The 4 dragonriders

Eldric Stark

As I recall a clutch or multiple dragon eggs are supposed to be in the crypts.  (Sorry, that always excites me a little bit).   Sam muses that it would be cool if there was an egg at the Wall following Queen Alysanne's visit and subsequent endowments to the Nights Watch.  Then there are those shrieks emitting from the caves at Hardome.    Ah, so many potential dragons in the North...

Jon will certainly ride a dragon, though I'm not as sure it will be one of Dany's.    

The math adds up for Tyrion to be the bastard of Aerys Targaryan.   I don't think we will ever know for sure either way.   Compelling arguments on both sides of that coin. 

On 21.7.2016 at 5:23 AM, Eldric Stark said:

The World of Ice and Fire - Beyond the Free Cities: The Shivering Sea 

They tell of pale blue mists that move across the waters, mists so cold that any ship they pass over is frozen instantly; of drowned spirits who rise at night to drag the living down into the grey-green depths; of mermaids pale of flesh with black-scaled tails, far more malign than their sisters of the south.
Of all the queer and fabulous denizens of the Shivering Sea, however, the greatest are the ice dragons. These colossal beasts, many times larger than the dragons of Valyria, are said to be made of living ice, with eyes of pale blue crystal and vast translucent wings through which the moon and stars can be glimpsed as they wheel across the sky. Whereas common dragons(if any dragon can truly be said to be common) breathe flame, ice dragonssupposedly breathe cold, a chill so terrible that it can freeze a man solid in half a heartbeat. 
Sailors from half a hundred nations have glimpsed these great beasts over the centuries, so mayhaps there is some truth behind the tales. Archmaester Margate has suggested that many legends of the north—freezing mists, ice ships, Cannibal Bay, and the like—can be explained as distorted reports of ice-dragon activity. Though an amusing notion, and not without a certain elegance, this remains the purest conjecture. As ice dragons supposedly melt when slain, no actual proof of their existence has ever been found.

well, sailors travelled north and they might have seen northern lights and thought them to be dragons and thb i have seen northern lights on our earth and sometime the lights turn bluish and the way they move they do look like some sort of beast dancing so maybe they have confused those lights with ice dragons....

there are many myths in asoiaf not everything ppl believe in in true..in my view even the gods are myths in asoiaf

and also i believe dragons are creatures of element fire

like others are creatures of ice 

Cotf are creature of earth itself

and squishers are creatures of water 

we wont have children of fire

dragons of earth 

others of water

squishers of ice 

i believe there are beast and beings related to each element in asoiaf and on the global level the got is being played amongst them...

and these 4 forces are everywhere around the world and not only related to 1 continent like 

beings similar to cotf used to be on essos aswell

stories of cold beings similar to others can be found in essos aswell when long night came

dragons used to live in westeros way before aegon came with his dragons 

and squishers or beings from water and there legends are also part of every culture living close to water....

from old town to norvos and the iron islands etc.. so all 4 of these being or beasts or their legends can be found everywhere around the world... 

On 7/23/2016 at 4:42 PM, CrypticWeirwood said:

If not to take a dragon from Euron, how would Bran’s skinchanging into one of Dany’s dragons help either FakeJon or Dany?

Maybe our greenseer just wants to take one out for a test drive. After all, Bran’s already been out flying ravens with Brynden, but those creatures all have greensinger ghosts in them, so dragons might be different. 

Perhaps Bran’s test drive is just to get a feel for whether he wants to recommend that FakeJon acquire one for himself, or whether he decides they’re just too hot to handle and tells FakeJon not to even try getting in the driver’s seat. Surely there are safer dragons for FakeJon to ride!

I have couple of theories brewing, besides getting a stolen dragon back from Euron and Bran being a 3rd dragon rider.

Here are the major ones:

Perhaps there will be a situation where the dragons are needed to be sacrificed in a suicide run and the physical riders get off while Bran is in driver's seat for all three, so to speak, able to bail out in the last second.

