The 4 dragonriders

Eldric Stark

Drogon is clearly ridden by dany and she will ride the dragon throughout the books. 

Viserion is white and gold. The only thing written on its wiki of ice and fire page is that it's roar will send 1000 lions running. 

I am a believer of a+j=t. The woiaf has all but confirmed this theory, since aerys ii visits casterly rock a year before Tyrion is born. Aerys and tywin have a very complex relationship, there is a long detailed explanation of this in woiaf. Aerys impregnating Joanna would make sense because of the animosity between the two men. This means that Tyrions name is Tyrion hill and he is a Great Bastard of house targaryen. In the Princess and the Queen, we learn that these bastards are called dragonseeds, and a call was made for these bastards to try to ride dragons.

Tyrion being aerys son would explain why tywin doesn't want him to inherit casterly Rock and why he was sentencing him to death. It explains a lot of tywins heinous actions actually (like betraying aerys). Tyrion won't be guilty of kinslaying since tywin is not his father.

In 272 AC, tywin hosted a tourney celebrating the tenth year of aerys reign. Lady Joanna returned to court then. Tyrion was born in 273 AC.

this is likely the only time aerys or tywin saw Joanna 9 months before tyrions birth

tyrion is also stunted and twisted like many targaryen babes

tyrion wants revenge on cersei, a lioness. What better way to do that with a dragon is somehow known for being able to send a 1000 lions running? Tyrion loves dragons and wants to ride one when he is young. He dreams of dragons and reads about them. Viserion is white and gold, representing tyrions Lannister roots (Joanna) and upbringing. 

Tyrion rides viserion.

this next one might be a little tougher to handle. 

There is a dragonfly among the reeds.

Rhaegal is green and black and actually known for its (relative) friendliness, as it lands on brown Ben plumms shoulder. 

In one of the dunc and egg tales, dunc notices a dragonfly among the reeds. I did not discover this but I am a believer in this theory. Prince Duncan renounces the crown to marry Jenny of oldstones. Jenny brings a woods witch/child of the forest to court and is the first to tell jaehaerys or anyone about the prince that was promised prophecy. 

When Prince Duncan renounces the crown, he becomes the prince of dragonflies. Duncan the tall notices a dragonfly among the REEDS. I beleive Jenny of oldstones was a Reed or her child with Duncan married a Reed. How would Duncan get the nickname dragonflies? Dragonflies are likely to be around where the reeds live, at grey water watch. The reeds are also probably more likely to be familiar with woods witches/children of the forest then any other family in westeros, as Jenny of oldstones is. 

I believe grrm has deliberately left either Jenny and Duncan's children unnamed and without details OR Jenny's ancestry vague to not reveal this yet.

Meera, jojen, and howland have targaryen blood and could be considered dragonseeds. The targ blood would also slightly explain jojens green-seeing abilities. 

Meera is a good hunter and respects the old gods and nature in general. She has expressed her desire to fight the war and wants to leave the cave. 

I don't think meera would be afraid of a dragon and would treat it kindly. I can see rhaegal liking her.

Rhaegal is green, the house Reed colors. The green is described as the color of moss in the deep woods!!

Meera rides rhaegal

Our 4th and final dragonrider is Jon Snow, whose song is that of ice and fire. 

Grrm has a short story and children's book called the ice dragon, and it is not specific whether or not it is in the song of ice and fire universe.

in a world of ice and fire, it says there are ice dragons. It says it

The World of Ice and Fire - Beyond the Free Cities: The Shivering Sea 

They tell of pale blue mists that move across the waters, mists so cold that any ship they pass over is frozen instantly; of drowned spirits who rise at night to drag the living down into the grey-green depths; of mermaids pale of flesh with black-scaled tails, far more malign than their sisters of the south.
Of all the queer and fabulous denizens of the Shivering Sea, however, the greatest are the ice dragons. These colossal beasts, many times larger than the dragons of Valyria, are said to be made of living ice, with eyes of pale blue crystal and vast translucent wings through which the moon and stars can be glimpsed as they wheel across the sky. Whereas common dragons(if any dragon can truly be said to be common) breathe flame, ice dragonssupposedly breathe cold, a chill so terrible that it can freeze a man solid in half a heartbeat. 
Sailors from half a hundred nations have glimpsed these great beasts over the centuries, so mayhaps there is some truth behind the tales. Archmaester Margate has suggested that many legends of the north—freezing mists, ice ships, Cannibal Bay, and the like—can be explained as distorted reports of ice-dragon activity. Though an amusing notion, and not without a certain elegance, this remains the purest conjecture. As ice dragons supposedly melt when slain, no actual proof of their existence has ever been found.

the starks used a weapon before they forged a valyrian steel sword called ice, and I beleive it is an ice dragon named Ice. Catelyn thinks this and it is confirmed on the wiki of ice and fire.

