Attempted Coup in Turkey

Fez

I'm hearing that the TV station the military were broadcasting on has gone off.
They were asking people to stay indoors, but Erdogan has asked people to go out on the streets.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Its important that both sides get their message out in a coup. If either goes silent, people will assume that side lost. There will be competing messages for a while.

That said, the fact that Erdogan was able to get his message on to at least one of the TV stations in Turkey suggests that the military doesn't have as complete control as it looked like they did. Once they were broadcasting on the TV stations, I assumed it was over. But I guess they don't have all of them yet.

Using facetime to broadcast doesn't suggest control of the station.

12 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The problem is that Turkish democracy repeatedly tends to trend towards the fundamentalist eventually. I mean, Erdogan was democratically elected. I suspect in the long term it will reset to the more secular and open, if only because of the threat of the military, but if it's going to last there's going to have to be a longer-term plan and I doubt they have one.

Didn't Erdogan use strong-arm tactics to win the last election?

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

He's communicating via facetime.  If thats the best he can do he's on the run, at best.

No, it just means he doesn't have access to a television camera right now. So he clearly doesn't have control of the situation, but he doesn't mean he's lost and on the run either. The fact that right now he's the one broadcasting is a pretty good sign for him, IMO.

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Using facetime to broadcast doesn't suggest control of the station.

Sure, but the notion that someone would have ability to broadcast a message when they're on vacation within minutes of action happening is a pretty tall order. 

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

No, it just means he doesn't have access to a television camera right now. So he clearly doesn't have control of the situation, but he doesn't mean he's lost and on the run either. The fact that right now he's the one broadcasting is a pretty good sign for him, IMO.

If this was 20 years ago, he would not be broadcasting anything. A bit harder to stop a message getting out with modern technology everywhere. All this means is that he has not been taken yet, so there is still a chance for him.

2 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

AFP reported there was a violent explosion in Ankara, in addition to reports of gunfire.

At/near the state TV building, they are saying, though nobody is quite definite

44 minutes ago, Hoppy Hour said:

Or Boris Johnson for that matter.

Boris is part Turkish*, he probably knows more about the region than you think

*his great-grandfather was a minister in the government of the Ottoman Empire

It would be disastrous for Erdoğan if he was unable to communicate even via Facetime, but unlikely that he would have any other means to do so. So it does not tell us a huge deal beyond his continued freedom.

1 minute ago, Horse of Kent said:

It would be disastrous for Erdoğan if he was unable to communicate even via Facetime, but unlikely that he would have any other means to do so. So it does not tell us a huge deal beyond his continued freedom.

Apparently he is on live TV now, as in, cameras and sound people must be with him now (not necessarily in a studio).

50 minutes ago, Hoppy Hour said:

Or Boris Johnson for that matter.

Johnson's great-grandfather was a Turkish politician who was murdered during a previous military coup, so I imagine he does have a few thoughts on the matter.

2 minutes ago, Leap said:

- Trump's tweet.

So, not 100% sure on what he's saying here... doubtful that he's bragging about the inevitable military coup after he becomes president, so perhaps threatening Clinton or Obama with a coup? What? Does he realise he's a legitimate contender in the democratic election? 

Not that I expected it to make sense.

This is actually a joke yea? Trump hasn't tweeted for seven hours according to his feed.

The BBC has a live feed from one of the bridges. A large number of civilians were crossing in defiance of the military and the military is apparently firing over their heads. The people are taking cover.

Archived