Pokemon Go

Denvek

You have to wonder if this will come back to hurt Nintendo at some point. We were talking at work this week and it turns out that a gym(?) is located on company property under a water tower. So at a manufacturing plant you have people trespassing because the game is placing the objects they are after on private property. I don't know the game well but I understand you walk around and look for them. So if you are already trespassing and now see a Pikachu thing farther in the property and keep going after it and get hurt, does this ever at some point come back to the game maker who is sending these people into private property and hazardous areas? Yes the people are choosing to go there, but isn't that the whole idea of the game? Plus, people win law suits over ridiculous things and I could see this being the next one.

I actually like the premise of the game and really like that its getting people out and about with each other, but worry about kids and others wandering into places they shouldn't be. 

We've also had kids being stuck in caves: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-36805615

Cars crashing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36850110

Police being called for Pokemon theft: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-36825934

People walking out into traffic: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-36854134

Kids being shot: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36818384

Government warnings over minefields: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36841828

The Darwin awards are going to need a new section, purely for Pokemon players.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

You have to wonder if this will come back to hurt Nintendo at some point. We were talking at work this week and it turns out that a gym(?) is located on company property under a water tower. So at a manufacturing plant you have people trespassing because the game is placing the objects they are after on private property. I don't know the game well but I understand you walk around and look for them. So if you are already trespassing and now see a Pikachu thing farther in the property and keep going after it and get hurt, does this ever at some point come back to the game maker who is sending these people into private property and hazardous areas? Yes the people are choosing to go there, but isn't that the whole idea of the game? Plus, people win law suits over ridiculous things and I could see this being the next one.

I actually like the premise of the game and really like that its getting people out and about with each other, but worry about kids and others wandering into places they shouldn't be. 

People that wonder about these sort of things have not actually played the game, because that's not how it really works. You won't "see a Pikachu" further into the property and have to wander closer to get it. Once a Pokemon appears on your screen, you can capture it right away. There is no chasing after it.

And, you don't have to be right on top of a gym or Pokestop to use it. The game gives you several meters of leeway. You can access all of those things from the street without actually going onto the property.

3 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

People that wonder about these sort of things have not actually played the game, because that's not how it really works. You won't "see a Pikachu" further into the property and have to wander closer to get it. Once a Pokemon appears on your screen, you can capture it right away. There is no chasing after it.

And, you don't have to be right on top of a gym or Pokestop to use it. The game gives you several meters of leeway. You can access all of those things from the street without actually going onto the property.

See this is where media reports mislead people, make it sound like you just wander aimlessly until you stumble across something on your screen. The way I was interpreting the reports is that the best way to get them was to like walk a CSI grid or something!

The problem with the water tower is that it's 20-30 feet on property.

On 7/17/2016 at 8:49 PM, Mexal said:

I evolved my Eevee and was so surprised when it went to a 900+ Vaporeon. Score! 

The worst is when you walk 5k, hatch an egg and it's a fucking Rattata or Zubat. I cried. Maybe not as much as if it was a pidgey or magicarp (150 candy!) but close.

I just hatched two goddamned Weedles. Well, at least I got all that walking in, I suppose... 

The other day I managed to take over a gym for all of three minutes. I had no idea what I was doing, I just mashed my fingers on the touchscreen until I was victorious. :lol:

4 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I just hatched two goddamned Weedles. Well, at least I got all that walking in, I suppose... 

The other day I managed to take over a gym for all of three minutes. I had no idea what I was doing, I just mashed my fingers on the touchscreen until I was victorious. :lol:

:lol: that's what I did. Two nights ago, my puppy got up at 4am then was a total bitch when I took him out so I walked him over to a gym and started mashing buttons. I took it over like 4 times but someone kept jumping in when it became neutral. What the fuck? It was 4am and no one else was around!

I also do the button mash thing with gyms.  I have no idea what the point of it is, but it feels cathartic.

I've snuck pokemon go several times now.  I feel bad about it because the kids caught me once and wanted to know why they couldn't play.  I swear I almost understood why parents lie to their kids because I was soooo close to lying about what I was really doing.  Mostly I just wanted to get some mileage to hatch eggs.  The distance counter is pretty flawed on the game.  I can walk three miles and it only clocks .5 km.  I don't even know why I try as, like others have mentioned, I only get shit from hatched eggs.  