Jon contantly thinks of ice dragons when thinking about how cold it is. Jon thinks of interesting comparisons of the world around him and ice dragon attributes. He's the only one who does. 

Jon rides Ice. 

Bran may help meera and Jon through warging also because why wouldn't he.

if you like this post check out my last one and I have more to come

Nice post! Great thoughts, however, I'm not sure how much Targaryen blood has to do with green seeing abilitys. 

Greenseers/warging is a by-product of the children of the forest and seems to me would be a part of the first men the blood that ran through their veins and their offsprings. 

Now Targaryen lineage has an effect on dragons. They are originally from Valyria where the great houses lived and road dragons(I'm sure u know this).

Your ice dragon/Jon theory is interesting although it has to be freezing cold for the dragon to show up. Now winter is finally here so there is a possibility for an ice dragon from the far far north to show up. But wouldn't Jon freeze his ass to death while riding a beast like that? I forgot the name of the girl in the ice dragon story but she was a cold child. She had an unnatural ability to withstand fridged tempetures.

Now Jon dose have Targ blood so I guess it is a possibility.

However I don't think there's any chance that Aerys is Tryions father. Areys went with Tywin in 267ac to the Rock following the passing of Tywins father.they returned to Kings Landing in 268ac. Tryion wasn't born untill 273ac 5 years after Areys left the rock. So if any coupling happened it produced nothing. And wouldn't Joanna Lannister partake in monon tea after something like that?

I always thought Tywin wouldn't give Tryion the Rock because it belonged to Jamie. He say as much to Tryion after the battle of the blackwater wen Tryion went to see his father in his old chambers(tower of the hand). Also because tywin didn't want him turning the Rock into his own personel whor house. Also because he killed his mother.

Danny deffinitly on DrogoN. As far as the other two im not sure but I think Jon will be a rider and Aegon will be the third. If there is an ice dragon Jon would ride that. 

It is possible that one of the dragons could die leavening only two of course or possible be stolen by Victarion or Euron. 

I was thinking Rhaegal will be Jon's to ride since its based on his father (L+R=J) name.

BTW which one is the biggest - Rhaegal or Viserion?

I don't remember that Duncan the Small and Jenny of Oldstones had any children, they died childless I believe. Jenny might have been from Reed's bloodline but I don't think any Targ blood went into them enough to ride the dragon short of warging it.

Yes there are Ice Dragons but I don't think they are any good. Basically, Dragons are nuclear weapons against the Others, who technically should have no chance against them. So the only way for the Others to have a fair fight is to have their own dragon, bigger and older than Dany's dragons and that would be the Ice Dragon.

My theory is, that if the Ice Dragon makes an actual appearance in the books, it would be the Others (Night's King perhaps) riding him

13 hours ago, Lrd Commander Midnight said:

Nice post! Great thoughts, however, I'm not sure how much Targaryen blood has to do with green seeing abilitys. 

Greenseers/warging is a by-product of the children of the forest and seems to me would be a part of the first men the blood that ran through their veins and their offsprings. 

Now Targaryen lineage has an effect on dragons. They are originally from Valyria where the great houses lived and road dragons(I'm sure u know this).

Your ice dragon/Jon theory is interesting although it has to be freezing cold for the dragon to show up. Now winter is finally here so there is a possibility for an ice dragon from the far far north to show up. But wouldn't Jon freeze his ass to death while riding a beast like that? I forgot the name of the girl in the ice dragon story but she was a cold child. She had an unnatural ability to withstand fridged tempetures.

Now Jon dose have Targ blood so I guess it is a possibility.

However I don't think there's any chance that Aerys is Tryions father. Areys went with Tywin in 267ac to the Rock following the passing of Tywins father.they returned to Kings Landing in 268ac. Tryion wasn't born untill 273ac 5 years after Areys left the rock. So if any coupling happened it produced nothing. And wouldn't Joanna Lannister partake in monon tea after something like that?

