Bond 25: No Time To Die

Rhom

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48054674

Cast announcement and plot details. Happy to see Waller-Bridge being brought into it, hopefully she brings much needed revisions to the franchise’s depiction of women.

The cast looks great, as it always does. After Captain Marvel i’m especially happy to see LL in this. Rami Malek should be good too, and given his wishes not to be part of a problematic depiction of Middle Eastern persons after his early career, this gives me hope for a well thought out villain

12 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48054674

Cast announcement and plot details. Happy to see Waller-Bridge being brought into it, hopefully she brings much needed revisions to the franchise’s depiction of women.

Waller-Bridge should hopefully breathe a bit of life into franchise I think has managed to run out of steam again (maybe because Craig seems so tired of it). 

The 'depiction of women' and Bond's sexist past has been something that the franchise has been revising for 20 years. Bond has been depicted as a dinosaur from another time over and over again, with a series of strong women,  you have to wonder what else they would do that doesn't completely change his character.

9 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Have they said if Jeffrey Wright is playing Felix Leiter again?

Yes, its him that brings Bond out of retirement.

Re: Heartofice’s comment, i don’t much care if his character is totally changed. This isnt the 70’s anymore, why is a Bond that isnt a dinosaur so outlandish compared with all the other outlandish stuff in the movies?

Not to mention literally everything else has managed to evolve over time -MI6 (the entire plot of Skyfall and Spectre centred around the changing of the secret service), the CIA, the gadgets. Why not Bond’s attitude and behaviour towards women?

Just now, HelenaExMachina said:

Re: Heartofice’s comment, i don’t much care if his character is totally changed. This isnt the 70’s anymore, why is a Bond that isnt a dinosaur so outlandish compared with all the other outlandish stuff in the movies?

Not to mention literally everything else has managed to evolve over time -MI6 (the entire plot of Skyfall and Spectre centred around the changing of the secret service), the CIA, the gadgets. Why not Bond’s attitude and behaviour towards women?

Depends what kind of changes you are hoping for. IMO Bond as a character should be brash, slightly arrogant, a bit of a womaniser and a gambler, that is part of what makes him Bond.

I guess they could soften it but at some point a character no longer resembles the character. I'd say they were dangerously close to self parody with some of the films already.

It's a silly extreme for the sake of argument but if Bond was celibate and had zero confidence/charm around women then he'd be very different. Like i said softening it so he maybe isn't as bad as his worst case scenarios should be possible. Although i've no problem with Nond being portrayed as a monster/flawed human. Eg the mitchell and webb sketch  :)

I'd rather he was bisexual and still had a reckless attitude towards relationships/sex. It bugs me how female spies seem to seduce both sexes as part of their job while male spies stick to seducing women. Convenient for male fantasy fulfillment in the sense he's always bedding supermodels as part of the mission. I think they briefly hinted at it in Skyfall but then quickly retreated. That would be an interesting angle to the character having him seduce people he has no attraction to.

Also, they need to fire their marketing team. Who in their right mind announces news about their film on the day of the release of the biggest film in years? Unless They were announcing Bond was joining the MCU there is no good reason.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yes, its him that brings Bond out of retirement.

I had read that part of the announcement, but didn't recall seeing if Wright was still in the role.

I think there's a big difference between a suave and seductive secret agent who hooks up with other strong agents of the opposite sex and slapping Dink on the ass and telling her to "Run along.  Man talk."

Bond can still be the first and not lose what has been a key part of the character.

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I had read that part of the announcement, but didn't recall seeing if Wright was still in the role.

Its in the link i posted :lol:

Lea Seydoux is reprising her Madeleine Swann character from 2015's Spectre, while Jeffrey Wright is returning as ex-CIA agent Felix Leiter.

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Its in the link i posted :lol:

Ah!  Thanks, I had read the plot synopsis at a different site and didn't read your specific link.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

I think there's a big difference between a suave and seductive secret agent who hooks up with other strong agents of the opposite sex and slapping Dink on the ass and telling her to "Run along.  Man talk."

Bond can still be the first and not lose what has been a key part of the character.

I mean he hasn't been the ass slapping guy for a long time, and the movies have gone out of their way to highlight how Bonds behaviour is from another age. 

I don't think you could really push the character much further in another direction whilst still keeping what makes him Bond. There is still an element of wish fulfilment in the character as Red Snow mentioned, and I think thats important too.

One day we'll have a gender non-specific vegan James Bond, with a positive body image who turns down having sex with a lead because she had one-too-many white wine spritzers and it just wouldn;t be right, but he makes up for it by seducing a male terrorist at a rest stop in Istanbul.... he rescues the world without violence by appealing to the better nature of the bad guys, who, as it turns out weren't so different from us after all.... and then they all go out dancing to celebrate diversity, and peace in our time. 

• 2 months later...

TMZ says 007 is a black woman

Perhaps I should warn of spoilers in the above link.  :dunno:  I know how the politics of this board leans... but at the risk of not being woke.  I hate the idea presented above.  Bond is Bond.  If you want a different character... make a different character.  

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

TMZ says 007 is a black woman

Perhaps I should warn of spoilers in the above link.  :dunno:  I know how the politics of this board leans... but at the risk of not being woke.  I hate the idea presented above.  Bond is Bond.  If you want a different character... make a different character.  

From what I read she was just getting the number, not being James Bond. I don't know if its some elaborate trolling or not from the studio.

15 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

From what I read she was just getting the number, not being James Bond. I don't know if its some elaborate trolling or not from the studio.

And then continuing the role into future films. :stillsick:

If you want to try a spin-off... I’m in.  I think there was talk of doing that with Halle Berry’s character, but neither Jinx nor Die Another Day were popular enough to ever get traction.  But this doesn’t sound like they’d be taking Lynch and having a side series, TMZ makes it sound like she’d be the feature moving forward.  That’s a recipe for disaster in my book.

I would not be surprised if this report turns out to be correct.

Seems like exactly the sort of thing they would do right now.

Casting a woman, and a black woman at that, as the new Bond is also a great way to cause massive controversy.

4 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

I would not be surprised if this report turns out to be correct.

Seems like exactly the sort of thing they would do right now.

Casting a woman, and a black woman at that, as the new Bond is also a great way to cause massive controversy.

Because those female remakes always work out so well! 

15 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I mean what is the point of a Bond Movie without James Bond?

From reports I've read:

Spoiler

She has the 007 number after Bond has left the service.  So she's not Bond, they've just reallocated his number.

Just now, Mosi Mynn said:

From reports I've read:

Hide contents

She has the 007 number after Bond has left the service.  So she's not Bond, they've just reallocated his number.

Yeah that’s what I heard too. But the question is whether they bin off James Bond and reboot the franchise with her. It would be idiotic to do so I think, but likely.

Archived