Rank the 6 seasons

AngeL0L

Yeah many of us have S5 at the bottom of our list for a reason, and it is a amalgamation of all the comments before me. Season 6 was a slight improvement, but that is mostly just a combination of cinematography and a few storylines surprisingly not being ass (plus the Hodor reveal was pretty good)

I had a huge problem with Arya's storyline in particular, the Waif becoming the Terminator, Arya being an idiot, and Jagen being cool with her killing the Waif and just leaving.

And I don't even get me started on "THE KING IN THE NORTH", the scene was alright but just the logic of all the Northern lords rallying behind a bastard over the trueborn baffled me. It was weird because when I first watched it and Lyanna is giving her little speech, I thought they were about to crown Sansa Queen, because I had the same opinion as LF. LF (and me) were certain Sansa was being named Queen, then they just threw logic out the window in favor of KING IN THE NORTH 2.0

R+L=J Reveal Thoughts. This is just a fun little comment but I wanna shout out and roll my eyes real hard at the people who at first thought "Oh so....Lyanna had Jon with Ned?" I was facepalming so hard at all the people too stupid to get what was going on in the Tower of Joy reveal scene. Casuals who watch this show seriously don't pay attention to anything (Arthur Dayne and Gerold Hightower had the Targaryen symbol on their chests for god sakes). They've name dropped Lyanna and Rhaegar together so much throughout the series, even more so in the last few seasons to get people prepared for this moment and half of them still didn't get it. also another shoutout to all the ones who thought the Mad King was the dad, really special kind of stupid there. A buddy of mine came to talk to me about the finale afterwards and he was like "Dude did you see the scene where they revealed that Ned had Jon with his sister?!" and I wanted to slap him so hard.

Yeah many of us have S5 at the bottom of our list for a reason, and it is a amalgamation of all the comments before me. Season 6 was a slight improvement, but that is mostly just a combination of cinematography and a few storylines surprisingly not being ass (plus the Hodor reveal was pretty good)

I had a huge problem with Arya's storyline in particular, the Waif becoming the Terminator, Arya being an idiot, and Jagen being cool with her killing the Waif and just leaving.

And I don't even get me started on "THE KING IN THE NORTH", the scene was alright but just the logic of all the Northern lords rallying behind a bastard over the trueborn baffled me. It was weird because when I first watched it and Lyanna is giving her little speech, I thought they were about to crown Sansa Queen, because I had the same opinion as LF. LF (and me) were certain Sansa was being named Queen, then they just threw logic out the window in favor of KING IN THE NORTH 2.0

+1000 to everything you said

R+L=J Reveal Thoughts. This is just a fun little comment but I wanna shout out and roll my eyes real hard at the people who at first thought "Oh so....Lyanna had Jon with Ned?" I was facepalming so hard at all the people too stupid to get what was going on in the Tower of Joy reveal scene. Casuals who watch this show seriously don't pay attention to anything (Arthur Dayne and Gerold Hightower had the Targaryen symbol on their chests for god sakes). They've name dropped Lyanna and Rhaegar together so much throughout the series, even more so in the last few seasons to get people prepared for this moment and half of them still didn't get it. also another shoutout to all the ones who thought the Mad King was the dad, really special kind of stupid there. A buddy of mine came to talk to me about the finale afterwards and he was like "Dude did you see the scene where they revealed that Ned had Jon with his sister?!" and I wanted to slap him so hard.

I agree that it was stupid to think that, but it's proof that the show is badly written. And I don't think they seeded Rhaegar so much, I mean they very rarely talk about her or about the reason behind Robert's rebellion. I can really understand why people didn't get it, especially when the scene itself makes Ned go next to the baby and acting fatherlike (I know I'm not being clear at all, but it's hard to explain, basically I mean his body language could imply he is the father if you don't know Rhaegar exists. They could just have make Lyanna say Rhaegar's name, even faintly. For me the show is at fault with that, not the viewers.

25 minutes ago, Anton Martell said:

+1000 to everything you said

I agree that it was stupid to think that, but it's proof that the show is badly written. And I don't think they seeded Rhaegar so much, I mean they very rarely talk about her or about the reason behind Robert's rebellion. I can really understand why people didn't get it, especially when the scene itself makes Ned go next to the baby and acting fatherlike (I know I'm not being clear at all, but it's hard to explain, basically I mean his body language could imply he is the father if you don't know Rhaegar exists. They could just have make Lyanna say Rhaegar's name, even faintly. For me the show is at fault with that, not the viewers.

I do agree they didn't get it across in the best way that Rhaegar was the dad, they could of easily had Lyanna say it out loud. I think this is a result of D&D just assuming EVERYBODY that watches the show must know the formula (which surprisingly there are a lot who don't and still don't if they didn't look it up after the finale lol). Unless they are saving the Rhaegar bit for Season 7. They have to show him now at this point. They gotta finally cast him and show him in flashbacks with Lyanna to get across to some that he is half Targaryen because a lot just think Ned had sex with his sister, which is not good lol. If we go the entire show without seeing Rhaegar once that'd be kind of ridiculous.

