Ser Desmond Grell/Ser Robin Ryger: Why did they join the Night's Watch?

Oakhearts head

So, I was flicking through AFFC last night and something stuck out to me.

Desmond Grell and Robin Ryger were two honorable, albeit elderly knights in service to Riverrun for many years. Grell was the Master-at-Arms while Ryger held the position of Captain of the Guards (Ryger was actually sent to re-capture Jaime Lannister and Brienne after he was set free). Both these two served Hoster Tully for many years and were loyal to Robb Stark and Catelyn Tully.

Which is why I am curious as to what would motivate these two to join the Night's Watch, inspite of Jaime Lannister pardoning the majority of the River lords.

You say I'm free to go, but where? I'm too old and too stout to make a hedge knight. But men are always welcome at the Wall.

Is GRRM setting these two up for a pivotal role in The Winds of Winter? Sending them to the Wall is peculiar. It could lead to nothing, but they are obvious allys for a resurrected Jon Snow.

What do you guys think?

There is a theory that the Blackfish knows about Robb's will, and is the random guy Theon sees at Winterfell as he goes north to find Jon and declare him the King in the North.

That being said, it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to set up a contingency plan, and send two trusted retainers to the Night's Watch in order to make sure the news makes it to Jon. These are uncertain times.

What I have found odd is that there has been no one sent to the Wall during the War of 5 Kings. Jamies offer to send the Blackfish there is the first such offer we see for all the series.

1 hour ago, 1000th Lord Commander said:

That being said, it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to set up a contingency plan, and send two trusted retainers to the Night's Watch in order to make sure the news makes it to Jon. These are uncertain times.

1 hour ago, dariopatke said:

Also I dont think ser Brynden is heading North, I think he wants to free Edmure and Jeyne, I cant wait prologue.

It would be hard for Brynden to head north as a fugitive. The distance is long and he has to figure out how to get past the Neck. Two men being sent off to the NW should be able to get through Moat Cailin and have a much easier journey.

4 hours ago, Michael Mertyns said:

It would be hard for Brynden to head north as a fugitive. The distance is long and he has to figure out how to get past the Neck. Two men being sent off to the NW should be able to get through Moat Cailin and have a much easier journey.

I have actually thought about then being messengers to Jon Snow, more likely they will go by ship to eastwatch. Faster way to get there and less risk to buried in snowstorm.

15 minutes ago, SerSilentBob said:

I don't think BlackFish sent them. He seems to not think much of Jon as he seems to have been influenced by Catelyn's opinion. 

Might be, but that opinion was for Jaime who Blackfish thinks is coldhearted backstabbing kingslayer without honor.

19 minutes ago, SerSilentBob said:

I don't think BlackFish sent them. He seems to not think much of Jon as he seems to have been influenced by Catelyn's opinion. 

He was, but he also met with Edmure who likely told this to him. If Robb, his King picked Jon, Brynden will obey it.

40 minutes ago, dariopatke said:

He was, but he also met with Edmure who likely told this to him. If Robb, his King picked Jon, Brynden will obey it.

This.

I was re-hearing the Brotherhood without Brothers Episode of Radio Westeros. They mention these two and how they know about Robb's will (via Edmure, who signed it).

3 minutes ago, Chris Mormont said:

I think you are looking too deep into their intent.  I think, as they say, they are old and the Night's Watch is an honorable way to live out their days.  Look at some of the other men their, like Donal Noyle and Joer Mormont, they felt the same way.

I will support this. Not everything needs to be drenched in conspiracy.

2 minutes ago, Chris Mormont said:

I think you are looking too deep into their intent.  I think, as they say, they are old and the Night's Watch is an honorable way to live out their days.  Look at some of the other men their, like Donal Noyle and Joer Mormont, they felt the same way.

But Jeor wasnt that old when he left and Donal may have been forced to take the black (maybe he ate his arm and Stannis made him take the black for it) and if he wasnt sent there I dont get why would famous smith in his prime (he was in his thirties) decide to take the black, he could have prospered greatly because he was smith of King and yet he travelled to the Wall.

But Jeor wasnt that old when he left and Donal may have been forced to take the black (maybe he ate his arm and Stannis made him take the black for it) and if he wasnt sent there I dont get why would famous smith in his prime (he was in his thirties) decide to take the black, he could have prospered greatly because he was smith of King and yet he travelled to the Wall.

Didn't Jeor left for Wall because of his shame from Jorah?

Didn't he lose his arm in the siege?

Archived