Or perhaps Euron does something or Winter King does something that makes Dragons go crazy when Dany and/or Jon are actually riding them and Bran is needed to control dragons and save the riders. I am thinking Winter King does something because you don't get to be a main boss of the story and then get easily killed by nuclear  weapon you could see coming hundreds of years before the final battle and don't device a countermeasure.

About Ice dragons, I think they may well exist but I do not believe we will ever see them. It's not clear but it is hinted that dragons do not die of natural causes which would make them immortal though not invincible and dragons also never stop growing so long as they have space available. If they are so big it may be that Ice dragons are all so old that they've simply grown to be gigantic.

The arguments about Tyrion being a Targ are compelling but really, wouldn't that be a repeat of the whole hidden bastard thing he already did with Jon? Although I love Tyrion's character I would be a little disappointed if GRRM started throwing bastards everywhere. Robert was a known and vigorous adulterer (He pretty much did it with every woman he could get his hands on...). This explains him having bastards all over the Seven kingdoms. Targs on the other hand did have several wives and mistresses but they were usually a tad more picky to my knowledge and unlike Robert seem to have been less fecund in general.

The Reeds theory seems very far-fetched to me as well. The Reeds clearly have strong ties to the Children of the forest which is plenty enough of an explanation for the greendreams (so far none have the ability to warg). Also warging or having the greensight may not at all be linked to the Children at all. The best example being Bloodraven which has the evolved version of warging: greensight yet has likely little to no blood of the Children/First Men in him.

Because I'm biased concerning Asha I like to imagine that she could be the next dragon rider. She is descended from the Grey Kings of old (though not directly), one of which is said to have slain the Sea dragon Naga. I don't think it's far-fetched at all to imagine that she could have some dragon blood in there.

The chapters we've seen from TWOW indicate that Dorne WILL at least be implicated with (f)Aegon. Whether they will truly enter into an alliance with him is still to be discussed. In any case I think he'll basically have a few great successes among which we know is the taking of Storm's End then he'll get in over his head and die just before Dany gets to Westeros. And THEN Dany kicks ass when Cersei thought she had  finally eliminated the Targ threat.

Also about Victarion's horn, I think the horn allows the control of at least one dragon like a lot of people do so far as I've seen on the forums. What I think will happen is that someone maybe not even Victarion or Euron will manage to blow the horn and take control of a dragon. Now the horn is magical and to fight magic you need...magic. Don't we know of another kind of magic that allows the control of living beings? Yes Warging does. As I've explained before it is doubtful IMO that warging is linked to the Children/First Men. At most they may have a stronger tendency to be born with the Gift but no more. I suspect that some of the first Valyrian Dragonlords must have had warging abilities themselves however not all among their children did have such talents which might explain why they would actually create a tool which could enslave their most powerful weapons and the symbol of their Freehold and of it's power. Having said all that the abvious candidates to free the captive dragon(s) are of course either Jon or Bran.

On 28.7.2016 at 5:31 PM, Anima said:

About Ice dragons, I think they may well exist but I do not believe we will ever see them. It's not clear but it is hinted that dragons do not die of natural causes which would make them immortal though not invincible and dragons also never stop growing so long as they have space available. If they are so big it may be that Ice dragons are all so old that they've simply grown to be gigantic.

belerion died of old age so i think they are not immortal, they live very long  but not forever..

4 Dragon Riders

Drogon - Euron (The Dragon Horn has not been revealed to steal Dany's smaller dragons, it's Drogon or Bust for the Crow's Eye)  

Viserion - Daenerys (White and Gold colored dragon named after her brother and the Forsaken chapter lead me to believe Dany weds Euron)

Rhaegal - Jon/Jaeherys Snow (The link to his father, Stark colored dragon who will have the closet connection to Tyrion goes to Jon)

Ice Dragon - The Night King (In show) Stannis (In book) Bran will Warg into This Dragon killing himself and the Rider

Jon and Dany will get the credit for the Victory, Euron will be defeated by Dany and the Citidel, lead by Samwell, Tyrion sadly never gets to ride a Dragon...

Isn't it cannon that a dragon is bound to one rider until that rider dies and only then takes another? If so, Dragonbinder would have to ensnare any dragon but Drogon.

