Rhaegar's Debut

Asvpxkvng

Given that Jon Snow's parentage has finally been breached in the show we can expect more on the topic next season. This will inevitably mean a flashback involving Rhaegar. We will finally get to see this great influential character that arguably shaped many of the events that take place throughout the show. He's probably the character I'm most interested in the entire show and we've never even seen him! This thread is to talk about how he will be introduced. My personal thoughts are that the episode they debut him in will start with a "Previously on Game of Thrones" collection of scenes one of which will be referencing Rhaegar, possibly his "abduction" of Lyanna or just a reference to him and one of his lovable traits, and then we see his affair with Lyanna build through Bran's flashbacks. I'm hoping we might even get to see a secret wedding between him and a certain fair Lady Stark. I think we all can agree that we hope whoever they cast portrays this massively important and looming character in the correctly. I hope to see parallels in Rhaegar's honor to his sons unshakeable sense of doing what's right. What would you like to see?

I've been fascinated with Rhaegar of late too. However I have some doubts they'd show him in a flashback as I see it more focused on Jon's mother rather than father even though he's a good part of the story.

In saying that I would love to see him. I think they should show Rhaegar giving Lyanna the blue roses at the Tourney, then seeing them together showing he didn't kidnap her.

Or even Dany having a dream of Rhaegar would be cool.

I do suspect that Jon and Brans stories next season might end up being more focus on exposition and character building as you have the potential for so much action in the south. That would leave plenty of room for flashbacks and maybe Bran actually bringing Jon along for the ride if they meet?

i honestly don't feel that it is necessary for them to go back and show Rhaegar in order to progress the storyline of the remaining two season.  it is unfortunate as I would also like to see this pretty likable character by many (minus the whole Lyanna thing).  the way Sir Baristan talks about him alone is enough to know that he was an interesting cat to say the least.

I think we all would like to see Rhaegar, but seeing as D&D really don't think flashbacks are necessary besides when need for just show watcher, I'm not holding my breath. Who would they cast for the role I wonder?

16 hours ago, Trump the Builder said:

i honestly don't feel that it is necessary for them to go back and show Rhaegar in order to progress the storyline of the remaining two season.  it is unfortunate as I would also like to see this pretty likable character by many (minus the whole Lyanna thing).  the way Sir Baristan talks about him alone is enough to know that he was an interesting cat to say the least.

LMAO YOUR USERNAME!!!! Good job :D

I don't see why they would add another character to the show when they only have 13 more episodes to go. I wouldn't mind him appearing, but do they have time to show their budding love story?

Also, and lets be realistic here...no matter who they cast as him or how they show him people here will complain about it until they can't type any longer.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 10:26 PM, Sir Matthis Light said:

I think we all would like to see Rhaegar, but seeing as D&D really don't think flashbacks are necessary besides when need for just show watcher, I'm not holding my breath. Who would they cast for the role I wonder?

It's true that D+D are on record saying they don't like using flashbacks, but it's clear that now with the whole Bran/3ER thing that they have started using his greensight as a vehicle to flashback to the past. I suspect we will see Rhaegar glimpses through this mechanism. We've already seen Aerys and Lyanna.

1 hour ago, JMJ said:

It's true that D+D are on record saying they don't like using flashbacks, but it's clear that now with the whole Bran/3ER thing that they have started using his greensight as a vehicle to flashback to the past. I suspect we will see Rhaegar glimpses through this mechanism. We've already seen Aerys and Lyanna.

Interesting enough, after I posted about D&D not being keen on flashbacks, and not being sure on seeing Prince Rhaegar, they revealed new locations picture's for Season 7. One of the picture locations looks like it could be used for a ToH:  http://watchersonthewall.com/several-new-locations-spain-confirmed-game-thrones-season-7/

Not sure why they would need a mini Colosseum for S7, for any other purpose then for a ToH flashback scene. Don't imagine False Queen Cersei is gonna have a tourney to celebrate her last child's death and her ascent to the Iron Throne. Also not to mention the HUGE coalition that's coming her way :o . So we might just see Rhaegar after all.

I was at about 15 to 20 % of no Tourney of Harrenhal flashback in S7, but with that one picture I'd say I'm at about 40 to 45% now.

1 hour ago, Sir Matthis Light said:

Interesting enough, after I posted about D&D not being keen on flashbacks, and not being sure on seeing Prince Rhaegar, they revealed new locations picture's for Season 7. One of the picture locations looks like it could be used for a ToH:  http://watchersonthewall.com/several-new-locations-spain-confirmed-game-thrones-season-7/

Not sure why they would need a mini Colosseum for S7, for any other purpose then for a ToH flashback scene. Don't imagine False Queen Cersei is gonna have a tourney to celebrate her last child's death and her ascent to the Iron Throne. Also not to mention the HUGE coalition that's coming her way :o . So we might just see Rhaegar after all.

