Names: My newspaper column: now featuring The Old Man and the most famous spouse of witch

Ormond

On 2/11/2017 at 10:14 PM, Baitac said:

My Grandma Isabel was a very proper lady. She named my Aunt after Vivien Leigh. My Mom's name is Beatriz, a Queen's name. I miss my Grandma and Mom. Thank you for the clarification. :)

I just have to say that I heart that you have an Aunt named Vivien.  We went back and forth on the spelling of my daughter's name (including the French Vivienne) and landed on Vivian because we liked the way the letters looked a little better.  But Vivien Leigh was definitely an inspiration for us.

12 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I just have to say that I heart that you have an Aunt named Vivien.  We went back and forth on the spelling of my daughter's name (including the French Vivienne) and landed on Vivian because we liked the way the letters looked a little better.  But Vivien Leigh was definitely an inspiration for us.

And little Miss Vivi is worthy of her name! <3

On 2/28/2017 at 10:18 PM, Baitac said:

Hi Ormond! Is there a way for me to search your articles by names? :)

There isn't any way to specifically search just my columns on the World Herald site. You can try searching for "Cleveland Evans" along with the specific name, but I think even their archives only give you access to the past two years.

On 3/2/2017 at 9:55 AM, Ormond said:

There isn't any way to specifically search just my columns on the World Herald site. You can try searching for "Cleveland Evans" along with the specific name, but I think even their archives only give you access to the past two years.

Thank you for the information. I'm going to check the World Herald site. I wasn't aware of it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the link to today's column. Evidently Ralph Waldo Emerson's family thought they must be descended from Peter Waldo. They can't be directly descended from him, because he only had daughters, and there is no evidence that they are descended from Waldensian immigrants to England. The farthest back the family has been traced so far is to Thomas Waldo, who lived in the town of Mitcham in Surrey, England in the late 1500s. There is a street called Waldo Place in Mitcham today.

http://www.omaha.com/living/evans-you-can-find-waldo-if-you-look-hard-enough/article_481877ee-8f1f-506d-9af3-8d3831516567.html

• 2 weeks later...

North of Gainesville, Florida, (where I used to live,)  is the small city of Waldo. According to the National Motorists Association's 2012 report, Waldo was ranked third in its list of "Worst Speed Trap Cities" in North America. We all ew about Waldo!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-town-infamous-for-speed-traps-disbanding-police-force/

The "Living" section of the Omaha World-Herald has a new editor. He forgot to put my column in the paper yesterday so it's in there today instead. Two weeks from now it should be back on Tuesdays. 

http://www.omaha.com/living/evans-the-names-teresa-and-theresa-get-a-boost-from/article_2726a0bf-6350-5d42-8468-76693bfd822a.html

That's quite spooky. I saw you'd posted and immediately said, I wonder if the column will be about Theresa in honour of Brexit Day! Then wondered what the Hell had made me me say that when no-one else in the world cares, but sure enough, some coincidence!

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:35 PM, Hereward said:

That's quite spooky. I saw you'd posted and immediately said, I wonder if the column will be about Theresa in honour of Brexit Day! Then wondered what the Hell had made me me say that when no-one else in the world cares, but sure enough, some coincidence!

Yes, it was a complete coincidence! I was paying no attention at all to "Brexit Day" and the column was written because Tuesday, the day it was originally scheduled to be published, was the 502nd anniversary of the birth of Teresa de Avila.

I really liked this one. I had no idea that Tracy came from Theresa. It makes complete sense. We almost always call Teresas Tere as, at least in PR , we like to use nicknames, diminutives, and shortening of names as a show of affection. Also, when combined, María Teresa is pronounced with a soft accent on the Ma rather than a stronger one on the ía. It flows nicely that way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the link to today's column. I was surprised to learn that Judith Anderson as well as Judy Garland was named "Frances" at birth. The Judys on "The Jetsons" and "Lost in Space" are an interesting phenomenon -- often TV gives characters names that are "too young" for them, with adult characters being given names that are mostly names of babies at the time the show is created. Here we have two teenage girls given a name which was actually very typical for teenage American girls at the time -- and yet the shows are set in the future, when the name may be anachronistic for a teenager.

http://www.omaha.com/living/evans-name-judith-personified-justice-back-in-medieval-times/article_841b32be-2502-54a5-b0a6-dbd2b211a9c7.html

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the link to today's column. When Googling information for this one I discovered there are several cities in the USA that are holding jazz concerts today in honor of Ms. Fitzgerald's 100th birthday.

http://www.omaha.com/living/evans-enchanting-ella-traces-history-to-english-nobles/article_e0b3effb-54db-541e-9c57-ab951cd7f0f4.html

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the link to today's column. Some other things I learned while writing it: The Greeks in the 1st century called all of eastern Africa south of Egypt "Ethiopia", so there is a good chance the eunuch mentioned in the Bible was really from Kush, not today's nation of Ethiopia. The "silliness" of the film "Meet the Stewarts" is that Candace is the daughter of a wealthy family while her new husband comes from a working class background. She was never taught how to cook or do... anything else domestic and much of the comedy in the film comes from her failing at her "wifely duties." Later her husband hires a servant for her, who also turns out to be very inept -- the servant is played by Margaret Hamilton, the Wicked Witch of the West in the classic "Wizard of Oz" film. The film was based on a short story that had appeared in "Ladies Home Journal". In the story the wife is Candace, but the husband is Bill instead of Mike. 1f642.png:)     

http://www.omaha.com/living/evans-candace-from-biblical-queen-to-hollywood-star/article_e1f63487-26c9-5f23-9da9-222307c95bdd.html

• 2 weeks later...

Ahaha! Kylo. I'm partial to Michael and James as I have one of each. On a different note, I am watching American Gods on tv. One of its characters' names is Bilquis. My father's first girlfriend's name was Belkis, same name. I just found out that Bilkis was the Queen of Sheba. Do you have any details about this name and its origin?

The name of the Queen of Sheba is not given in the Bible. Bilqis (which also turns up as Balquis, Balkis, Belkis, and Bilkis) is a name originally assigned to her in Islamic commentaries on the story. It is not sure where it comes from, but it may be an "Arabized" version of a Hebrew word meaning "concubine."

Here is the link to today's column:

http://www.omaha.com/living/evans-lion-s-share-of-daniel-s-cachet-is-thanks/article_84941b56-5e85-5ee1-960c-8252f1c85b2d.html

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.omaha.com/living/evans-nicole-popularized-by-films-france-fitzgerald/article_9a970fda-9574-5fb4-9f07-c6db650c8df1.html

Above is the link to today's column. 

One of the most mysterious things about name fashions to me is the Nicola/Nicole contrast between Britain and the USA. Nicola actually became popular in England about a decade before Nicole really hit it big in the USA. But Nicola is very rare in America. One of the most reliable guesses you can have on the basis of a name alone is that if you meet a female Nicola she was born in the UK (or perhaps Ireland.) Also, I wish I had space to discuss Nikki in the column. Nikki actually came BEFORE Nicole in the USA as a baby name -- partly because of a character originally introduced on the Ellery Queen radio program who later was in several Ellery Queen movies.