Acrophobia 24 - Be the Prophesier! and the winner is .... !

lil' ghost

1)   6. Rime creeps ashen. Mother of Pride tarnishes dragon's seat.

2)  11. Rightful claimant attacks monstrous Others. Promised Targaryen delivers spring. 

3)  1. Rhaegar's children are mourned or protected through dissembling Stark.  

4)  3. Regenerated crow amorous material, optimal pairing. Then dreams succeed... 

1st.   11. Rightful claimant attacks monstrous Others. Promised Targaryen delivers spring.  I think this is the best entry by a long shot.

2nd.   4. Remain cautiously aloof. Many "obliging" people'll try deceptive shenanigans.  More advice than prophecy, but well written.

3rd.    9. Regaining chair accomplishes minimum, Others proceeding, their desolation spreading.  I think this is a paler version of number one, mainly because I think the ending is weak.

4th.   10. Run, Child, and make Others pray to Death's sympathy.  Cryptic like a prophecy.

I know number 6 is the big hit, but it's too cryptic for me - I have no idea at all what it's supposed to mean.

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I know number 6 is the big hit, but it's too cryptic for me - I have no idea at all what it's supposed to mean.

I read it as a warning against her growing pridefulness, perhaps even a prophecy that Targaryen madness will kick in at some point. I decided it was the most interesting entry even if it isn't perfect. I had problems with the 11th.

I will say I don't think the standard has been great this round or last but it often seems my opinion is considerably different. I very much loved my own, this round, yet my points are very few.

6 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I read it as a warning against her growing pridefulness, perhaps even a prophecy that Targaryen madness will kick in at some point. I decided it was the most interesting entry even if it isn't perfect. I had problems with the 11th.

I will say I don't think the standard has been great this round or last but it often seems my opinion is considerably different. I very much loved my own, this round, yet my points are very few.

Really, I thought this round was inspired.  I found it so hard to choose.

21 minutes ago, Stoned Heart said:

Really, I thought this round was inspired.  I found it so hard to choose.

I think the prophecy topic is a tough one to master and is harder to create and vote in because there are so many angles to consider. And also, it looks as though people have very differing ideas on what makes a great prophecy entry.

I prefer prophecies that are in line with characters' current motivations but I get why others might see things differently.

7 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Well...my problem is with the words used.  When I see 'rime' I think of 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner', or story or poem, and 'Poem creeps ashen' makes no sense to me.  It also means frost, and 'Frost creeps ashen' doesn't make any sense to me either.  And if anyone could be described as a Mother of Pride, wouldn't that really be a Lannister?  Does Dany lead lions somewhere? 

47 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I think the prophecy topic is a tough one to master and is harder to create and vote in because there are so many angles to consider. And also, it looks as though people have very differing ideas on what makes a great prophecy entry.

I prefer prophecies that are in line with characters' current motivations but I get why others might see things differently.

Yeah, even a blind man could look at Varys' picture and see a swinging, hipster dude who plays a mean horn in a jazz band. :P

ETA:  I think the words sound mystic and cryptic and good together....

The author of clue #6 wants to chime in, but cannot, so I am going to post this on their behalf :)

"The first part is about winter and the others.  Rime is frost is my usage.  It should be read in two ways:

1. Noun verb adjective (this is that frost creeps over westeros, white in colour)
  2. Adjective noun verb (this is that frosty creatures turn white)

The second part of the prophesy is again double in meaning.

1. Mother of pride refers to Cersei, the mother of lions, who currently sits on the throne, hence tarnishing what is rightly Targaryen.
  2. Mother of pride also refers to Dany who has begun to impose her ideas instead of democratic leadership, warning her to be cautious.  Here I was also thinking about Jon and battles to come over who belongs on the throne. "

Archived