Pokemon Go

Denvek

I named my Eviee Rainer so I would get a Vaporeon. At 860, it is the highest one I've got. I picked blue but it seems most of the gyms around here are red. I have been transfering the lower powered pokemons to the professor for one candy and saving the higher powered ones. I have a question. Is there any reason why I would keep the lesser powered unevolved pokemons? If I have Weepinbell, should I keep the Bellsprouts? Obviously I catch them all to level up. I see no way of winning at any gym since I started during the awful server down time. I had three accounts by the end of it all. Ugh. I'm just in level 12.

I haven't found any reason to keep low-powered (less than 300 CP) pokemon around. I farm them back to the Professor so I can power up the 300+ unevolved pokemon before I evolve them. 

Remember that most of the critters have a max CP, so you'll eventually catch up. Also remember that as you level up, you'll be able to catch some already-powerful pokemon. Do that, then hoard some stardust for a bit, and you'll have a beast in the four-digit CP range pretty soon. Also, I actually took over a gym last night with a bunch of theoretically underpowered pokemon, so CP isn't always the determinant of who wins the battle or gym.

Speaking of -- I ALMOST sniped a gym away from some combatants today. We were driving past the gym really slowly, and I saw it go grey. I tried to quickly install Smithers (my most-powerful Pinsir) into the gym...and just as I tried to do so we drove out of range. ARRRRRRGH. *shakes fist*

37 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I haven't found any reason to keep low-powered (less than 300 CP) pokemon around. I farm them back to the Professor so I can power up the 300+ unevolved pokemon before I evolve them. 

Remember that most of the critters have a max CP, so you'll eventually catch up. Also remember that as you level up, you'll be able to catch some already-powerful pokemon. Do that, then hoard some stardust for a bit, and you'll have a beast in the four-digit CP range pretty soon. Also, I actually took over a gym last night with a bunch of theoretically underpowered pokemon, so CP isn't always the determinant of who wins the battle or gym.

Thank you for the info. I have one more question. My Pokedex goes to 145 but there's 500 Pokemons. Do you know how that works? Thank you!!

I have no further insight than what Leap has already supplied.

But, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised when I evolved one of my high-CP first-tier pokemon (I even gave it few rounds of powering up so it was near its class limit) and that fucker more than tripled in CP. I now have a nice 1500+ bruiser to go with a few 1000+ workadays. Gonna have fun taking a run at some gyms tonight! (not going to say what type because some of the fun is finding out what happens when you hit the "evolve" button)

40 minutes ago, Leap said:

There's only the original 151 Pokemon released on Pokemon Go at this point - the first generation. The second generation will probably get released eventually as part of an update. And so on.

There's (presumably) only 145 on the pokedex because five of them are Legendary (Mew, Mewtwo, Articuno, Moltres, Zapdos) and will only be released as part of an event. Also, my Pokedex only goes up to 140, so I think it only shows as many as the highest Pokemon you've seen (i.e. you might have seen a Dragonair but not a Dragonite, because discounting the legendaries, Dragonite is the 146th Pokemon.) I might be jumping to the wrong conclusion there, though.

Yes, I have a Dratini. Thank you for the info. I've been evolving before powering up. Is that bad strategy? I see that X-Ray has powered up first and gotten some good results.

it depends, really. But after trial and error, I've found that it's usually more efficient (and less costly) to power up and then evolve. But I also evolved a lot of crappy pokemon early in my tenure while I also had a Lucky Egg deployed. That gives you 2X XP, and I have gone very quickly from a Level 8 to a Level 19 (almost to 20) just with judicious use of Lucky Eggs, evolution, and typical pokefarming. I am sure others have other strategies that are as good as, or better than, mine. :)  In reality, if you want high-CP evolved pokemon, only evolve those that are within about 10 percent of their CP max and only invest in powering up of pokemon that are within 15 percent of their CP max.

I'm a level 10.  I went to the beach the past week and definitely noticed more water type pokemon there, which further supports the biomes aspect of the game.  I went to Manteo in the Outer Banks for an evening, and for anyone who knows about the lost colony there in the late 1500's can agree that that would be a historic landmark/ancient history.  I'm not sure if is a coincidence that i snagged a Kabutops there. 

On a side note, I had an unknown cp Scyther run away after he broke free from my ball. Pretty frustrating. I will be using berries for this moment on.

ETA:

Pokemon I missed out on during the trip: Hitmonchan, Scyther, Exeggutor, and Tauros.  All popped up on radar but I never got the chance to whip virtual balls at them. Sigh.

A gym down the street from my house is currently being defended by three pokemon, the strongest of which weighs in at a mighty 452 CP. If it wasn't so hot out I'd walk down there and take it over with, oh, maybe my half-powered Butterfree or something equally unthreatening, on General Principles. 

I went to visit my Dad at his nursing home today. I caught a Geodude, a Vulpix, and a Ponyta. I was so happy to see that someone had set a lure at one of the properties' water fountains. I know there's controversy about the locations of stops but I really like and appreciate that there's one at the nursing home and that someone set a lure there.

On July 26, 2016 at 0:59 AM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Amazing

On 7/26/2016 at 0:59 AM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

:lol:

I caught a Pikachu today. Totally underpowered, but a nice milestone. Also caught a battle-ready 1100+ Magmar...with a regular Pokeball and a berry. I'm as surprised as anyone!

Wonders never cease. I defeated and became owner of a level three gym with my vaporeon. Within minutes I was gone, but now I have a fever, a fever for gym battles. I, like X-Ray will try to level up and strengthen mine warriors. This is going to be EPIC!

Archived