Bond 25: No Time To Die

Rhom

Billie Eilish is good but I'm not sure I see her style as a good fit for Bond at all, and her older songs where she did sing in a more Bond-y style were pretty bland. Feels like Lana Del Rey would have been a better choice...

Someday they're gonna have to bite the bullet and have Kanye West do one.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

How is she a thing? I’m open minded about music and always try to give artists a few chances. I listened to three songs and she is absolutely terrible. It’s like a mediocre talent had sex with pop music, acid and heroin and produced a baby. That’s Billie Eilish.

1 hour ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Ummm, ok boomer? 

This exchange reminds me of the classic South Park episode "You're Getting Old:"

"It's a condition called being a cynical asshole."  "Oh no!" That's gotta be one of my favorite things ever, always makes me laugh.  Anyway, while I've heard of Billie Eilish, I have no idea if I've ever even heard her music.

2 hours ago, Conflicting Thought said:

A victory for the deplorables, nice! 

Her actual comments are perfectly reasonable:

He can be of any color, but he is male. I believe we should be creating new characters for women - strong female characters. I’m not particularly interested in taking a male character and having a woman play it. I think women are far more interesting than that.

They have a female 007 in this one. Do people actually want them to cast a woman as "James Bond?" or "Jane Bond" or something? 

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Anyway, while I've heard of Billie Eilish, I have no idea if I've ever even heard her music.

I've been riding with my step-daughter as she drives on her learner's permit and have seen the name run across the screen for the radio thingamob in the car.  Couldn't tell you what song it was, but the name was unique enough that I recognized it when I saw the article.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm glad you reminded me of your stance on women! I'd almost forgotten!

We already saw a kickass female Bond, Charlize in Atomic Blonde. Agreed we don't need the name Bond to make women bad ass.

What is my stance on women? 

As you say, nothing stopping anyone making great movies with female leads. Nothing at all. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

As you say, nothing stopping anyone making great movies with female leads. Nothing at all. 

Nothing stopping anyone gender switching famous roles in existing franchises either.

Broccoli’s notion that “women are more interesting than that” isn’t particularly persuasive that the former would be better than the latter.

How much can you change a character and still say it's the same character. Unfortunately for those hoping to break free of reality and common sense, James Bond IS a man, and being male fundamentaly is part of HIS character. There is nothing saying James Bond has to be white.. but he is a man.

There really is almost no compelling reason for making such an enormous shift to who James Bond is. Outside of being wedged to some rigid political dogma of course.

There are of course plenty of other action franchises with female leads, so what even is the case for mindlessly gender swapping such a famous character when there doesn't appear to be anything stopping female action movies being made.

Unfortunately for those hoping to break free of reality

Um... James Bond isn't real.

Outside of being wedged to some rigid political dogma of course.

The notion that Bond must always be a white male is itself a rigid political dogma.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

How much can you change a character and still say it's the same character. Unfortunately for those hoping to break free of reality and common sense, James Bond IS a man, and being male fundamentaly is part of HIS character. There is nothing saying James Bond has to be white.. but he is a man.

There really is almost no compelling reason for making such an enormous shift to who James Bond is. Outside of being wedged to some rigid political dogma of course.

There are of course plenty of other action franchises with female leads, so what even is the case for mindlessly gender swapping such a famous character when there doesn't appear to be anything stopping female action movies being made.

What do you mean there is nothing saying he’s white? He’s a white male fictional character. If you can change one you can change the other.

And the case for gender swapping is that it’s an iconic character which would do more for representation than creating a new character would.

8 minutes ago, john said:

What do you mean there is nothing saying he’s white? He’s a white male fictional character. If you can change one you can change the other.

I would say James Bond being Male is a much more intrinsic part of  HIS character than HIS race. 

So you agree the main case for doing it would be ideological rather than anything else.

11 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I would say James Bond being Male is a much more intrinsic part of  HIS character than HIS race. 

So you agree the main case for doing it would be ideological rather than anything else.

I’d say those are both cosmetic. Women can still drink and murder foreigners. If they made him not posh, that would be more of a change to his intrinsic character.

And sure, if open mindedness is an ideology, then that is the main reason it’s proposed.  It also of course gives you more opportunities in terms of casting, performance and storytelling.

10 minutes ago, john said:

I’d say those are both cosmetic. Women can still drink and murder foreigners. If they made him not posh, that would be more of a change to his intrinsic character.

And sure, if open mindedness is an ideology, then that is the main reason it’s proposed.  It also of course gives you more opportunities in terms of casting, performance and storytelling.

If you genuinely believe that changing James Bond into a female is merely ‘cosmetic’ or that somehow it’s a smaller change then making him less posh then.. wow.. I mean.. I simply can’t respond to that. 

32 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

If you genuinely believe that changing James Bond into a female is merely ‘cosmetic’ or that somehow it’s a smaller change then making him less posh then.. wow.. I mean.. I simply can’t respond to that. 

But you can respond to tell me you can’t respond? Got it.

Making an imperialist old-Etonian into a black man is already a significant change so I’m not sure why changing the gender is suddenly a step too far.

Archived