Bakker XLV: Optimal Tip-to-Tip Damnation (no TGO Spoilers)

lokisnow

4 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Didn't he just mention that he was still planning the third series in that GO feedback thread? He said sonething along the lines of "you may have already guessed the title."

I don't recall that (I probably missed it) but it's been known for a while that the title for the next series is a major spoiler.

I can't remember where Bakker said it though, but apparently there was (is?) two different directions the third series could take and Scott was, as of yet, unsure which he would be leaning more toward.  Maybe with TUC done he'll have a better idea which way he wants to take it.

35 minutes ago, .H. said:

I don't recall that (I probably missed it) but it's been known for a while that the title for the next series is a major spoiler.

I can't remember where Bakker said it though, but apparently there was (is?) two different directions the third series could take and Scott was, as of yet, unsure which he would be leaning more toward.  Maybe with TUC done he'll have a better idea which way he wants to take it.

Has anyone an idea of how likely it is that we get a third series? Or how big it probably will be? 

3 minutes ago, Arakan said:

Has anyone an idea of how likely it is that we get a third series? Or how big it probably will be? 

Bakker said that his initial idea was that it would be two books, but as TAE did, maybe it would end up bigger.

I think there is a really good chance we see it, but probably not for a number of years (my guess would be about 4-5).

22 hours ago, kuenjato said:

I think it will be called "the God of All", as it has nice symmetry with the first series and that's about what I can fathom of Kellhus's overall plan - to use the No-God technology to supplant the God, kick the 99 to the funnybook gutter, and thus rewrite the damnation-as-dinner rules once and for all.

The All-God!

To get rid of damnation...to make room for hyper damnation!

And JR is still alive!

Also the secret title is probably actually "THE ALL-CAPS GOD"

My guess, which while just a guess might be a spoiler so you're forewarned - is that Earwa is rather like the startrek episode 'Shoreleave', but the world machine, in trying to satisfy everyone's needs, goes batshit if there are more than 144,000 individuals accessing the planet.

Also on a side note there were probably more than 144,000 Inchoroi - wonder what the hell the plan was?

On 12/26/2016 at 1:39 PM, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

No, we know from passages throughout TAE, that the Great Ordeal becomes holy.

We also know that the people who were herding cattle became holy. Which...is never even remotely mentioned again, outside of TJE. The 'saga' of TGO is written by whom, exactly? To what end? Or is it just a flourish?

Keep in mind that Bakker also tends to lie about things instead of obfuscate, so it's quite possible that there are lies in the book as well. 

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:51 PM, Callan S. said:

And JR is still alive!

Also the secret title is probably actually "THE ALL-CAPS GOD"

My guess, which while just a guess might be a spoiler so you're forewarned - is that Earwa is rather like the startrek episode 'Shoreleave', but the world machine, in trying to satisfy everyone's needs, goes batshit if there are more than 144,000 individuals accessing the planet.

Also on a side note there were probably more than 144,000 Inchoroi - wonder what the hell the plan was?

Interesting you bring up Shore Leave.  I just saw on the official Star Trek Facebook page that the episode debuted 50 years ago today.

On 12/29/2016 at 1:46 AM, Kalbear said:

We also know that the people who were herding cattle became holy. Which...is never even remotely mentioned again, outside of TJE. The 'saga' of TGO is written by whom, exactly? To what end? Or is it just a flourish?

Keep in mind that Bakker also tends to lie about things instead of obfuscate, so it's quite possible that there are lies in the book as well. 

Yeah, he's created several venues for that between the excerpts that start each chapter, the What Came Before section that clearly has false info, Akka's fucked up dreams, and the TTT glossary which I believe Bakker described as being cobbled together from various unnamed historians over a period of time.  Might be wrong on that last one but there are plenty of opportunities in the structure of the text for him to lie about stuff.  Which I think is actually kind of great, in the whole.

Hey guys,

If you follow Bakker's blog you know that his Christmas was pretty shitty (no pun intended). Anyway, he responded to an email I sent last week to wish me Happy Holidays yesterday and he asked if I was interested in a TUC extract. Of course I said, "hell yeah!"

Now, I'm waiting to hear back from him. I have no idea if he was thinking long term, or if we'll get a teaser some time soon. Keep your fingers crossed! :)

On 12/31/2016 at 0:14 PM, Lord Patrek said:

Hey guys,

If you follow Bakker's blog you know that his Christmas was pretty shitty (no pun intended). Anyway, he responded to an email I sent last week to wish me Happy Holidays yesterday and he asked if I was interested in a TUC extract. Of course I said, "hell yeah!"

Now, I'm waiting to hear back from him. I have no idea if he was thinking long term, or if we'll get a teaser some time soon. Keep your fingers crossed! :)

Have not followed his blog... what made his Christmas so shitty?

On 1/1/2017 at 4:14 AM, Lord Patrek said:

Hey guys,

What e-mail is that?

Things we wished we would have asked Bakker when he appeared here that he might have answered i.e not what happens at the end of the series:

1. What is Chanv? Is it toasted nonman or something else?

2. If the non-men can breed successfully with humans, as is described, why turn to en-masse homosexuality after the womb-plague hit (or am I interpreting that wrong)? Is it only male human to female non-man that can result in successful progeny? It's not like they didn't abuse the Halaroi in other ways!

3. Is the Anagogis something new that appeared post-apocalypse or did it exist before, coincidentally with the Gnosis?

4. Is the Mandate the Sohonc, or was Seswatha the only link between the schools?

5. Is the No-God sentient? (long-shot)

6. Will we ever be told what happened in the conversation that seems to have happened between Kelhus and Seswatha where he apparently got Seswatha's permission to be taught the Gnosis by Akka 

Looking forward to the extended glossary or whatever we are calling it that is due with TUC. 

Archived