Stranger Things (Netflix) [Spoiler Thread]

AncalagonTheBlack

Jus watched the first episode.

Produced very well. 

Cinematography is pretty great.

Set in the 1983 and it's pretty detailed to that period. I remember homes looking exactly like that when I was a kid. Supercool 80s songs that are even dated to within a year or so of the setting.

The writing or plot haven't got me hooked yet but it looks as if it could be one of those stories that take a while to get into.

11 hours ago, Astromech said:

This reminds of so many 80s films. I'm pretty excited for it.

I'm 4 episodes in. Any 80s kid should joyously bask in the 80s nostalgia oozing from every single aspect of this show.

There aren't many pop culture and political references awkwardly shoehorned into the dialogue like is commonly done with back in time peices, it's mostly very subtle.

A lot of things are very "had to be there" to even notice.

Such a great show. I mean freakin' Demogorgon is a guest star! :-)

4 eps in, really excited to finish this tonight. One of the most engrossing shows I've seen in awhile.

Great for 80s kids and Stephen King fans. 

I agree with all that's said above. It sucks you in with the 80s sci-fi thrillers nostalgia, and keeps you there with the human drama, good plot, and interesting characters. Oh, and the music, the music!!!

4 episodes in so far.

Just saw the first 8 minutes ( thanks ACB for the reminder of this show) and am now left thinking I definitely want to see this asap.

My only concern is that the supernatural element might turn out to disappoint me, and I'd hate that.

Not that it looks bad btw, but I hope it doesn't turn out to all be a hoax set up by other people. Like The Village.

You can see the end of that film really scarred me can't you?

Has anyone seen it all by now? 

Binged watched it.

Really enjoyed it overall, though I felt things got a bit rushed at the end. There's one major choice a character makes that seems to come with little foreshadowing.

There's also a scene right before the credits which seemed like a bit forced, more a path to a second season that interferes a bit with the wrap up of this one.

However I suspect if there was a second season the kids would either have to be way older, or more likely the plot would focus on another town but have similar SFF/horror elements in a nostalgic setting.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I've watched the first two episodes and I'm completely hooked. Characters are all very good and the plot is sufficiently mysterious right now. I feel so sad for El :( 

I'm also just through two eps.  Its rough what El has been through but I'm more sad for Benny :( Such a nice guy

We are also having a lot of fun with this...we have three more episodes to go...  kind of reminds me of the Movie Super 8

Millie Bobby Brown is the best child actor I've ever seen.... She was unbelievable in The Intruders, and She's great in this... and I don't think Wynonna Ryder is acting....lol

7 hours ago, Sci-2 said:

Binged watched it.

Really enjoyed it overall, though I felt things got a bit rushed at the end. There's one major choice a character makes that seems to come with little foreshadowing.

There's also a scene right before the credits which seemed like a bit forced, more a path to a second season that interferes a bit with the wrap up of this one.

However I suspect if there was a second season the kids would either have to be way older, or more likely the plot would focus on another town but have similar SFF/horror elements in a nostalgic setting.

Just finished it myself. Great show. I agree with you on the choices for a 2nd season.

As for your comments

The major choice - are you referring to when the chief makes the deal with the gov people? I suppose there wouldn't be foreshadowing, but it still made sense. 

At the scene with Will at the end was a bit forced, but if it means bringing her back, I won't complain. She is a great character.

Now considering how dark the first episodes were, I was expecting a darker ending, though it was sufficiently dramatic.

14 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Just finished it myself. Great show. I agree with you on the choices for a 2nd season.

As for your comments

Reveal hidden contents

The major choice - are you referring to when the chief makes the deal with the gov people? I suppose there wouldn't be foreshadowing, but it still made sense. 

At the scene with Will at the end was a bit forced, but if it means bringing her back, I won't complain. She is a great character.

Now considering how dark the first episodes were, I was expecting a darker ending, though it was sufficiently dramatic.

Yeah that's the one. I just think they might've done a better job letting us think that at least *might* happen? 

Spoiler

It's also weird the kids don't figure it out, I mean they even note there was a "Lando" situation to how they were discovered. Seems like everyone is happy a month later and no one thinks about how someone on their team was responsible for El's disappearance and maybe death....

Actually I'd also have liked to have El just die. Seems like they had her disintegrate just for the possibility of a second season.

1 hour ago, The Wolves said:

At the end 

Reveal hidden contents

was Will his mother and brother still living in that house? Cause if so why the hell would they still live there.

They don't have a lot of money. Where would they move?

Archived