The Ultimate Winds of Winter Resource

BryndenBFish

On 7/17/2016 at 7:41 PM, Ser Wun Wun said:

Har.  <_<  

After 5 years of analysis, I thought the bone had been picked clean regarding foreshadowing in ADWD.  I wonder what else will prove to be foreshadowing once Winds is out.  

A Dance with Dragons - Jon IV

Jon was not surprised. "If it comes to swords, see where Hother's banner flies and put Mors on the other end of the line."
The Giantslayer disagreed. "You would make His Grace look weak. I say, show our strength. Burn Last Hearth to the ground and ride to war with Crowfood's head mounted on a spear, as a lesson to the next lord who presumes to offer half his homage."
"A fine plan if what you want is every hand in the north raised against you. Half is more than none. The Umbers have no love for the Boltons. If Whoresbane has joined the Bastard, it can only be because the Lannisters hold the Greatjon captive."

>So, if i remember correctly, this Giantslayer is one of Stannis' men who is more devout to R'hllor and also hates the wildlings? So it seems like an independent, berserker situation could have happened against Stannis' orders? Time for a Winds/Theon re-read.

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

@The Fattest Leech, isn't Godry the Giantslayer a Queen's man?

I think you are correct. Hmmm, if that is so, then things are going to be, just, so, chaotic is what I am thinking, but that doesn't do the whole northern situation any justice. My brain is going a mile a minute at the moment.

33 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I think you are correct. Hmmm, if that is so, then things are going to be, just, so, chaotic is what I am thinking, but that doesn't do the whole northern situation any justice. My brain is going a mile a minute at the moment.

Yeah, it will be messy and chaotic. Need to find that thread about what will happen at CB/with the NW in the aftermath of the Ides. 

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

A Dance with Dragons - Jon IV

Jon was not surprised. "If it comes to swords, see where Hother's banner flies and put Mors on the other end of the line."
The Giantslayer disagreed. "You would make His Grace look weak. I say, show our strength. Burn Last Hearth to the ground and ride to war with Crowfood's head mounted on a spear, as a lesson to the next lord who presumes to offer half his homage."
"A fine plan if what you want is every hand in the north raised against you. Half is more than none. The Umbers have no love for the Boltons. If Whoresbane has joined the Bastard, it can only be because the Lannisters hold the Greatjon captive."

>So, if i remember correctly, this Giantslayer is one of Stannis' men who is more devout to R'hllor and also hates the wildlings? So it seems like an independent, berserker situation could have happened against Stannis' orders? Time for a Winds/Theon re-read.

The latest translation say's it's the Frey's who put Crowfood's head on a spear.  Godry is a sadist, but I don't think he ignored Stannis's orders to murder a commander fighting for Stannis in the middle of a battle.

Here is the latest translation of the scene:

[daughter] of the Lord Reaper of Pyke. __ __ ___ ____ __ ___ ____ ____ __, Asha thought, as she took a _ ___ ____ [of/at?] the land.

The leader of the enemy wore silvered plate and mail, inlaid with [detail?] of lapis lazuli. The [crest] of his [helmet/warhelm?] was [tall?], fashioned in the shape of the Twin Towers of House Frey.

Before him rode three banner bearers. One bore the stag and lion standard of King Tommen, another the Twin Towers of House Frey.

The third brandished a bloody head impaled upon the point of a tall spear. An old man’s head it was, white-bearded and one eyed. The spear was ________ with a pale wood, almost white. ___ ___ along its upper shaft had ________ dark and red.

Crowfood Umber, Asha knew. The old northman had fought to his death, it seemed. Perhaps the [foe?] had thought the sight of the severed head would [take?] the [heart] of the…

They rushed together [like?] ___ _____ _____ _______ _____

They pretty much translated the entire thing. 

57 minutes ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

The latest translation say's it's the Frey's who put Crowfood's head on a spear.  Godry is a sadist, but I don't think he ignored Stannis's orders to murder a commander fighting for Stannis in the middle of a battle.

Here is the latest translation of the scene:

They pretty much translated the entire thing. 

Wow. Thanks. That does include more than I last saw. I have re-setup my books (including Theon-Winds) to put this info fresh into my mind. 