I was at about 15 to 20 % of no Tourney of Harrenhal flashback in S7, but with that one picture I'd say I'm at about 40 to 45% now.

Cool. TOH would be an awesome flashback to show, and I think it would be a succinct way for the show to tie together Rhaegar, Robert, Lyanna, Howland Reed, Ned, etc.

12 hours ago, JMJ said:

Cool. TOH would be an awesome flashback to show, and I think it would be a succinct way for the show to tie together Rhaegar, Robert, Lyanna, Howland Reed, Ned, etc.

Is Howland Reed even still going to show up in the present time? I'm starting to have my doubts, since it seems his whole deal is to confirm Jon's parentage. Although, with Jon now being DAKINGINDANORFF, maybe Howland will come to pay his respects and drop the ParentBomb then.

As for Rhaegar, sure, why not show him at this point? With, they have free reign to show any point of time in the ASOIAF timeline, they've already shown Jon's mother, why not show his father too to make it blatantly obvious to show watchers just who Jon is? Because remember, at this point, they've only really mentioned that Rhaegar "Kidnapped and raped" Lyanna. That's most likely not the case, so they would have good reason to show how things really happened.

5 hours ago, Aegonzo The Great said:

Is Howland Reed even still going to show up in the present time? I'm starting to have my doubts, since it seems his whole deal is to confirm Jon's parentage. Although, with Jon now being DAKINGINDANORFF, maybe Howland will come to pay his respects and drop the ParentBomb then.

I think he still important for the characters IN the show... Bran is not really important for them now... He's important for us (now)... As long as what he discovers remains safely with him and us, he doesn't have any importance for the people in the show... But Howland Reed can reveal things to the people in the show...

5 hours ago, Aegonzo The Great said:

As for Rhaegar, sure, why not show him at this point? With, they have free reign to show any point of time in the ASOIAF timeline, they've already shown Jon's mother, why not show his father too to make it blatantly obvious to show watchers just who Jon is? Because remember, at this point, they've only really mentioned that Rhaegar "Kidnapped and raped" Lyanna. That's most likely not the case, so they would have good reason to show how things really happened.

Are you sure Rhaegar is Jon's father? They didn't say anything about the father... They showed the mother...-_-

8 hours ago, Aegonzo The Great said:

At first after reading the books, I thought the same about Howland Reed. He served no other purpose than to hopefully be the witness to Jon's parentage for "present day" Westeros. Right now on the show, it's still unknown to anyone alive in present-day Westeros, as far as we know, other than Howland and now Bran. But given the show's penchant for combining storylines and streamlining things, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to never show a present-day Howland. That would mean that Bran will somehow be the one to reveal to the rest of the world Jon's parentage.

As for Rhaegar, yes, I'm not sure there is a plan by GRRM (or the show) to "correct" the story about Rhaegar "raping" Lyanna. It would be totally in line with the story for the rest of the world (including Jon) to continue to think that Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna, whilst Jon goes on being Jon and bumbling his way through to his destiny as the PTWP.

20 minutes ago, JMJ said:

As for Rhaegar, yes, I'm not sure there is a plan by GRRM (or the show) to "correct" the story about Rhaegar "raping" Lyanna. It would be totally in line with the story for the rest of the world (including Jon) to continue to think that Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna, whilst Jon goes on being Jon and bumbling his way through to his destiny as the PTWP.

You make Jon sound like a medieval Forrest Gump.

Hey, wait! "Stupid is as stupid does..... You know nothing, Jon Snow...."

Hmmmmmm...........

2 minutes ago, Aegonzo The Great said:

You make Jon sound like a medieval Forrest Gump.

Hey, wait! "Stupid is as stupid does..... You know nothing, Jon Snow...."

Hmmmmmm...........

Well, I'm generally a fan of Jon, especially in the books, but since his resurrection, he seems to have had zero plan. Run Jon, Run!

I don't think we will ever see Rhaegar or Howland Reed on the show. I'm putting my money on Bran revealing Jon's parentage to him. I guess we'll get a flashback of the Tower of Joy, but this time we are able to hear what Lyanna is whispering to Ned...

10 hours ago, Nami said:

Only if they could cast Chris Hemsworth. Impossible, so no, I don't want to see Rhaegar. Leave him in my thoughts only.

I always thought either Alexander Skarsgard ( http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Alexander-Skarsgard-in-True-Blood-570x392.jpg )

or Travis Fimmel ( https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-bb32a41dde361b0025fe6c55e661544c-c?convert_to_webp=true )

would make a good Rhaegar.

Jace Wayland could also work.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AtTkkxgjgy0/TeWMPtykgOI/AAAAAAAAL5g/-UieJO0RA3k/s400/jamie-campbell-bower-jace-wayland.jpg

Archived