NFL 2016 Offseason: THIS Is The Year!

Jace, Extat

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The new rules are allowing guys to extend their careers. I'd expect it to be the new normal for premier QBs to hang around until their mid to late 30's. 

I feel like that has already happened. 

My point is that in the past five years, how many pro bowl quarterbacks have retired?  Peyton Manning and Matt Hasslebeck both retired last year.  Unless I'm forgetting somebody, you have to go back more than five years to Donovan McNabb, Brett Favre and Kurt Warner, all of whom had their final good season in 2009.  So in the past five years we really haven't seen a lot of qbs aging out.  In comparison, the next five years are going to leave a huge gap in the quarterback ranks. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I feel like that has already happened. 

My point is that in the past five years, how many pro bowl quarterbacks have retired?  Peyton Manning and Matt Hasslebeck both retired last year.  Unless I'm forgetting somebody, you have to go back more than five years to Donovan McNabb, Brett Favre and Kurt Warner, all of whom had their final good season in 2009.  So in the past five years we really haven't seen a lot of qbs aging out.  In comparison, the next five years are going to leave a huge gap in the quarterback ranks. 

On top of that it seems to me the whole concussion issue is gaining a head of steam. Despite the fact that QB's seem to be a bit more insulated from that risk than other positions, I have to imagine that we will see a couple of QBs on that list of aging stars step out early.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I was looking at PFF's ranking of each team's qb situation, and I was really struck by how many of the best quarterbacks in the league are in their mid to late 30s.  Peyton Manning is already gone, but plenty of great quarterbacks will be following him pretty soon.  Three years from now, the QB picture in the league is going to be really different, and almost assuredly a lot less impressive.

Tom Brady (38), Drew Brees (37), Carson Palmer (36), Tony Romo (36), Eli Manning (35), Philip Rivers (34), Ben Roethlisberger (34)

That's seven guys who combine for nine super bowl wins and I don't even know how many pro bowls.  All of them are still easily in the conversation for top 10 qbs in the league (possible exception for Manning).  The league will be really different when they are gone, and it might happen fast. 

I'm looking forward to it. Wilson and Luck will be the new Brady and Manning (like, eerily so) and balance will be restored to the league. I'm just enjoying the false hope of the AFC South right now. Bortles and Marita and Oswieler, oh my! 

I'm sure the Jags will always be fiesty with the Colts and perpetually one or two seasons away, and Marita actually gives me pause but at this point the Titoons are analogous to the WWII Era French. Brave and hardy soldiers amongst their ranks but governed by fools and incompetents.

2 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

You had respect for Timmy Tebow? That guy is as big a douchebag as Johnny Fucktard, the latter is just bad at hiding it.

12 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Superbowl, superbowl, superbowl, wahoo!

A fantastic deal for Von, but disheartening. I'm quite fond of the Broncos again now that five head fuck face is gone and I worry at the cap hit. For the Broncos' sake the next CBA had better be a landslide of concessions to players or Paxton Lynch a bust.

"What Tom has had to endure throughout this 18-month ordeal has been, in my opinion, as far removed from due process as you could ever expect in this country." - Robert Kraft 

Could be one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard. 

53 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

"What Tom has had to endure throughout this 18-month ordeal has been, in my opinion, as far removed from due process as you could ever expect in this country." - Robert Kraft 

Could be one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard. 

In his defense, it does appear to be taking a toll on the Tahmstah...

Brady%20Gronk%20Court%20sketch_zpszdnr8y

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

In his defense, it does appear to be taking a toll on the Tahmstah...

Brady%20Gronk%20Court%20sketch_zpszdnr8y

Oh you're such a devil! I bought some of that Himalayan Pink Salt, not sure if it's making the demons leave my muscle fibers or whatever, but it tastes good.

So the Muhammad Wilkerson deal no one is talking about is probably gonna free up a little teeny tiny amount of cap room that PFF thinks will help the Jets to pay Fitz. But they will probably still have less than 6 million available and if Fitz signs for that I will be deeply disappointed. 

It's a weird situation because I've told everyone he was a competent starter for years and I finally got my proof last year. And what's more, I've long looked to the Jets as the Minas Tirith to NE's Mordor, but this Fitz business has left me sour. 

They should not pay him Sam Bradford money, he's a far better player but that is an outrageous cost, but neither should they insult the most capable QB they've had since Chad Pennington with so poor an offer as we've yet seen.

Besides Denver, NY is the best place for Fitz, and he the best QB for them. But if they insist on insult then he should let them move forward with Geno Smith. 

So now the league will be putting sensors in footballs to determine the narrowing of the goalposts.

This meddling with the game is beginning to grow tiresome. I'll grant that the increase in the distance of extra points did not ruin the game. But narrowing the goalposts? Players getting better at the game does not mean you have to change the rules toare it harder.

14 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

So now the league will be putting sensors in footballs to determine the narrowing of the goalposts.

This meddling with the game is beginning to grow tiresome. I'll grant that the increase in the distance of extra points did not ruin the game. But narrowing the goalposts? Players getting better at the game does not mean you have to change the rules toare it harder.

I don't see why narrowing the goalposts is any way a problem.  If the 3 points are virtually automatic for under 40 yard kicks, then that really isn't very interesting.  There are plenty of changes the NFL has made that bother me a lot more.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I don't see why narrowing the goalposts is any way a problem.  If the 3 points are virtually automatic for under 40 yard kicks, then that really isn't very interesting.  There are plenty of changes the NFL has made that bother me a lot more.

It could also lead to an increase in going for it on 4th down. I'm all for that. 

6 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Vegas has Patsies as favorite to win Superb Owl 51 despite Brady suspension...

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/17084960/nfl-new-england-patriots-remain-super-bowl-li-favorites-las-vegas-book

Why wouldn't they be? I'd consider them to have been the favorites for most of the last decade and a half.

Brady misses the first four games? So what? That's like OTAs to the Pats anyways. Doing them a favor, Goodell is. That pink salt eating boob isn't going to get hurt during suspension.

They could go 0-4 and I'll still bet on them having a bye. Top seed if the Steelers have dropped one by then.

22 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Maybe they should just make the goalposts like the arena league and be done with it if they want to keep changing dumb shit like this.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Why wouldn't they be? I'd consider them to have been the favorites for most of the last decade and a half.

Brady misses the first four games? So what? That's like OTAs to the Pats anyways. Doing them a favor, Goodell is. That pink salt eating boob isn't going to get hurt during suspension.

They could go 0-4 and I'll still bet on them having a bye. Top seed if the Steelers have dropped one by then.

Yeah, I doubt they go worse than 2-2 while Tommy Watermelons is out. Not sure I'd pen them in as the favorite though. Close to the top for sure, but not a prohibitive favorite necessarily.

10 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I doubt they go worse than 2-2 while Tommy Watermelons is out. Not sure I'd pen them in as the favorite though. Close to the top for sure, but not a prohibitive favorite necessarily.

Name a team besides the undisciplined and swoon prone Steelers that can challenge them in the AFC.

Archived