Stranger Things (Netflix) [Spoiler Thread]

AncalagonTheBlack

18 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Yes

What I don't quite understand (finale spoilers)

How is it that the chief is the only one to figure this out? Is the implication supposed to be that when he got in that car with those people they told him? I'm not sure that makes sense. But then I was really tired by the time I finished it last night I didn't wanna stop watching. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

Reveal hidden contents

How is it that the chief is the only one to figure this out? Is the implication supposed to be that when he got in that car with those people they told him? I'm not sure that makes sense. But then I was really tired by the time I finished it last night I didn't wanna stop watching. 

Yes, you're right about that. I think all of what happened in the last 10-15 minutes of the episode was done as a setup for season 2. So that gap hopefully will probably be explained next season.

Man, please stop talking in code about the ending spoilers... This is why we can't have nice things... I don't really need to know about whether people move or not...

As for the show itself... My goodness this is good. It feels like Spielberg made another masterpiece back in the early 80's and then hid it away in a closet until now. The John Carpenteresque score is also really brilliant. I am four episodes in, and should be finished tonight.

Just watched the first episode. Mostly all things 80s make me cringe, but OMFG, we had a wall phone that looked just like that! (Only ours was avocado green) I really liked it, and I think that my husband was one of those boys. 

4 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

As for the show itself... My goodness this is good. It feels like Spielberg made another masterpiece back in the early 80's and then hid it away in a closet until now. The John Carpenteresque score is also really brilliant. I am four episodes in, and should be finished tonight.

Yes!

It's funny I was driving home thinking about the show and it hit me why I liked the music so much.

I'm going to rewatch and look closer for scenes that are homage to older films.

Some of the scenes in the upside down look right out of a Kubrick movie.

There's one scene in particular where the government guys are in their hazmat suits or whatever and their faces are all illuminated in a blue light, I could swear i remember that from some 80s movie.

4 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

Man, please stop talking in code about the ending spoilers... This is why we can't have nice things...

I'm not totally sure what this means, but I'm gonna keep using the spoiler code. If for some reason the text is not hidden in your browser of choice you should contact the mods and let us know more clearly that that's happening for you. I don't think anyone is being malicious here. 

16 minutes ago, The Human Abstract said:

I am not 100% convinced .. (Ending spoiler)

Hide contents

He knows El is alive.  I think it may be a hopeful act of tribute.  But we shall see in season 2.

No, from a TV narrative perspective I think it's pretty clear that they want the audience to know "hey, the best actress on this show will return next season." They just could have handled it better. But like Corvinus said I think it's just supposed to be a hook for season two. Had this season been a one off (as I'd assumed going in) I'd have preferred Mike leaving the eggos in the woods as a hopeful gesture like you said. But again you gotta ask why the chief? And what happened when he got into that car? I have to assume the higher ups who we haven't even met yet were not pleased at losing their asset.

30 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

I'm going to rewatch and look closer for scenes that are homage to older films.

Some of the scenes in the upside down look right out of a Kubrick movie.

There's one scene in particular where the government guys are in their hazmat suits or whatever and their faces are all illuminated in a blue light, I could swear i remember that from some 80s movie.

You will probably enjoy this article on the easter eggs in Stranger Things. Everything just seems so familiar. http://www.zimbio.com/Beyond+the+Tube/articles/DCxdpSift92/80s+Beyond+Easter+Eggs+Stranger+Things

2 minutes ago, Jabronius Maximus said:

Also I'm fairly sure that

Reveal hidden contents

Hopper is a former fed. He's way too skilled to have just been a small town cop. And he is either now in league with, or just rejoined the feds there at the end.

Reveal hidden contents

See my first read of that scene was along the lines of "He was working for them all along" DUN DUN DUN. but that doesn't make sense at all. I like your explanation better, but I still don't see him as a "fed" in the past. Maybe a Vietnam officer? But many people express doubt in his abilities as a lawman. You'd have to believe he was running one helluva long con just in case this girl ever got out. Which again goes totally against his (admittedly last minute) characterization as a father who lost everything.

I think it's more likely that A: the "Department of Energy" is not willing to let El go that easily and B: They're holding all the main characters lives over the Chief's head. Even if El and the monster were dead, why should they not have killed / "debriefed" the kids and their families? They know too much. I mean christ a kid came back from the dead. Officially he was buried. It only seem logical that they'd exhume the "body" after he came back. But somehow the government people let all this happen, and I think the chief is the reason why. Remember, Lando ended up being a good guy in the end.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'm not totally sure what this means, but I'm gonna keep using the spoiler code. If for some reason the text is not hidden in your browser of choice you should contact the mods and let us know more clearly that that's happening for you. I don't think anyone is being malicious here. 

Reveal hidden contents

No, from a TV narrative perspective I think it's pretty clear that they want the audience to know "hey, the best actress on this show will return next season." They just could have handled it better. But like Corvinus said I think it's just supposed to be a hook for season two. Had this season been a one off (as I'd assumed going in) I'd have preferred Mike leaving the eggos in the woods as a hopeful gesture like you said. But again you gotta ask why the chief? And what happened when he got into that car? I have to assume the higher ups who we haven't even met yet were not pleased at losing their asset.

You are doing fine... I am speaking of people who are talking about the ending somewhat vaguely without putting it under the spoiler tag...

35 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

You are doing fine... I am speaking of people who are talking about the ending somewhat vaguely without putting it under the spoiler tag...

oooh ok other kind of code, I get it now. 

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

Reveal hidden contents

I saw that scene as the Feds cashing in on their deal; we let you go rescue Will and nobody speaks of this again. I think he knew El was alive (the last bit takes place one month later. I assume he has left offerings before, which have been taken).

And I saw the part with Will coughing up slug things a definite set up for season 2

8 hours ago, Astromech said:

You will probably enjoy this article on the easter eggs in Stranger Things. Everything just seems so familiar. http://www.zimbio.com/Beyond+the+Tube/articles/DCxdpSift92/80s+Beyond+Easter+Eggs+Stranger+Things

Thats pretty cool. I gotta get one of those posters.

There's at least one trope they didn't mention....

Spoiler

The completely clueless "do as your mother says" 80s movie dad trope that is Mikes father. That was a staple of the decade.

I just finished the series today, and I think that this is the best surprise of the year. I absolutely adored the show. It was such a loving homage to 80's film making. I do believe that as with most of Netflix series, it could have stood to be just a bit more compact, but we know what we are getting when we see a show from this network, so that is a minor quibble.

There are also so many ways to look at what happened on the show. My interpretation is that the demagorgon was a manifestation of El's tortured unconcience. I think that what is coming out of Will at the end is his beginnings of manifesting his fears.

This is no the only way of looking at things, as very easily, these creatures could be separate entities in their own right.

I would like them to shoot a few seasons of this show, right now, while the actors are all young. I'm sure it won't happen, but wouldn't it be awesome to get five years of episodes with these kids now? All in all, I can't wait for season 2 

Archived