Is Dany barren in the show?

Chib

I remember someone said that in some commentaries after the show, D&D actually said Dany's barren or so. Does that mean Dany will never have a child again? 

I don't remember that commentary video, anyone give me a link?

1 minute ago, Shortspear Rick said:

I don't know if that's so much a prophesy as it is a long-winded way to say "never"

Prophecies are something to be taken very seriously in the world of ice and fire.

Specifically, those uttered by witches, they are the most relevan, hence Daenerys prophecy will come true, as will those that Quaithe has foreseen, and Cersei's (this one's almost completely fulfilled)

1 hour ago, grufolo said:

Prophecies are something to be taken very seriously in the world of ice and fire.

Specifically, those uttered by witches, they are the most relevan, hence Daenerys prophecy will come true, as will those that Quaithe has foreseen, and Cersei's (this one's almost completely fulfilled)

Yet the show's version of MMD's prophesy completely omitted the part about her being barren. The "when your womb quickens again" bit was not said at all by MMD.

29 minutes ago, GravyFace said:

Yet the show's version of MMD's prophesy completely omitted the part about her being barren. The "when your womb quickens again" bit was not said at all by MMD.

I think she is.  I believe it is when she is trying to save he dragons from the House of the Undying, Jorah tells her she shouldn't risk her life for them that they aren't her babies, and she says something like "They are my children, and they are the only children I will ever have".

So while not explicitly saying it, sounds like she thinks she will never have children other than her dragons.

Just now, jrod said:

I think she is.  I believe it is when she is trying to save he dragons from the House of the Undying, Jorah tells her she shouldn't risk her life for them that they aren't her babies, and she says something like "They are my children, and they are the only children I will ever have".

So while not explicitly saying it, sounds like she thinks she will never have children other than her dragons.

Yet we have no context as to why she believes that she's barren. MMD never told her anything about being barren. 

4 minutes ago, GravyFace said:

Yet we have no context as to why she believes that she's barren. MMD never told her anything about being barren. 

Agreed they don't explicitly say whether she is and how she would know, or if she isn't barren.  All I am going off of is her comment that she apparently believes she is.  Seems like one of those things that the writers didn't want to just put out in your face, but have you infer from what was said.

Just my opinion, I can't "prove" this with quotes from ASOIAF, but I have long believed that the prophecy will somehow be fulfilled, and Dany will have biological children.

This is how propehcies work in fiction, they are often superficially very misleading.

In this case I believe we have been misled into believing Dany will  "never" have children again, but that's too simple and obvious an explanation for why GRRM wrote that stuff.  There will be a twist, and GRRM will cleverly reveal what those words really meant, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Cron said:

Just my opinion, I can't "prove" this with quotes from ASOIAF, but I have long believed that the prophecy will somehow be fulfilled, and Dany will have biological children.

This is how propehcies work in fiction, they are often superficially very misleading.

In this case I believe we have been misled into believing Dany will  "never" have children again, but that's too simple and obvious an explanation for why GRRM wrote that stuff.  There will be a twist, and GRRM will cleverly reveal what those words really meant, in my opinion.

The thing is someone said that D&D confirmed in a video that Dany is barren... So what do you think?

I don't personally remember anyone in the show or anyone associated with it explicitly saying Dany is barren, but I don't think it matters one way or another. If they need her to be fertile again they'll invent a way for it to happen. They cut out Robb's Will only to make Jon accepted as KitN anyway. In the same way they can invent some method by which she becomes fertile again, be it by hidden knowledge of The Citadel, or the work of the Red Priests, or whatever.

9 hours ago, grufolo said:

Yeah, I understand the way prophecies work, especially in this story. What I'm saying is what makes Mirri Maz Duur's words to Dany a prophesy? She was a witch with knowledge of blood magic to be sure but who's to say she had the ability to foresee the future. 

“When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before.”

Yes, that's the quote from the books, but it contains the full text of what you are calling a prophecy. She's telling Dany that Drogo will never return from his vegetative state using examples of things that one can assume they will never see happen. Her knowledge of how the magic works and the costs involved would likely lead her to know that whatever twisted Rhaego also twisted her womb. Mirri Maz Duur is saying that the chances of Drogo regaining his senses are about as likely as her ever bearing another child, i.e. about as likely as the seas going dry, i.e. impossible. There's nothing prophetic about it and even if it were a prophecy it would be pertaining to the return of Drogo, a man who is dead and reduced to ashes so at this point is never coming back, not to Dany's womb. 

Quaithe spoke in prophecies. Maggy the Frog spoke in prophecies. Mirri Maaz Duur was a vengeful witch who merely told Dany the Essos version of "when pig's fly". 

7 hours ago, Cron said:

Once again, the old "it's too simple, there must be a twist" argument. It is one of the stupidest and laziest justifications for "fan theories" out there and completely devoid of all logic. Here's a theory- the final moments of the last episode pans back to see GRR Martin's autistic son staring at a fuzzy TV, showing that the whole world of ice and fire was merely in his head, because having a fantasy world with dragons and zombies be the actual setting of events is just so simple and exactly what one would be suspecting the entire time. Bam, they St. Elsewhere us at the very end and the only two people to see it coming were me and M Night Shyamalan...

10 hours ago, Shortspear Rick said:

I don't know if that's so much a prophesy as it is a long-winded way to say "never"

Thank you. It's like every time someone gives a long winded and grandiloquent statement it just HAS to be a prophecy. It can't be as simple as a woman who was wronged mocking her perceived tormentor.

12 hours ago, Quyen Thuy Tran said:

The thing is someone said that D&D confirmed in a video that Dany is barren... So what do you think?

"Is barren" does not mean the same thing as "always will be barren."

Note that we were told Jon WAS truly dead, which was true.  But it didn't STAY true.

The show runners can't guarantee what GRRM has in store for the future, either.

I'm confused so Dany is barren in the show, or are people saying she is cause the prophecy in the books says she is?

Like how people assume were getting a Valonqar moment( Me included ) with Cersei/Jamie/Tyrion, even tho show Cersei never got the whole prophecy about the Valongar bit?

I don't think it matters, taht she can't produce an heir. The whole concept of ruling through blood is stupid anyway.

I would prefer Dany not to die in childbirth, but announcing the new king/queen after her, before she dies in another way. But pls not that childbirth scenario.

Archived