So, I have a few questions about gameplay (part genuine curiosity, part so I can have half an idea about talking about this at work...), and keep in mind I have the barest working knowledge of Pokemon in general...

are there certain, static spots where Pokemon are? Like, does the game designate pick some random coordinate and say "this particular... Breed? is here. There is always a pikachu in Al's Cafe on State St, come and get it"?

you catch Pokemon either as actual creatures in the wild (in a poke ball?), and/or hatch them from eggs, encountered randomly?

a gym is the place where Pokemon actually fight each other, or does that also happen in the wild, player v player? Follow up: what happens if you win a battle? do you get to keep your opponents Pokemon? Do you earn "gold" or some other sort of in game currency or points? Is the losing creature destroyed?

what exactly is a pokespot or (pokestop)? Are they like pet stores where you buy good Pokemon?

do the teams matter, and how so?

are there ways non-playing entries can interact in the game? can my store host some kind of Pokemon party or other cool thing for players?

can people trade their animals between other players?

I don't think it's static, but similar Pokemon crop up in similar areas - e.g. you're more likely to find water-type Pokemon if you're near a lake or the sea than if you're not. Also, since the algorithms are based on Niantic's previous game, Ingress, Pokemon are more likely to be found in places where people use more mobile data.

You catch Pokemon in the wild and also hatch them from eggs, which are one of the possible items you can get from visiting Pokestops.

Battling only happens at gyms, you can't fight other players directly. If you win a battle it lowers the "prestige" of the gym - get it down to zero and you can take it over yourself. You only earn the in-game currency by having Pokemon in gyms (or by spending real money). The losing creature in a gym battle gets sent back to its owner (if you have a Pokemon in a gym you can't use it to fight another gym, you have to wait until someone else beats it and kicks it out).

Pokestops are places where you get items. You go there, activate it, and get given 3-5 random items.

Teams only matter for control of gyms, outside of gym battles they are irrelevant except for trash talking.

Trading is not in the game yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is added at some point.

7 hours ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

So, I have a few questions about gameplay (part genuine curiosity, part so I can have half an idea about talking about this at work...), and keep in mind I have the barest working knowledge of Pokemon in general...

are there certain, static spots where Pokemon are? Like, does the game designate pick some random coordinate and say "this particular... Breed? is here. There is always a pikachu in Al's Cafe on State St, come and get it"?

you catch Pokemon either as actual creatures in the wild (in a poke ball?), and/or hatch them from eggs, encountered randomly?

a gym is the place where Pokemon actually fight each other, or does that also happen in the wild, player v player? Follow up: what happens if you win a battle? do you get to keep your opponents Pokemon? Do you earn "gold" or some other sort of in game currency or points? Is the losing creature destroyed?

what exactly is a pokespot or (pokestop)? Are they like pet stores where you buy good Pokemon?

do the teams matter, and how so?

are there ways non-playing entries can interact in the game? can my store host some kind of Pokemon party or other cool thing for players?

can people trade their animals between other players?

There are spots in the game (corresponding with areas IRL) where pokemon spawn. You'll get different classes of pokemon (water type, grass type, etc) more frequently in spots that correspond to the pokemon type, e.g. lots of grass-types in parks, lots of water-types near fountains, rivers, lakes, etc. But any pokemon can spawn anywhere, so you're only really looking at probabilities of getting a certain type. There are spots where a specific type of pokemon will spawn, so you can actually camp on that spot and "fish" for it. But we're talking hours of being in one spot, so it's only worth it if it's near work, home, or a bar. Rare/legendary pokemon seem to spawn at random.

You catch pokemon with pokeballs OR you hatch them. You incubate eggs by walking, and eggs come in three distance classes: 2km, 5km, 10km. You can only power-up or evolve your pokemon with stardust and pokecandy.

A Pokestop is a location where there's this module with which you can interact. Spin the circle in the middle and it will give you pokeballs, potions, eggs, etc. (depends on what level you're at -- low levels you get just pokeballs; higher up you get revive crystals or other things). The two things you can't get from Pokestops are stardust and pokecandy -- those you can only get by catching pokemon.

Teams don't matter except when taking over gyms. If a gym is held by a competing team, you have to beat it and take the gym over. If your team owns a gym, then you battle there to train your pokemon and gain experience points (XP).

Not that I know of, although if you want to be good to your customers and your store is a Pokestop (or very near one), you could put in Lure Modules (little devices that draw pokemon to a Pokestop for 30 minutes). In my neighborhood there are three Pokestops very near to each other. Last night someone had put Lure modules in all three, and there were at least 20 people (myself included) just standing on this tiny stretch of sidewalk waiting for the Pokemon to show up. I left a Lure module in one of the stops when I left as a thank-you payback and pay-forward to the other players. But I could see something like this (places sponsoring Pokestops) happen in the future if Niantic wanted to increase their revenue.

No trading, but I could see that happening in a later version. 

32 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Has anybody heard of somebody who's managed to evolve a Magikarp?

I've seen a Gyarados in a gym, but I don't know if that was evolved or if they naturally spawn sometimes.

Archived