Attempted Coup in Turkey

Fez

If that's the rumor, even if not true, I guess Erdogan wasn't actually out of the country. He was on vacation though, that I'm pretty sure about.

Just now, Fez said:

If that's the rumor, even if not true, I guess Erdogan wasn't actually out of the country. He was on vacation though, that I'm pretty sure about.

Italian websites say he was on holiday in Bodrum, some seaside resort in Turkey I've never heard about before.

This might be a very good thing. Erdogan is a nasty piece of work. We can only hope that this will aloow the public to democratically elect competent, sane, leadership. 

5 minutes ago, Hoppy Hour said:

Italian websites say he was on holiday in Bodrum, some seaside resort in Turkey I've never heard about before.

Bodrum is a pretty little seaside town and a very popular summer vacation spot for many Europeans, not just Turks.  It has also been a popular spot on the cruise ship circuit, a stop we made on a Greek Island cruise we made a few years ago, one less used since terrorist violence at Turkish tourist stops started happening.

13 minutes ago, Hoppy Hour said:

Apparently Erdogan and his chief of military staff have been arrested, head of secret services appears to be missing.

I've also heard rumours that Ergodan is flying to Ataturk airport and will make a statement imminently, and rumours that he has fled the country...

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Bodrum is a pretty little seaside town and a very popular summer vacation spot for many Europeans, not just Turks.  It has also been a popular spot on the cruise ship circuit, a stop we made on a Greek Island cruise we made a few years ago, one less used since terrorist violence at Turkish tourist stops started happening.

Yeah my bad, it never crossed my mind to go to the seaside there and I don't care for cruises, but I suppose it's a popular resort if the head of state goes there (and I know plenty of people who went on holiday somewhere on the Turkey coast).

I would point out that the trials against the military that sent many officers to jail a couple of years ago gave Erdogan a chance to replace those officers with people who supported him.  I am hearing on the news that a top general is being held captive by pro-government forces.

So not only is the country divided between the government and the military, the military is divided.  Don't take anything for granted just yet.

Here's one news feed. They're doing a good job of coallating everything.

It looks like the government downplaying the attempt was an act of desperation. Video showing helicopters firing on targets in the Ankara, the military out in force. Relatively restrained so far, not stopping people taking photographs or video right now.

And yes, there have been three previous coups in Turkey which each ended - eventually - in the restoration of democratic government based on the original founding, secular constitution. That doesn't mean the process was easy, bloodless or did not create a long period of uncertainty. And certainly the previous coups did not take place with a massive civil war raging next door and Russia sabre-rattling across the Black Sea.

8 minutes ago, Sophelia said:

I've also heard rumours that Ergodan is flying to Ataturk airport and will make a statement imminently, and rumours that he has fled the country...

It'll probably be nothing but rumors until sometime mid-to-late morning tomorrow, local time. It certainly seems like the coup is succeeding/has succeeded; but until there's confirmation that Ergodan has been arrested or fled the country, nothing is certain.

17 minutes ago, Relic said:

This might be a very good thing. Erdogan is a nasty piece of work. We can only hope that this will aloow the public to democratically elect competent, sane, leadership. 

The problem is that Turkish democracy repeatedly tends to trend towards the fundamentalist eventually. I mean, Erdogan was democratically elected. I suspect in the long term it will reset to the more secular and open, if only because of the threat of the military, but if it's going to last there's going to have to be a longer-term plan and I doubt they have one.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Fez, the news here is reporting Erdogan and his supporters are claiming to still be in control....

It will be all sound and noise for awhile. I wouldn't put much faith in what anyone is saying until the situation has been resolved, more or less. 

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Erdogan making a statement by Facetime. Someone holding a mobile phone up in the news studio.

I liked this tweet by Anshel Pfeffer

A certain grim irony in Erdogan who shut down free media and tried to shut down social media now having to make his statement via facetime.

From the BBC:

A European Union source tells the Reuters news agency: "It looks like a relatively well orchestrated coup by a substantial body of the military, not just a few colonels." "They control several strategic points in Istanbul. Given the scale of the operation, it is difficult to imagine they will stop short of prevailing," the source adds.

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Fez, the news here is reporting Erdogan and his supporters are claiming to still be in control....

Its important that both sides get their message out in a coup. If either goes silent, people will assume that side lost. There will be competing messages for a while.

That said, the fact that Erdogan was able to get his message on to at least one of the TV stations in Turkey suggests that the military doesn't have as complete control as it looked like they did. Once they were broadcasting on the TV stations, I assumed it was over. But I guess they don't have all of them yet.

Archived