I always thought Tywin wouldn't give Tryion the Rock because it belonged to Jamie. He say as much to Tryion after the battle of the blackwater wen Tryion went to see his father in his old chambers(tower of the hand). Also because tywin didn't want him turning the Rock into his own personel whor house. Also because he killed his mother.

Danny deffinitly on DrogoN. As far as the other two im not sure but I think Jon will be a rider and Aegon will be the third. If there is an ice dragon Jon would ride that. 

It is possible that one of the dragons could die leavening only two of course or possible be stolen by Victarion or Euron. 

In 272 AC, tywin hosted a tourney celebrating the tenth year of aerys reign. Lady Joanna returned to court then. Tyrion was born in 273 AC.

this is likely the only time aerys or tywin saw Joanna 9 months before tyrions birth

5 hours ago, Eldric Stark said:

Yes, but those Targ babies were ALL stillborn. And their deformities weren't basically dwarfism, which although abnormal is still very naturally occurring,  it was more on  mutant dragon features stuff that were clearly result of some magic or influence of dragons, take your pick.

18 hours ago, Lrd Commander Midnight said:

And wouldn't Joanna Lannister partake in moon tea after something like that?

A perfectly valid question.

I'm open to but not a believer of A+J=T. It intrigues me and I have considered things like this from the perspective of 'what if?' scenarios. The only way I can explain the reasoning for not taking moon tea is if Tywin was impotent, which would mean none of Tywin's brood are his. That Cersei and Jaime have certain Targaryen characteristics is obvious. I'd also mention that 6 years between the births of the twins and Tyrion seems a long stretch for Westeros but that can explained by the work of dealing with the twins. Although, the twins came a whole three years after their wedding.

7 hours ago, Masha said:

So the only way for the Others to have a fair fight is to have their own dragon, bigger and older than Dany's dragons and that would be the Ice Dragon.

My theory is, that if the Ice Dragon makes an actual appearance in the books, it would be the Others (Night's King perhaps) riding him

I have had these same thoughts.

Drogon: Dany - check

Viserion: Tyrion - check
But: I don't think that Tyrion is the son of Aerys. I grant you, there are some hints to it, but there are also some points which speak against it, like it would make the relation between Tywin and Tyrion much less powerful (and I don't think that there will be an explicit confirmation in one or the other direction).
but why Tyrion? his fascination for dragons from a young age is clearly a hint by GRRM. and I, therefore, don't think that Targaryen-bood is necessary to ride a dragon.

Rhaegal: Euron will summon a dragon with the horn (blown by Victarion) - and he will ride him. But Dany will later (after dealing with Aegon and his Dornish allies) kill Euron.
after flying North to Winterfell he will meet Jon who will then claim Rhaegal.

and then all three will fly north to the Heart of Winter and fight and succeed against the Others and the source of evil. but all three dragons will also die on this mission.

bittersweet.

PS. however, it could be a problem, if Rhaegal is also killed by Dany and Drogon when they overcome Euron. In this case, the story lacks a dragon for Jon. 2 possibilities:
- Tyrion never rides a dragon, and Viserion arrives in Westeros without a dragon.
- a dragon hatches from the eggs that lie somewhere in the crypt of Winterfell - this one would be Jon's then (with the problem that he couldn't ride it because it would still be too small)

One clarification though

You don't need Targaryen blood to ride a Dragon. You need Valyrian blood to ride a dragon. And we don't know exactly how many bastards the Targaryen kings or princes have made. For all we know, Davos, is a bastard and has Valyrian Blood in his veins (Taking Davos as example, since we know he is born in Flea Bottom and thus is more likely to have Valyrian Blood than for example Euron Greyjoy). Thus he can also be a Dragon Rider. 

On 7/14/2016 at 8:06 AM, Túrin the Turambar said:

Drogon: Dany - check

Viserion: Tyrion - check
But: I don't think that Tyrion is the son of Aerys. I grant you, there are some hints to it, but there are also some points which speak against it, like it would make the relation between Tywin and Tyrion much less powerful (and I don't think that there will be an explicit confirmation in one or the other direction).
but why Tyrion? his fascination for dragons from a young age is clearly a hint by GRRM. and I, therefore, don't think that Targaryen-bood is necessary to ride a dragon.