If Victarion/Euron does manage to capture himself a dragon, I can see the scenario where Dany will have to either:

1. Capitulate to keep all her dragons safe (fulfilling the marriage prophecy?). 

or

2. Have her two remaining dragons kill which-ever one has been stolen.

If scenario two, I would think it will be Viserion who is taken, and Dany will end up sacrificing the dragon named for her brother for the greater good of her cause, just as she sacrificed Viserys himself.

It could also end up both 1 and 2, however; with Dany initially trying to make the best of it via marriage, but then deciding that the loss of one of her dragons is unavoidable and preferable to sticking with the Ironborn.

This would also only require two dragonriders for the battle with the others (Dany and Jon). Which, I think, makes the outcome of said battle a little less predictable.

On 30/07/2016 at 11:03 PM, zalim said:

belerion died of old age so i think they are not immortal, they live very long  but not forever..

In A World of Ice and Fire it is said that Balerion was 200 years old when he died and that he was so big he could devour a whole Aurochs because a dragon never stops growing so long as he has food and space, but it is never explicitly said he died of old age. But I did find the post where GRRM said he died of old age indeed.

I don't have the books to sort through right now but I think I remember a passage where a comparison is made between weirwood trees and dragons stating that both grow infinitely so long as they have space and nourishment and since some of the weirwood trees are presumably (but never explicitely I agree) dating back from over 8000 years old during the Dawn Age when the children dominated Westeros I assume that they are either immortal or immensely long lived. And because of that correlation I tought dragons were the same but the author explicitely stated the contrary. A shame, I liked the dragons being immortal if not invincible better. Would have explained why the Valyrians promoted them (at least some of them) to the rank of deities despite using them as mounts.

The Children understand that Weirwood trees (The Old Gods) are not gods in the proper sense of the word. They are incredibly old entities with knowledge of all that has happened in Westeros since the Dawn Age and maybe even beyond. So the Children consider that even if the Weirwood trees are NOT actually gods, they are without question the closest thing they could imagine to what a god would be.

I remember the "Child" Bran meets telling him something along the lines of: "What do you call that if not a god?"

Daenerys riding Drogon is a given.

I agree with Tyrion riding Viserion, but not because he could be Aerys's son(even though A+J=T seems possible). He has dragon dreams and I think he will do a similar trick with Nettles and get Viserion to like him.He has a lot of knowledge about dragons.

About Rhaegal I am not sure.I think Euron will get his dragon after all.

On 3.8.2016 at 11:33 AM, Anima said:

In A World of Ice and Fire it is said that Balerion was 200 years old when he died and that he was so big he could devour a whole Aurochs because a dragon never stops growing so long as he has food and space, but it is never explicitly said he died of old age. But I did find the post where GRRM said he died of old age indeed.

I don't have the books to sort through right now but I think I remember a passage where a comparison is made between weirwood trees and dragons stating that both grow infinitely so long as they have space and nourishment and since some of the weirwood trees are presumably (but never explicitely I agree) dating back from over 8000 years old during the Dawn Age when the children dominated Westeros I assume that they are either immortal or immensely long lived. And because of that correlation I tought dragons were the same but the author explicitely stated the contrary. A shame, I liked the dragons being immortal if not invincible better. Would have explained why the Valyrians promoted them (at least some of them) to the rank of deities despite using them as mounts.

The Children understand that Weirwood trees (The Old Gods) are not gods in the proper sense of the word. They are incredibly old entities with knowledge of all that has happened in Westeros since the Dawn Age and maybe even beyond. So the Children consider that even if the Weirwood trees are NOT actually gods, they are without question the closest thing they could imagine to what a god would be.

I remember the "Child" Bran meets telling him something along the lines of: "What do you call that if not a god?"

Weirwood are immortal as long as they have space and enough water around, some of the weirwood is thousands and thousands of years old and still fresh looking lol 

so yeah MAYBE weirwood is indeed immortal because the are kept that way because of magic... remember when the magic was apparently gone from the world... weirwood were still doing their job and magic (if magic exists at all) was still alive in them or though them... maybe they are connected to cotf or greenseers in some way...

Dragons are also somehow related to magic but not as strongly as weirwood

Archived