Bakker XLV: Optimal Tip-to-Tip Damnation (no TGO Spoilers)

lokisnow

19 hours ago, Happy Ent said:

amazon.de still has not shipped! I see their skin charred and blacked, blasted by damnation.

This is exactly why I ordered through Amazon.com and got my order quickly.

Amazon.de said "two to 4 weeks" for Great Ordeal on the day of release. That's apparently exactly what they are doing.

12 hours ago, Gasp of Many Reeds said:

It's Amazon, so they long ago lost their souls to win the world. Their soul's agonies shall be as wine to the Ciphrang Bezos.

If the population of customers drops below a certain number, the gates of scale of economies will close, leaving them howling...

For the record, I got my copy and a pretty accurate estimation is that The Great Ordeal is around 161k words.

That would make The Unholy Consult somewhere around 140k, to match the 300k we were given, the exact same size of The Thousandfold Thought.

This also matches the idea that The Unholy Consult would be some 400 pages + 200 pages of the extended glossary, since 400 pages in the format they use is indeed equal to 140k.

Still, it's a bit "small" last chunk, and hopefully it doesn't lose too much of the impact for having been split.

Btw, I went back a few pages and found out about this "Madness" mess and, yeah, he's so very likely lying. Besides, I followed most if not all the updates Bakker was giving along the years, sometimes buried in the comments of his blog, and the split in two was a very recent thing.

A good sign Madness is very likely lying is that I actually remembered I was discussing the SAME thing on those forums over there. Look at this:

http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=1362.msg16876#msg16876

"I definitely voiced the thought that it would benefit from being split up into two books."

"As far as I recall, TAE long ago was only going to be two books. I remember Bakker commenting following both publications of TJE and WLW and suggesting that in each case he had simply lined up the threads as best he could and chopped them off at what he thought were suitable cliffhangers. I suppose he'll manage something like that again, if he has too. It seems to have worked out for him so far, in my opinion."

So he was discussing, with Bakker, of the possibility of splitting ***TGO*** in two? What?!

Either he lies now or was lying in 2014 (why?). And when you have a guy who openly admits he's just trolling then it automatically means that EVERYTHING he says turns to ashes. He's not reliable. That's all.

That said, everything I remember reading from Bakker updates in the comments is that the book was written, and completed, as one book. Still, he worried it would be split. Was waiting for the publisher to come up with a plan. Eventually he reworked the manuscript and in the last few months he was busy again completing the glossary that would be in TUC, along with polishing the manuscript. It doesn't seem that TGO didn't go through any further editing after the publisher assigned him an editor.

Of course he still had to work on it to adapt it for the split to happen.

4 hours ago, Gormenghast said:

For the record, I got my copy and a pretty accurate estimation is that The Great Ordeal is around 161k words.

That would make The Unholy Consult somewhere around 140k, to match the 300k we were given, the exact same size of The Thousandfold Thought.

This also matches the idea that The Unholy Consult would be some 400 pages + 200 pages of the extended glossary, since 400 pages in the format they use is indeed equal to 140k.

Still, it's a bit "small" last chunk, and hopefully it doesn't lose too much of the impact for having been split.

RSB's writing 4 additional chapters, which could boost the word count significantly. 

9 hours ago, Gormenghast said:

I like your relating the word count to pages, that's appreciated.

I will add though that Scott said on SA forum in response to my question that he has since added 4 chapters to TUC. 4 chapters is usually around a 100 pages in Bakker books so it looks like it will be 500 pages plus the glossary.

On 26 July 2016 at 1:15 PM, Calibandar said:

This is exactly why I ordered through Amazon.com and got my order quickly.

Amazon.de said "two to 4 weeks" for Great Ordeal on the day of release. That's apparently exactly what they are doing.

FOR FUCK’S SAKE! Now they have changed the delivery date from today to 22 Aug—1 Sep.

HOW I HATE THIS WORLD!

I just looked at their site and it doesn't look available.

I would cancel that order HE, and re-order from amazon.com. If you can afford it have it shipped with super fast shipping, it's what I did. I received it within 48 hours, you probably would as well if you're in Germany.

48 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

If you can afford it have it shipped with super fast shipping, it's what I did. 

Thank you, that was a good suggestion. (Shipping costs twice the book. Ah, well.) 

US order placed, German order cancelled. The things we do for love.

I ordered my copy from Amazon late Sunday night with the expected delivery date July 29th- August 14th. I've been frantically refreshing the tracking info and it hasn't updated from "Package has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier" which was Monday. So frustrating, I fear the No God is behind it all

Archived