - why not the wolf they're going to name a king after!?

4 hours ago, Ser Quork said:

A thousand times this.  He should have been sitting by Jon during this scene - at a minimum.  Better, he should have been in the Battle - they CGI'd loads of horses - why not the wolf they're going to name a king after!?

Because if Ghost would've been there, they'd have given into the temptation to have him trampled or buried in that pile of corpses or something.

Budget reason?! Right. They spend gazillions of dollars in the development and planning of the episodes and are meticulous in the details they go into. 

We have all seen the "inside the episode" (right?) and there's just so much that goes on and it's on such a grand scale that it makes absolutely no since for Ghost to not be shown for the last 8 shows because of budget reasons.

I can think of only three possible reasons for not showing Ghost.

1.Ghost has left Jon. Maybe wen Jon was resurrected that part of you that you lose wen ur brought back from the dead, that the lightning lord speaks about was the part or had something to do with the part that has a strong connection to Ghost, his warging ability.(this is total speculation and was a big reach for me to include here)

2. Robs dire wolf Greywind fought beside Rob in all the battles Rob fought. Now if Ghost was beside Jon going into the Battle of the Bastards, there was no way in hell Ghost would have survived that mess. Jon almost dies 100 times in that battle, all those arrows and horses and carnage, Jon really had a guardian angle looking out for him(PTWP?). Ghost has a more important role moving forward so he was spared the battle and the season pretty much for that matter. (Reach for me to include here)

3. After Jons resurrection, but before Jon leaves the wall, Ghost sensed trouble for Bran and took off beyond the wall to help Bran back to Winterfell. We haven't seen him because he's off through the woods beyond the wall moving to Bran. (Reach for me to include here)

Now these are all giant stretches of my imagination but I just can't reason any other factors for not showing more of Ghost by Jons side. These reasons I've listed really don't make much sense but then again it dosent make  any sense for not showing Ghost. I was really disappointed with this choice from HBO. The dire wolfs were always by the Stark children's sides and we saw a lot of Jon this season. 

TSK TSK HBO

@Lrd Commander Midnight No it really was a budget constraint. Sapochnik explained it. They had to choose btween having Wun Wun or Ghost at the battle. Wun Wun was the obvious, reasonable choice. Direwolves are just overgrown wolves, they're not that hard to kill. An arrow or two to the head and they're done. Ghost would have perished if he had fought.

On 7/7/2016 at 7:53 AM, Ser Quork said:

I agree that would have been cool. I always picture Jon sitting at the head of the table with Ghost sitting right beside him. I think it would be cool to see Ghost in the battle.

On 7/7/2016 at 0:46 PM, Lord Lannister said:

Because if Ghost would've been there, they'd have given into the temptation to have him trampled or buried in that pile of corpses or something.

I know kind of like with Bran's direwolf when it jumped in to save him from the White Walkers. That made me so sad. I hate watching the direwolves get killed off. I love animals!

15 hours ago, Frejac said:

I do not believe that Ghost exists.

I believe that every time I thought I saw Ghost, it was simply a figment of my imagination.

There's no such thing as Ghosts.

Is this a joke? If so good one...but really? Anyways this made me laugh. It made my day. Thanks for this.

The direwolves are more important in the books than the Show.

I don't mind that the show killed Grey Wind or Shaggydog, since their masters were killed. I hate the way they killed Summer off though. Of all the direwolf-Stark relationships, Bran and Summer had without doubt the closest connection (yes, even more than Jon/Ghost). Summer is very important in Bran's storyline and Bran's link to summer and ability to warg into him is key.

On July 6, 2016 at 11:13 PM, Lady Knows Nothing said:

I was also thinking along these lines. All the stark children have dark haired or at least close to dark haired direwolves while Jon was the only one to receive a white direwolf. Jon is kind of the black sheep in the family, odd duck, the bastard so by calling him a white wolf portrays that he is not a true born Stark but he is a Stark none the less.

On July 5, 2016 at 8:02 AM, The hairy bear said:

The Stark banner is a grey wolf on a white field. It is traditional among bastards to reverse the colors of their banners, so Jon's banner would have a white wolf. If you add to this that he has an actual white wolf around, the nickname was very obvious.

The most known example of a bastard reversing the colors was Daemon Blackfyre, who was known as "The Black Dragon". Jon being the White Wolf also echoes this.

This.

On 6/7/2016 at 9:19 AM, Iron Mother said:

So just checking, is Summer dead?  I think so, died with Hodor under the tree.  The Direwolves have had  significance but have not heard a great explanation.... seems like when someone's wolf died, they lost something?  Like, there's a tie-in to their wolf and their place in Winterfell.. or possibly their "legitimacy"?  Can't find the right word.  So ultimately, Jon has the only wolf left and he's destined now to - what - rule Winterfell?  Or it means legitimacy for him as a Stark? 

Also, that Lady (Sansa's wolf) was killed in place of Nymeria... perhaps that means she really did not lost legitimacy?  (sorry I can't think of the right word).  While Arya's wolf Nymeria is not dead but roaming wild just like Arya.  My goodness, give me some peace and let Arya be wandering the countryside and find a feral Nymeria who still recognizes her scent, and that reunion would just give me the biggest heart-hug ever.

Lady had to die to foreshadow Sansa losing her Lady side. Summer had to die, since winter was coming.

• 10 months later...
On 7/5/2016 at 5:10 AM, jontargaryan said:

The obvious answer is because of Ghost, who was white. But how would all the northern lords know of Ghost?

Which lord would care to remember the wolf or the color of the wolf of a bastard?

I doubt anyone outside the Nights Watch ever knew he had a direwolf

Looking from northmen perspective it's clear the reason why the "White Wolf"-Ghost is a white direwolf and Jon is his master. 

From story perspective, since wolves signify something more than just wolves, Jon's direwolf is choosen to be white to hint Jon's Targaryen ancestry (they all are known to have pale, white hair), and the red eyes signify fire. Pretty basic stuff but that's why it's meant to be symbolic.

Basically Ghost fulfills Jon's Stark-Targ symbiosis perfectly.

On 5.07.2016 at 3:02 PM, The hairy bear said:

The Stark banner is a grey wolf on a white field. It is traditional among bastards to reverse the colors of their banners, so Jon's banner would have a white wolf. If you add to this that he has an actual white wolf around, the nickname was very obvious.

The most known example of a bastard reversing the colors was Daemon Blackfyre, who was known as "The Black Dragon". Jon being the White Wolf also echoes this.

Best explanation.

Jon has a white direwolf and also Jon is much associated with snow, such as his name and being in the Night's Watch where it's cold and snowing. I just want to mention that each of the direwolves belonging to the Stark kids seem to be linked with them on a spiritual level. Bran became his wolf in dreams, for example. Another is some people claimed Robb Stark turned into a large wolf. The Starks have a direwolf symbol on their family crest. I think they could be a type of werewolf race.

Archived