Rhaegal: Euron will summon a dragon with the horn (blown by Victarion) - and he will ride him. But Dany will later (after dealing with Aegon and his Dornish allies) kill Euron.
after flying North to Winterfell he will meet Jon who will then claim Rhaegal.

and then all three will fly north to the Heart of Winter and fight and succeed against the Others and the source of evil. but all three dragons will also die on this mission.

bittersweet.

PS. however, it could be a problem, if Rhaegal is also killed by Dany and Drogon when they overcome Euron. In this case, the story lacks a dragon for Jon. 2 possibilities:
- Tyrion never rides a dragon, and Viserion arrives in Westeros without a dragon.
- a dragon hatches from the eggs that lie somewhere in the crypt of Winterfell - this one would be Jon's then (with the problem that he couldn't ride it because it would still be too small)

Curious why are you putting: Viserion: Tyrion as check? As far as ALL of us know, only Dragon: Dany qualifies as check.

Its not confirmed that Tyrion has Targ blood, he hasn't even been near Viserion or any dragon to be friendly with him. So far, Tyrion as Dragonrider let along to Viserion (why not Rhaegal?), is as much speculation as Victarion or Euron succeeding in stealing Dany's dragons (and not failing dismally), or Jon riding Rhaegal or Viserion or Ice Dragon, or Ben Plumm riding a dragon (unlike Tyrion, he met dragons and they like him)

1 minute ago, Masha said:

Curious why are you putting: Viserion: Tyrion as check? As far as ALL of us know, only Dragon: Dany qualifies as check.

Its not confirmed that Tyrion has Targ blood, he hasn't even been near Viserion or any dragon to be friendly with him. So far, Tyrion as Dragonrider let along to Viserion (why not Rhaegal?), is as much speculation as Victarion or Euron succeeding in stealing Dany's dragons (and not failing dismally), or Jon riding Rhaegal or Viserion or Ice Dragon, or Ben Plumm riding a dragon (unlike Tyrion, he met dragons and they like him)

with "check" I meant "I agree", not "it's a fact" - sorry if that was misleadingly.

why Viserion and not Rhaegal? Viserion fits better in terms of color :) - but of course it could also be Rhaegal

I think that Moqorro will try to warn Victarion, but he is so dumb that he doesn't understand that he is just a puppet of Euron who plays him from behind with his tentacles.

I don't believe in Ice dragons ;)

and I think that Plumm is a too minor character to ride a dragon...

18 minutes ago, Túrin the Turambar said:

with "check" I meant "I agree", not "it's a fact" - sorry if that was misleadingly.

why Viserion and not Rhaegal? Viserion fits better in terms of color :) - but of course it could also be Rhaegal

I think that Moqorro will try to warn Victarion, but he is so dumb that he doesn't understand that he is just a puppet of Euron who plays him from behind with his tentacles.

I don't believe in Ice dragons ;)

and I think that Plumm is a too minor character to ride a dragon...

I was giving examples of theories which are as good as theories of Tyrion actually getting to ride a dragon. I was just wondering why you are confirming Tyrion with Viserion since its just a theory not a fact.

Dragons made of stone seem destined to show up,could one of the old dragons be hibernating under Winterfells crypts?Remember one of the direwolves,Summer IIRC,saw a fiying snake take off from Winterfell.Its been a while since I read it and don`t recall details.A grown dragon for Jon would be a equalizer for sure.I really expect him to end up on Rhaegal,though,if he rides a dragon at all.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:05 AM, Eldric Stark said:

Rhaegal is green and black and actually known for its (relative) friendliness, as it lands on brown Ben plumms shoulder. 

It is Viserion is the one who lands on Ben Plumm's shoulder not Rhaegal.

As for who the Dragon riders will be. Dany of course (already happened), Jon will ride Rhaegal. Viserion is the toughest of the trio to figure out who his rider will be. I think it will be Tyrion, but I am not sure. I mean there is the forshadowing:

Spoiler

Tyrion picking up the Ivory Dragon Cyvasse piece that he picks up during the battle for Meereen.

But part of me thinks that (f)Aegon will ride one of the dragons even if it is for a very short period of time.

