The books coming out in 2017

AncalagonTheBlack

Kensington is launching a new digital SF imprint, Rebel Base Books, in fall 2017, starting with Barb Hendee’s Through a Dark Glass. They will focus on space travel and traditional “soft” SF thrillers, alternate worlds and histories, and classic epic fantasy.

All Kensington’s editors will be acquiring for the new imprint, and they are actively seeking submissions. For more information, see their site.

On 9/24/2016 at 8:58 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The Idiot Gods (The Maji Trilogy) by David Zindell - 23 March 2017 (Harper Voyager)

This had been listed on Amazon for years under another name that I had on a list of forthcoming interests and just a little over a month ago I saw it had Zindell as the author instead.  It's been so long that I cannot remember the pseudonym it listed under.  I want to say the last name was Blake.  I'd have to go back and look through my old issues of the quarterly forthcoming books lists in Locus to see if it was listed there and under what name. 

10 hours ago, C Rutherford said:

This had been listed on Amazon for years under another name that I had on a list of forthcoming interests and just a little over a month ago I saw it had Zindell as the author instead.  It's been so long that I cannot remember the pseudonym it listed under.  I want to say the last name was Blake.  I'd have to go back and look through my old issues of the quarterly forthcoming books lists in Locus to see if it was listed there and under what name. 

I had seen it listed for years as well, under another name.

On 9/23/2016 at 10:45 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The odds of this book cover being "a guy in a hood with a knife" are off the freaking charts. *sigh* I know fantasy can be derivative some times, but this seems like a book summary that was built with madlibs.  It may be great, but it hardly seems original.

7 hours ago, banjax451 said:

The odds of this book cover being "a guy in a hood with a knife" are off the freaking charts. *sigh* I know fantasy can be derivative some times, but this seems like a book summary that was built with madlibs.  It may be great, but it hardly seems original.

Well that's Orbit for you. They focus more on quantity ( which is not always bad)  earlier this they published a book called Hope And Red about two assassins ( I didn't read it)  and the cover had  hooded guy with a knife. I am a member of another fantasy forum and it has been a favourite for them. The forum members' tastes are ummm...... Not completely mature for the lack of a better word. You see they shy from Bakker and his likes ( in fact he may be the forum's most hated author)  Paloni love there is common.So I guess these books have their fan base.

On 15.7.2016 at 8:57 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Empress of the Fall by David Hair

This is the first book in The Sunsurge Quartet. Amazon has the blurb:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Empress-Fall-Sunsurge-Quartet-Book/dp/1784291013/

Desperate for the next Game of Thrones? Pick up Empress of the Fall for your full-on fix of epic fantasy drama and adventure, politicking and romance, blood and guts and power struggles.

The Emperor is dead - long live the Empress!

Emperor Constant is dead and his rivals are scrabbling for power - but any misstep could plunge the land, already devastated by the shocking outcome of the Third Crusade, into a calamitous civil war.

The Imperial throne is not the only one in jeopardy. Two brothers, imprisoned veterans of the Crusades, finally return home to find their father's kingdom being plundered - but the price of regaining their birthright will have far-reaching implications for the entire empire.

In the East, Sultan Salim, peacemaker and visionary ruler, faces his greatest challenge as his people demand an invasion of the West in retribution for the Rondian Crusades

And lurking in the darkness, orchestrating both the power struggles and the inevitable conflicts, is a shadowy group threatening to destroy civilisation itself.

Once more, Urte stands on the brink of cataclysm.

Gollancz acquires new epic fantasy trilogy from bestselling author Stephen Donaldson
http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2016/10/gollancz-acquires-new-epic-fantasy-trilogy-from-bestselling-author-stephen-donaldson/

Gollancz is delighted to announce the acquisition of a new fantasy trilogy, The Great God’s War, from Stephen Donaldson, author of the multi-million-selling Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series.

Set in a visionary new world in the midst of a magical war, the trilogy follows a prince who embarks on a desperate quest to find a sorcerous library that might hold the knowledge required to save his kingdom. The prince’s journey is told in an intricate tale, filled with Donaldson’s trademark ingenious world-building, strong characterisation, and riveting storytelling.

The first book in the trilogy, Seventh Decimate, will be published in hardback, export trade paperback, audio download and eBook in October 2017.

The Never King by Jon Abbot (Tor UK) - May 2017

THE NEVER KING is a gripping gaol-break story, an action-packed tale of revenge, oppression and heroism. It's a standalone novel,  perfect for fans of epic fantasy by David Gemmell, Brandon Sanderson, John Gwynne or Joe Abercrombie. And it's coming to a bookshop near you in May 2017!

But the question of the moment is: who is Jon Abbott?

The author has attracted some passionate fans over his writing career but is now trying a new direction under a pseudonym. His identity is therefore shrouded in mystery . . . for the moment at least. Look out for our twitter competition, where we will give you the chance to guess his identity and win some Tor books.

Xavir Argentum is the legendary former commander of an elite warrior cadre. But Xavir was framed for an atrocity during an epic battle and imprisoned for life, taking him out of the running for the crown itself. Then, while powerless to influence events, the kingdom he'd sworn to protect fell into the hands of a tyrant. It will be up to a few - a mixed bag of rogues and heroes - to right some great wrongs. But first, Xavir must make his escape . . .

https://twitter.com/UKTor/

But the question of the moment is: who is Jon Abbott?

The author has attracted some passionate fans over his writing career but is now trying a new direction under a pseudonym. His identity is therefore shrouded in mystery . . . for the moment at least. Look out for our twitter competition, where we will give you the chance to guess his identity and win some Tor books.

Groan. Look...the book sounds interesting. But this...this is a turnoff. Marketing nonsense.

Archived