Westeros Defense Fantasy Football.

Howdyphillip

We still have another 20 days until the 1st of August, which is when the fantasy football season starts to roll around in full here. I will not be adding people until then, but I spent some time today setting up a unique league and I'm calling it Westeros Defense. It will be a 10 person league. No offensive players will score in this league. All of the scoring will take place between 3 drafted team defenses, and a roster of defensive players. The rosters will look like this...

DEF, DEF, DEF, DB, DB, DL, DL, LB, LB, DT, DT, DE, DE, CB, CB, S, S, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR

Scoring will take place as follows...

Defense/Special Teams League Value Yahoo Default Value
Sack 2 1
Interception 2  
Fumble Recovery 2  
Touchdown 6  
Safety 6 2
Block Kick 4 2
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns 6  
Points Allowed 0 points 10  
Points Allowed 1-6 points 7  
Points Allowed 7-13 points 4  
Points Allowed 14-20 points 1  
Points Allowed 21-27 points 0  
Points Allowed 28-34 points -1  
Points Allowed 35+ points -4  
4th Down Stops 2 0
Tackles for Loss 1 0
Defensive Yards Allowed - Negative 10 0
Defensive Yards Allowed 0-99 7 0
Defensive Yards Allowed 100-199 4 0
Defensive Yards Allowed 200-299 1 0
Defensive Yards Allowed 300-399 0  
Defensive Yards Allowed 400-499 -1 0
Defensive Yards Allowed 500+ -4 0
Three and Outs Forced 2 0
Extra Point Returned 6 2
Defensive Players League Value Yahoo Default Value
Tackle Solo 1  
Tackle Assist 0.5  
Sack 2  
Interception 4 3
Fumble Force 2  
Fumble Recovery 4 2
Defensive Touchdown 6  
Safety 6 2
Pass Defended 1  
Block Kick 6 2
Tackles for Loss 1 0
Turnover Return Yards 10 yards per point 0
Extra Point Returned 6 2

This is something new and exiting for me, as I have never played with a defensive roster. If this is successful, in the future, maybe we can open up a league that will include all players from offense and defense. Let me know if you are interested in this, and on the 1st, I will be going through a two week invitation process to gather as many people as possible for all of the leagues.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are 6 committed to playing at this point and we need four more. I am going through a surgery tomorrow, and will be out of sorts for a little while. I have sent requests to players from Thunderdome to see if they are interested. If you are, fine, if not feel free to ignore the request.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This league has been remarkably fun for me this year. I was a little worried about it at first, but all it really takes is to do a quick set of the lineup on Thursday before the game, and Sunday morning and then checking out the matchups. To be able to root for or against guys on the defense has added a new element to my fantasy football watch.

I wish that everyone in the league would actively participate, but as commissioner, I have decided to play the season out this way instead of making the inactive teams more active. I think that gives all of us who are playing a level competitive edge. 

On 10/13/2016 at 9:08 PM, Pony Queen Jace said:

For my part, I think it was a great idea but the lineup really confuses me and I've went in on multiple occasions to make moves but given up because of the positions.

I am not quite sure why the lineup is giving you issues. I know you know the positions on the defense. The only partly tricky part is the DL and DB positions. The DL stands for defensive line which means you can use either an DE or a DT.  The DB is the defensive backs and can be filled by S or CB. 

In other news,  I lost a really tight game to Trees this week. I lost by less than one point.  I want my revenge.  Hope to see you again in the playoffs. 

9 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

But there's also stuff that says DT, DE, ILB all at the same time and I can't seem to slot one guy in without a different starter getting pulled. It's probably just me.

If the guy is listed in any other position besides BN (for bench), you are moving him from an active position. The only confusion comes is when you need to fill say a DE spot. If you have a DE on the DL spot, but none on the bench, you might want to move him and place a DT that you have on the bench in the newly opened DL spot. 

It really isn't that complicated... As far as LB, it doesn't matter at all if someone plays ILB, OLB, or MLB, they all fill only the LB slot.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Breakers aren't really doing that much breaking, matter of fact I just broke .500, but I have to say I am enjoying this league so far.

Howdy going into next season, if you are so inclined, I have a suggestion for the lineups. Do away with the DB and DL slots and throw in 4 extra LB, it seems to me that position can produce offense type scoring.

• 1 month later...

I am definitely going to restrict the Dline next year and add LB's. four might be too many though as I am a big believer in the ability to effectively use the waiver wire.

This has been a fun year. We are going into the final week before the playoffs, and the only way I do not make it is if I lose and Lee's team beats me by 80 points. I have a good cushion here. The 4th place team looks like it will be coming down to points. We have a pretty good ending of the season coming up here. 

Archived