14 hours ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

I do agree they didn't get it across in the best way that Rhaegar was the dad, they could of easily had Lyanna say it out loud. I think this is a result of D&D just assuming EVERYBODY that watches the show must know the formula (which surprisingly there are a lot who don't and still don't if they didn't look it up after the finale lol). Unless they are saving the Rhaegar bit for Season 7. They have to show him now at this point. They gotta finally cast him and show him in flashbacks with Lyanna to get across to some that he is half Targaryen because a lot just think Ned had sex with his sister, which is not good lol. If we go the entire show without seeing Rhaegar once that'd be kind of ridiculous.

The show is kinda ridiculous already :D. But yeah i think they need to clear something from this. Probably through Bran. And I think they wanted to do this scene to stick it to book lovers. Something like: yeah, this is it. We're showing you this before GRRM. And as you said they assumed everybody knew, which is why I think it was specifically for book readers in some unconscious way

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2016 at 11:51 AM, lakin1013 said:

This is actually quite difficult to do regarding season 6.  6 seemed to have some bipolarity to it.  Some of the episodes were wonderful and others were abysmal. Season 6  scores a 0 for one storyline (Arya) and a 10 for another (Jon).  One character is practically assassinated (Jaime) and another character is top-notch (Lyanna, either, take your pick).  As a grader, S.6 would balance out to be a 5 but some of the highs were so much higher than a simple 10 point scale.  I actually would find it easier to list my top episodes than my top seasons.  

Jons storyline was a 10? I mean I can concede that it was at very least more fun to watch than most of the rest of Season 6, but he literally comes back to life because Mel burns a couple of his hairs and says some shit in Valyrian, then decides to ditch The Nights Watch after seeing first hand the greatest threat to Westeros with no explanation given beyond "I fucked up cause I died". Jons story more than probably any other with the exception of maybe Danys is the best example of the general trend towards fanservice and more generic fantasy tropes in Season 6.

• 1 year later...

Can I just ask, does it even make to rate whole seasons - or, hell, just even whole episodes?

The quality and other aspects (amount of progression and whatnot) often vary strongly between the separate storylines - to such an extent, if I didn't know better from the credits I'd just have assumed that the directors (and possibly writers) are distributed among storylines and not episodes (or pairs of episodes rather).

Then you've got cases like S5 where it starts out solid, and then takes a dive into wrongness and absuridty after the 1st 3rd or so - and not every plotline of course, just two or  three of them.

And the way the different threads are put together or intercut with each other is often very clunky and phoned in, so it literally feels like several movies cut together - not always of course, they tend to get particularly fancy in the episode finales and there are other exceptions, but still can't be ignored.

It's like uh, it's like rating RoTJ or something - like, how do you really rate it with a single score? Doesn't really make much sense does it.

Whenever something becomes popular enough like GOT or Star Wars people are always far more critical of it. Even at its lowest points GOT is better than the majority of other television shows or blockbuster movies. With that said.. My rankings:

Season 4 is the best in nearly every way

Season 1 is the best adaptation of any book ever

Season 3 is where real emotional investment begins

Season 2 feels a bit slow but it needed to introduce a lot

Season 6 is half good half bleh and the most overrated 

Season 5 is dark and (imo) underrated. To elaborate: season 5 feels more like a pilot season than a continuation. Tywin and Joffrey are dead, Tyrion is in Essos, Stannis is in the north, Arya is in Bravvos, the Hound is dead, Bran is absent, Sansa is out of Lannister clutches. Its essentially a new show compared to the arcs of the first four seasons. It definitely has some flaws and terrible moments but i think it gets a bad wrap by a plethora of book fans.

Season 7... weren't we all a little disappointed though? (sighs)                                                         

15 hours ago, Pink Fat Rast said:

Can I just ask, does it even make to rate whole seasons - or, hell, just even whole episodes?

I don't think it's that complicated. At least, it's not for me. I just rank them based on my enjoyment of each season. For example, I enjoyed season 4 the most and season 5 the least (though, I loved every season.)

Season 4 to be is the best far and above. It had great dramatic moments, excellent character stories, and so much payoff.

Season 3 was very similar quality to 4, but it just didn't have the same level of epicness in my mind.

Season 1 was excellent, and we wouldn't be watching this show for so long without it.

Season 2 had lots of good stuff but felt a bit rough. This season also went way overboard with the X rated material for no real reason.

Season 5 was where the show started to change, for the worst I feel. It was very dry and boring at times, but did have some good story movement.

Season 6 I feel is where the show started to become fan-fiction quality. They abandoned the concepts of real consequences for actions and decisions, and it feels often that they're forcing a square peg into a round hole to say just to make the story go where they want it. What I miss the most from the first half of the show was how characters would take actions and make choices, and later would pay for that. This no longer happens, and it really got bad in Season 6.

Archived