The books coming out in 2017

AncalagonTheBlack

On 9/24/2016 at 6:28 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The Idiot Gods (The Maji Trilogy) by David Zindell - 23 March 2017 (Harper Voyager)

Totally different blurbs for the ebook and the hardcover!! :wacko:

The Stone in the Skull by Elizabeth Bear (Tor Books) – October 10, 2017

Hugo Award–winning author Elizabeth Bear returns to her critically acclaimed epic fantasy world of the Eternal Sky with a brand new trilogy.

The Stone in the Skull, the first volume in her new trilogy, takes readers over the dangerous mountain passes of the Steles of the Sky and south into the Lotus Kingdoms.

The Gage is a brass automaton created by a wizard of Messaline around the core of a human being. His wizard is long dead, and he works as a mercenary. He is carrying a message from a the most powerful sorcerer of Messaline to the Rajni of the Lotus Kingdom. With him is The Dead Man, a bitter survivor of the body guard of the deposed Uthman Caliphate, protecting the message and the Gage. They are friends, of a peculiar sort.

They are walking into a dynastic war between the rulers of the shattered bits of a once great Empire.

Yes, too bad about The Witchwood Crown getting nudged back again, but this makes a lot of sense and is probably a good call. Three months apart was always a little close. No big deal. A publication date for Bear's The Stone in the Skull is a cause for much joy; this is a major point of anticipation for me! As for Daniel Abraham, I'm sure the Expanse keeps him plenty busy. Has he said he is done with fantasy full stop? Or just that he feels he has said what he came to say and has no current plans?

This is minutia for most of us so long as we get the books in the end, but I'm starting to wonder what's going on with Roc Books -- publishers of Butcher, Bishop, Older, Marillier, Wexler, etc. Their future publication schedule has been stuck at March 2017 on Amazon's various websites for quite a while now, and I see that at least one series that Roc was publishing, Aliette De Boddard's Dominion of the Fallen books, is moving over to Ace, their sister imprint. I wonder if Roc's list is being folded into Ace or something. If some shuffle of this kind is going on hopefully authors don't get lost in the transition. For instance, Django Wexler still has one Shadow Campaigns novel to go with them. Also according to her blog Juliet Marillier, whose adult work they've published for years if I'm remembering rightly, currently does not have a novel contract for the first time in a long time.

Found this from a Daniel Abraham Reddit done earlier this year:

I've got three more Expanse novels up first. We'll be finishing that story in book 9. Beyond that, I've got a crime novel I'm thinking about, a cosmic horror novel, and a couple weird contemporary fantasy things that might be fun.

The thing I'd really like to play with for a while are stand-alone novels. Almost everything I've done has been a series. Tightening up the focus could be really interesting.

I'm not that surprised to read that about Abraham.

The Long Price series was 4 short novels in which he tried to do something different.

Then the Dagger and the Coin is a 5 part series of significantly longer novels, the result in part of that brainstorming session he did with other authors years ago, maybe some of you remember that. So Dagger and the Coin was the big idea that came from that and that required a fair bit of effort. So it's not that strange that having finished that, something else would be required to cleanse the palete.

Abercrombie took a break from the First Law world as well after 6 books.

Scott Lynch and Pat Rothfuss also seem to be taking breaks in between books.

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Scott Lynch and Pat Rothfuss also seem to be taking breaks in between books.

I suppose that's one way to put it. (Not being critical - I don't really care how long it takes an author to write a book...they don't "owe" me anything.) But I'm not sure how much of a "break" it is so much as things taking a long time. Neither has published much outside of their series other than some short(ish) fiction.

I'm personally of the opinion that that is not the sole reason for the lack of output though.

Just because someone has a certain condition and is dealing with it, doesn't mean he isn't also delaying books for reasons that other authors also struggle with. To name an example, Thorn of Emberlain is clearly being delayed this particular time because Lynch was moving house and didn't do the work that he was supposed to do over the summer, to get the book ready for publication. 

Archived