1 hour ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

[daughter] of the Lord Reaper of Pyke. __ __ ___ ____ __ ___ ____ ____ __, Asha thought, as she took a _ ___ ____ [of/at?] the land.

The leader of the enemy wore silvered plate and mail, inlaid with [detail?] of lapis lazuli. The [crest] of his [helmet/warhelm?] was [tall?], fashioned in the shape of the Twin Towers of House Frey.

Before him rode three banner bearers. One bore the stag and lion standard of King Tommen, another the Twin Towers of House Frey.

The third brandished a bloody head impaled upon the point of a tall spear. An old man’s head it was, white-bearded and one eyed. The spear was ________ with a pale wood, almost white. ___ ___ along its upper shaft had ________ dark and red.

Crowfood Umber, Asha knew. The old northman had fought to his death, it seemed. Perhaps the [foe?] had thought the sight of the severed head would [take?] the [heart] of the…

They rushed together [like?] ___ _____ _____ _______ _____

Interesting!  Could it be a weirwood spear...and could that be significant?  :dunno:

You know this actually could be a good sign in a way as this means the Frey arrive before Manderly which makes the whole Stannis killing Wyman over Davos possibility less likely and having Mors severed head makes the scenario of "Ramsay is the PL author but he is being feed false info" more credence

12 hours ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

You know this actually could be a good sign in a way as this means the Frey arrive before Manderly which makes the whole Stannis killing Wyman over Davos possibility less likely and having Mors severed head makes the scenario of "Ramsay is the PL author but he is being feed false info" more credence

Wyman Manderly is in Winterfell anyway, currently recovering from the loss of his chins. Not sure who commands his forces, possibly his cousin Marlon Manderly, assuming he wasn't left at White Harbour

16 hours ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

:D.. Hold on.. for me, the fact that we're seeing Asha's POV, not Theon's, fits well with my opinion that Stannis does take Theon to the tree and changes his mind, sending Theon north with Tycho, after all. He wrote the letter to Jon(as Ramsay) warning that Ramsay would attack, and Thorne and Marsh intercepted and "Bastard"-ized it. 

Fascinating as it is, I don't think it shoots down any of the letter theories (except if there's anyone that thought Mors wrote it):(

On 7/19/2016 at 6:10 PM, Ser Biscuit said:

Did that dumbass Hosteen Frey really put Crowfood's head on a weirdwood stake, sport it to the Northern Armies inside Winterfell, then march toward the Crawford's village with it as if it was a banner? He's so done.

Yeah, he's definitely going to die one way or the other. I think all of the Freys that went North are pretty much screwed and they're going to lose most of their army as well.

On July 30, 2016 at 11:13 AM, AlienCarnivore said:

Yeah, he's definitely going to die one way or the other. I think all of the Freys that went North are pretty much screwed and they're going to lose most of their army as well.

I don't think any Frey or their army are coming out of that war alive. 

On 8/1/2016 at 5:53 PM, The Wolves said:

I don't think any Frey or their army are coming out of that war alive. 

I think you're right. That'll be Stannis' accomplishment: getting rid of the Frey vanguard, which would still be impressive given the state of his army and the size of the vanguard.

On 15-7-2016 at 10:47 AM, Free Northman Reborn said:

Look, it was always puzzling to me how Crowfood could expect to sit outside Winterfell with 400 green recruits and expect to gleefully threaten the veteran army numbering around 8000 or more sitting inside the castle. What was his plan once they charged out the gates? The trenches could only have stopped a limited number of horsemen before his boys got slaughtered.

Sounds to me almost like a deliberate suicide mission.

As an aside, I wonder how old Hother feels about this, standing on the other side.

I always assumed the man did have an exit strategy of some sorts. Like, he had the trenches dug to keep his boys busy and to cause some mayhem, but if the enemy actually came out he would withdraw. Perhaps stalk them and try to cut their supply lines. Guess that didn't work out :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 15-7-2016 at 2:57 PM, sifth said:

If the shows any indication Jon's coming back as well, unless GRRM decides to keep him dead just to spite the show, lol

In chapter "Asha" Jon is that time on the Eastwatch, Stannis, wil re-united Jeyne Poolel (the fake "Arya") and Lord Snow.

From earlier reading, Jon was planning to keep a large groupwildlings North safe by ships in the north, for ships he has to go to the Eastwacht.

Archived