On July 13, 2016 at 6:35 PM, zalim said:

there are no ice dragons

ice dragons are just myth....

i believe danny will lose 2 of her dragons to other powers in westeros and dorne might be one of them...

12 hours ago, JJ Lannister said:

No ice dragons

The World of Ice and Fire - Beyond the Free Cities: The Shivering Sea 

They tell of pale blue mists that move across the waters, mists so cold that any ship they pass over is frozen instantly; of drowned spirits who rise at night to drag the living down into the grey-green depths; of mermaids pale of flesh with black-scaled tails, far more malign than their sisters of the south.
Of all the queer and fabulous denizens of the Shivering Sea, however, the greatest are the ice dragons. These colossal beasts, many times larger than the dragons of Valyria, are said to be made of living ice, with eyes of pale blue crystal and vast translucent wings through which the moon and stars can be glimpsed as they wheel across the sky. Whereas common dragons(if any dragon can truly be said to be common) breathe flame, ice dragonssupposedly breathe cold, a chill so terrible that it can freeze a man solid in half a heartbeat. 
Sailors from half a hundred nations have glimpsed these great beasts over the centuries, so mayhaps there is some truth behind the tales. Archmaester Margate has suggested that many legends of the north—freezing mists, ice ships, Cannibal Bay, and the like—can be explained as distorted reports of ice-dragon activity. Though an amusing notion, and not without a certain elegance, this remains the purest conjecture. As ice dragons supposedly melt when slain, no actual proof of their existence has ever been found.

On 7/20/2016 at 3:25 PM, Jon leaves the Watch said:

It is Viserion is the one who lands on Ben Plumm's shoulder not Rhaegal.

As for who the Dragon riders will be. Dany of course (already happened), Jon will ride Rhaegal. Viserion is the toughest of the trio to figure out who his rider will be. I think it will be Tyrion, but I am not sure. I mean there is the forshadowing:

Hide contents

Tyrion picking up the Ivory Dragon Cyvasse piece that he picks up during the battle for Meereen.

But part of me thinks that (f)Aegon will ride one of the dragons even if it is for a very short period of time.

I think fAegon will not get to ride any of the dragons. If at least one of the dragons is meant to be stolen, it will be by Euron. 

My suspicion is that Dany and fAegon will never meet, nor he will meet any of her dragons unless on receiving end. 

8 hours ago, Lord of Bongs said:

I have a crazy theory about Tyrion riding a dragon with the help of Bran warging. Just like Tyrion created a saddle for Bran to ride, Bran is the saddle for Tyrion to ride. Tin foil, but pretty cool IMO

Don't know about Tyrion riding a dragons with Bran's help. But I am also assuming that Bran will warg a dragon either to steal one back from Euron or to help out Jon or Dany.

@Eldric StarkI realize that Ice Dragons are ginormous. I keep on thinking, that if everything comes up all things Dany, and she gets two nice people to ride her other two dragons (Jon and Bran or Tyrion), what is stopping those 3 dragons just flying in and melting NK and WW army? Its just so anticlimactic. So I started to theorize, what is NK meets the 3 small dragons by riding a huge Ice Dragon, and basically only way to win the battle is for Dany to sacrifice her own 3 dragons to take down that Ice Dragon in kamikaze run. I can also see riders getting off and Bran controlling all 3 at once for the suicide run.

On July 22, 2016 at 8:41 AM, Masha said:

I think fAegon will not get to ride any of the dragons. If at least one of the dragons is meant to be stolen, it will be by Euron. 

My suspicion is that Dany and fAegon will never meet, nor he will meet any of her dragons unless on receiving end. 

Don't know about Tyrion riding a dragons with Bran's help. But I am also assuming that Bran will warg a dragon either to steal one back from Euron or to help out Jon or Dany.

If not to take a dragon from Euron, how would Bran’s skinchanging into one of Dany’s dragons help either FakeJon or Dany?

Maybe our greenseer just wants to take one out for a test drive. After all, Bran’s already been out flying ravens with Brynden, but those creatures all have greensinger ghosts in them, so dragons might be different. 

Perhaps Bran’s test drive is just to get a feel for whether he wants to recommend that FakeJon acquire one for himself, or whether he decides they’re just too hot to handle and tells FakeJon not to even try getting in the driver’s seat. Surely there are safer dragons for FakeJon to ride!

Archived