Was Robert Baratheon physically the strongest of his time?

mystickristoff

2 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

No. Robert was way outmatched in the strength department by the likes of the Greatjon.

The Hound, Andrik, the Mountain etc. are all much larger than Robert, but might still have been a bit young back during the Rebellion.

Proofs for Andrik ? The Hound is only few inches taller. The ony one stronger than Robert was the Mountain and maybe the Greatjon.

3 minutes ago, Kal-L said:

Proofs for Andrik ? The Hound is only few inches taller. The ony one stronger than Robert was the Mountain and maybe the Greatjon.

Hound was only two inches taller than Robert, with no proof of him having greater strength. Andrik is at Greatjon size.

34 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

No. Robert was way outmatched in the strength department by the likes of the Greatjon.

The Hound, Andrik, the Mountain etc. are all much larger than Robert, but might still have been a bit young back during the Rebellion.

The Mountain certainly wasn't too young, considering his significant involvement in the Sack.

Taking what we can assume were some of the biggest/strongest men in Westeros in the Rebellion, I'd say the Mountain and the GreatJon are the two strongest men in Westeros at the time. Robert, the Hound and maybe Andrik are a step below. Yohn Royce, Gerold Hightower and other Umbers like Crowfood and Whoresbane are a step below Robert etc.

Of course there are others, like Tarly, who may be strong enough to be considered and the Crakehall's, but the list above was just a few examples.

i would say that robert is tied with the hound, but since he killed rhaegar, we can assume that robert was far more skilled in combat and not just a brute, a young rebellion robert would win against the mountain imo, one of the few weapons tat can really hurt a hull armored knight like gregor is the  war hammer, and for the accounts of ned, roberts war hammmer was really heavy to the point ned was not even able to lift it.

9 hours ago, mystickristoff said:

Not skill but based on just physical strength, was he the strongest? Stronger than The Mountain or Big Jon Umber? Excluding giants like Wun Wun or Mag.. or The Others of course.

Gotta put Hodor in this conversation too, I think.

9 hours ago, mystickristoff said:

So he's about The Hound tier in terms of just physical strength then? The Hound is weaker than The Mountain, physically right?

Oh yes, the Mountain is bigger and stronger than the Hound, no question.

Robert was really strong, though, no doubt.

I seem to recall a passage in the books saying Robert's war hammer was so big and heavy that most men couldn't hope to wield it at all, or something like that (shades of Thor)

59 minutes ago, Cron said:

No way to tell who was stronger, in my opinion.

Agreed, we probably don't have enough data to compare. 

Do we have any knowledge of why the Cleganes are so big and strong in the current generation? I don't recall for instance Gregor's father being described as near his size. 

Archived